Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral race cars

IMC did a quite fiddly 2E which shows up on ebay occasionally for less than $125. Cox made a nice slot car body, which I think is available in resin, but of course needs a lot to turn it into a atatic model. Paramount and I think Otaki made 2E's but I dont know how much they go for, nor how accurate they are.

Maybe this isn't the right forum, but did anyone kit a Chaparral 2D or 2E other than the Fisher Models $125.00 one? I'd like to build one but that's a little too rich for my budget.

Fisher makes Kits of the Chaparral 2E and F, but not the D. As has been mentioned Monogram made a Kit of the 2D Daytona version (a Curbside or Slot Car option kit) as did Modelers ($$$). Modelers also did a Sebring Resin + Plastic version (again $$$) along with a Nurburgring/LeMans ($$$) which has just lately been repopped and released by Fujimi and can be for ~$60 with shipping from HobbyLink Japan.

IMC and repopped by Union made full detail kits for the Chaparral 2E that if you shop and take your time can be had for <$50 + shipping). I'm not aware of an Otaki Chaparral 2D Kit that I know of (they did release a 1/28 scale 2H).

Ed

You can build a fairly good 2D from the Monogram kit. If you find one, it shouldn’t cost too much.

Received_19_10_2007215028-vi.jpg

Only the top of the engine will be visible. I used the block from the Beer Wagon, which needed a platform to raise it to the correct height.

MVC052S-vi.jpg

DSC00006-vi.jpg

The wheels are from Perry’s, and would be difficult to find now.

This is the kit:

REV2850-vi.jpg

Fisher makes Kits of the Chaparral 2E and F, but not the D. As has been mentioned Monogram made a Kit of the 2D Daytona version (a Curbside or Slot Car option kit) as did Modelers ($$$). Modelers also did a Sebring Resin + Plastic version (again $$$) along with a Nurburgring/LeMans ($$$) which has just lately been repopped and released by Fujimi and can be for ~$60 with shipping from HobbyLink Japan.

IMC and repopped by Union made full detail kits for the Chaparral 2E that if you shop and take your time can be had for <$50 + shipping). I'm not aware of an Otaki Chaparral 2D Kit that I know of (they did release a 1/28 scale 2H).

Ed

I have the Union Kit from "The Memorial Collections". It's in 1/25, which is handy if you want to use a different smallblock Chevy engine. I haven't started it, but it looks very fiddley.

Edited by Helipilot16

Ed, I have the Mini exotic peices, I didn't know about the Fisher,Modelers, and Arrii kits though. Thanks for the info, i WILL look them up!:D:);)

Hi George. Always willing to help others spend their money :P , so here's a couple of links for ya:

Fisher - http://fishermodels.com/?mainURL=/store/category/589p/Model_Kits.html

I haven't delt with these folks, but their prices seem to be good:

Chaparral 2C - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10027067

Chaparral 2D - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10128549 This is a repop of the Modelers Kit.

And if you're looking for the Monogram 2D I've got 2 extras I'd be willing to trade off :lol:

Ed

Thanks Ed, But yes, fortunately I have two of those rascals! They were EASY to come by. The Fisher kits just AREN'T detailed enough for me, for the price. They are ONLY curbsides. and for more than a hundred bucks a pop, I WANT an engine!. VERY nice kits though, as I HAVE seen some BEAUTIFUL(But EXPENSIVE) built ups of them!B):PB)

Thanks Ed, But yes, fortunately I have two of those rascals! They were EASY to come by. The Fisher kits just AREN'T detailed enough for me, for the price. They are ONLY curbsides. and for more than a hundred bucks a pop, I WANT an engine!. VERY nice kits though, as I HAVE seen some BEAUTIFUL(But EXPENSIVE) built ups of them!B);) ;)

Sadly the only Full Detail 1/24-5 Chaparral Kits I'm aware of are the IMC/Union 2E's.

Ed

You can build a fairly good 2D from the Monogram kit. If you find one, it shouldn’t cost too much.

Really nice work, Jon. I especially like how you replicated the add-on oil cooler. I've only seen one decent picture of it on the real car, but it's a must for building an accurate 2D as raced at Daytona.

I've been getting an urge to start on mine.

The IMC/Union was the only full detail Chaparral 2E kit made I have ever seen. The others are all curbsides. Aurora did a 2C full detail kit as well.

When the car was racing in the late 60s, slot car racing was very big and most of the Chaparral models were made as slot car bodies, then adapted to static models, hence no engine detail. Over the years I have built 3 IMC/Union 2E cars and they go together well, with a little work on the hinges and steering. I have also raced, built and collected over 2 dozen different Chaparral models from 1/32nd to 1/10th.

The attached photo is a Monogram 1/24th 2D coupe in front of a very rare 2F coupe radio...not radio controlled, a radio, non-working, now being restored.