Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger

rick6343

Here is AMT's Sunbeam Tiger kit. Originally slated to become a race car, I decided to built it stock after seeing a number of them at car shows. Paint is Tamiya blue. The engine is wired and plumbed. A remote oil filter and radiator expansion tank were added to the engine compartment. The chassis got a scratchbuilt panhard rod. The interior is painted Tamiya Hull Red. I added flocking, a turn signal stalk, and scratchbuilt door handles and window cranks.

I was disappointed with the faint engraving that made foiling the side trim and badging very difficult. It also has a nose-high stance that shows off a lot of the front suspension. I'm not sure if this is accurate, a result of an assembly mistake, or something else. Overall, though, I'm happy with it. I'd still like to get another one to build a race car, if I can find one reasonably priced...

Comments welcome,

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I built the Get Smart Sunbeam as a factory street car a number of years ago and found the same problem with the high front end. I did some work to lower it (can't remember what now)but still think that to much of the suspension is visible. I still have the Tiger version in the Blueprinter release in the stash to build someday.

This would be a nice kit for Round2 to reissue someday. With its club racer heritage it should be popular among modellers wanting to do competition cars.

robw

Beautiful work :):D . There's one I see around town in the summer that's light metallic blue with a set of Minilites and the removable top. It sits at the light in front of my house and you can hear that sweet little Windsor burbling away. Sweet.

Thanks, everyone! It's especially good to have so many call my work "clean."

Robert, That's a great idea. This one is at the top of my reissue wish list (I find this kit difficult to locate, and expensive when I do). I have lots of ideas for an SCCA racer swirling around...

• 2 years later...

I bought the "Get Smart" kit when it first came out. This was the 4-cylinder "Alpine".

The Tiger kit was later released.

I'm watching an old episode of "Get Smart" and noticed at the beginning of the show Maxwell Smart is driving a Tiger!!

You can see the "Tiger" script on the front fender!!

This means the original issue of this kit was wrong!!

Other than that, I like your build!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Kit that Round2 needs to reissue whether it is the 4 banger version or the Tiger. The last time I saw it was the Blue Printer release and the mold appears to be in good shape so it should be a no brainer as a reissue and would be a popular kit for a lot of projects.

Well done. I built the Gwt Smart kit a few years back and it was an enjoyable build.