Model Cars Magazine Forum

i am SO angry right now. i hate models!

why is it every single model i build, there is atleast ONE critical screw up during my model making? i swear. the challenger had something wrong with the frame. the camaro's hood came out like ######, and the headlights didnt fit in right. those are just problems on the two recent ones.

the current one, revell 1970 mustang boss 429..paint=amazing. everything=amazing. im putting on the front bumper area, AND IT DOESNT MATCH UP RIGHT. so here i am, gluing this together, and just holding it for 10 minutes. i let go, one side becomes to unstick. more glue. 10 more minutes. again. 10 more minutes. again. GAH. now my fingers are picking up the paint cause the glue is coming around, and also my hands are getting sweaty so its just pealing off the paint. GAHH

why cant i just have a model with NO problems?

why is it every single model i build, there is atleast ONE critical screw up during my model making? i swear. the challenger had something wrong with the frame. the camaro's hood came out like ######, and the headlights didnt fit in right. those are just problems on the two recent ones.

the current one, revell 1970 mustang boss 429..paint=amazing. everything=amazing. im putting on the front bumper area, AND IT DOESNT MATCH UP RIGHT. so here i am, gluing this together, and just holding it for 10 minutes. i let go, one side becomes to unstick. more glue. 10 more minutes. again. 10 more minutes. again. GAH. now my fingers are picking up the paint cause the glue is coming around, and also my hands are getting sweaty so its just pealing off the paint. GAHH

Cause then it wouldn't be fun!!!!:P :P ;)

Now....calm down...what you are doing is LEARNING!!!..All of us have boo-boos in our builds..see what you did wrong, so you don't do that again.I train technicians for field work..the first thing I teach is if you have to go back to a job, look and think..but DON"T DO what you last did...if it did not work then why will it work now?

Also..think about your choice of glues..do not use tube glue for final assembly....it usually bites you...

Edited by Stasch

i usually test fit..and i test fitted this piece as well. before i applied glue, i knew i'd have issues because it didnt mold as well as it should to the body of the car.

the glue im using is "model master" liquid cement. its a little odd shaped bottle, and it has a stem coming out of it, like a needle, and the glue comes from the stem piece..should i be using a different type of glue for my models? i think you thought i was using the glue that is in a tube like toothpaste..oh lord no!

im not as good as the folks on here, but ive built about 10-15 models, so i have something under my belt.

That is all part of the world of model building man, you don't just assume the model will fall right togother do you? (LOL)

You have to test fit the parts as you go along. Parts will always need a shaving here or there to get them to fit right.. If you think your getting upset now with what you are doing and how the kits doesn't want to fit togother, wait till you try to move on with the model building process of projects and open things up.

The main key is to always test fit each part togother before gluing or even painting to see if there is or will be any issue with the two parts or areas.

I agree with the other member and what they said that this is all part of the learning curve for model building.

But remember this, just because a kit comes from a factory, doesn't mean it will fit togother without any issues though. Also remember this, if your building a model and everything is going good and you haven't had any issues yet with it.. well you probably know the rest of it.

Take your time and if you're frustrated come back later with a cool head.

There isn't much you can't repair or re-do on a plastic model.

Another tip to avoid your "Sweaty hands" thing, I wear Nitrile Latex gloves (blue ones like say a doctor would wear).

Just keeps you from getting skin oils on everything and also from potentially sticking your fingers together with crazy glue. :P

Calm down, now. It happens to EVERY one of us on this board. Unfortunately, models won't be perfect unless you want to break the bank. What I do when I get mad? I walk away. Then I think of ways to resolve the problem. I suggest picking up the Revell Chi Town Hustler. I had no problems whatsoever with it. :P Good luck!

If I had a nickle for every mistake, screw-up or re-do I had to do, I would be retired in Florida playing golf right now. Relax, it is part of the joy of model building...besides, if it was easy to always get it "right", everyone would be doing it and the really great builders wouldn't be able to stand out. There is a very easy cure for this problem though.....keep building until you get it right more often than not. Most of us "older" builders have done just that. Just remember this....Never give in, never give up and never settle for good enough. :P

What a timely thread to describe last night in the "office of plastic". I have built models since '58. I would say my skill level is good but not excellent. Modelling has taught me patience. I read every article I can to improve/add to my skill tool box. But last night it happened. Several years ago I found a Silhouette kit one of my sons started 25 years ago. It was warped, partially assembled but I was going to finish it. I dipped it and decided sto start from scratch. Lousy directions! It has been a struggle for several months. Last night the final step of glueing the two body halves together was not going well. I finally decided enough was enough. I threw the whole thing in the trash. Done! Over! I have never done that before and don't plan to do it again. A '55 "Ford panel delivery awaits. I'm excited.

I'm with ya on this one! I find it almost impossible to get one together without big problems. I was doing final assembly on a 32 Ford about at hour ago. Despite close to a million mock-up and test fittings, and after making sure it was just right, the body and firewall dont fit the frame properly. I had to put shims on top of the frame to square up the back of the body, and the firewall is being completely redone. Aaaarrggh!

Slow down. I mean build slower. Let things dry fully. As mentioned, test fit first. Really think about each step and how it will affect the rest of the building. Don't assume all the parts will fit correctly. If you adjust the fit of one part, others may be affected and need adjustment too. And don't rush while building, take the time to enjoy it and you may see more and see why these problems happen before they become problems.

Learn to fix those mistakes. Ask how to do that if you don't know. Once you learn how to repair those boo-boo's, you will not make as many, guaranteed.

Ifeel your pain. I just built an AMT 55 Sedan and had to use clothes pins as clamps to cement the frame assembly to the floor board b/c the frame was whopper-jawed. It worked. I'm like you though in that 7 of 10 I've built over the years there is always one little blemish that drives me batty. I got a little tiny glue smudge on the passenger wing window and it seems to stand out like a sore thumb to me. I guess its all in the fun:)

Because there's no such thing. I've been building models continuously for 50 years now and I've never built a perfect one. You won't either. Not ever. Get used to it and learn to relax and not worry about it.

If I had a nickle for every mistake, screw-up or re-do I had to do, I would be retired in Florida playing golf right now. :unsure:

I'm retired and living in Florida. I don't play golf but there's about 6 or 7 courses within 10 miles of my house.

Doo-doo happens and often at the worst possible moment. Sit back and relax, Ab. I feel your frustration with the ghosting porblem I've been having. The '53 Ford pickup I've been building in back in prime after 3 complete paintings. This time I used Ambroid over the sanded areas before primer.

I use CA glue only on parts that I plan to paint. Seems every time I use CA, a haze appears around the glued joint(s). I use mostly Testor's in the tube or Testor's liquid in the bottle.

Apart from taking your time with paint, glue and test-fitting (all excellent advice), you might want to rethink your whole approach to modeling, and I'll give you my example.

I used to be a modeling "big dreamer". I would imagine these amazing models with incredible bodywork and detailing. Well, guess what? I didn't have the skill, the time or the patience to get them perfect. That got me frustrated and many projects ended back up in their boxes.

Fast forward in time and I realized that I wasn't enjoying the hobby because I was forcing myself to move in a direction that didn't match my reality. Now, this doesn't mean you won't try to improve your modeling skills, but on the other hand, you have to realize where you stand in relation to your modeling reality.

So what did I do? I decided not to be as critical of my work. That it's okay if a hood or some other detail didn't fit 100% correct. It's 1:25 scale! We're working with tiny stuff--it's hard to get things 101% perfect. I realized that most of the time, people look at the whole thing and they're not nitpicking at details.

So now, I'm not sloppy, and I try not to be, and I detail my models and give 'em decent paint and all, but I don't sweat it all that much. Really. I just have fun with it. Make models clean, nice looking, innovative and fun.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Be sure to scrape plating and paint at the joins. Many models come with no real securing places for attaching bumpers to the bodies. Here I take a small pieces of flat sided sprue. I glue one part to the inner fender, allowing it to hang just far enough that I can glue the bumper to it. I know it's not contest quality, but it sure helps to keep the bumper in place. For some like the 67 GTX, I use triangular shaped pieces and glue them right behind the headlights. I have short pieces of medical tape handy, and use them to hold the pieces securely until they dry. They hold well, but not so tight that one rips everything apart when removing the tape.