Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pick up bed trailer

Jantrix

My fifeteen year old son watched me finish this up tonight. He asked, "Dad, you like out doing yourself, don't you?" I replied, "Why else do it?" A heck of a great compliment from my boy. This is the first part of a shop truck and trailer combo. The trailer seemed like fun so it was the first done. The truck will be an AMT 34 Pick-up (flatbed/duelie) that will be mildly weathered. I'll be adding tail lights and license plate when the truck is done. And this will be filled with cardboard boxes and what not of old weathered parts and stuff.

trailer001.jpg

trailer003.jpg

trailer005.jpg

trailer007.jpg

trailer010.jpg

It still needs another wash or two I think, the separation between the rust and paint is too defined and needs a thin wash to help blend the areas. I'll also add some pastels in the inside between the boards and other crevises. I'm real happy with the way it turned out. I gotta tell you guys, this is super easy to do. No salt on this one. Just layered acrylics and some rubbing alcohol. The gritty rust is just matte clear acrylic with baking soda sprinkled on and rusty washes over the top. If you have wanted to do a rust bomb, don't be shy.

Edited by Jantrix

nice job Rob, very realistic and great details. The bed floor looks real and the whole thing captures the look of an old trailer perfectly.

I travel the Carolinas and Virginias in my job and I have seen many of these sitting along side barns and garages, not to mention in many yards and fields.

Keep em coming!

Nice out do,Rob.that looks really cool.You stole the box idea out of my head I'm doing a parts box,parts box also.I'm thinkin of the cardboard myself.I was toying with maybe a personal size(from holloween candy) milk dud box and paint it brown???any help? :D