Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 copo nova

Quite a few more than "something like only 50 built". Also, the hp rating, (350/375), doesn't determine if it's a big block or a small block. All 396 engines were big blocks, regardless of hp. Same with the 427 & the 454.

:D

There were 50 built as COPO cars, which were 396 automatics, and all 50 were ordered by Gibb Chevrolet in LaHarp IL.

Although I do agree all of these "rare" big block and COPO cars have been over done in the hobby, the Yenko 69 Chevelle or the 70 Deuce Nova would be interesting subjects. IMHO the original basis behind this thread was the accuracy or inaccuracy of the forthcoming kit & with that being said aren't these the challenges that make us all become better builders?

• 3 months later...

I remember a muscle car show I saw and it talked about how Yenko was basically forced by the EPA to shut down his high performance modding when they threated to fine him either $5,000 or $50,000 for every Yenko Corvair he made. that equals either $1,000 or $10,000 for every emission system he removed from the cars. I'm a little hazy when it comes to the exact number.

Strange, I thought that the Camaro and Nova used basicly the same front subframes and substructures........

68-69 Novas share a similar front subframe with the Camaro of the same years, however...when the bigblocks were installed into the Novas, the torque on launch caused worse spring wrap than on the Camaros.This would cause sketchy handling. The Novas of those years only had monoleaf rear springs and the rear shocks were mounted on opposite sides of the rear axle from each other.(one was mounted in front of the axle, and one was behind). Additionally, when the 427 was installed the lack of frame connectors would allow the body to twist so bad on a hard launch that the windshields would either crack, or even pop out of the body. This is why they were considered so "lethal".

Edited by Tommy Kortman

I've had lots of fast cars. My sister had a '69 SS396 Camaro. I rode in my cousin's 440 Dodge Dart. But the scaredest I've ever been in an automobile was in a 1968 Nova that had a 427 in it. I was at the "life flashing before my eyes" stage......

• 4 years later...

The only COPO Novas that I am aware of were :

_ 1968 L78 SS 396 with a specially-calibrated TH400 with a high stall converter. These were COPO as only the 4-speed was available with the 396. Harrell wanted to create a Nova to compete in the auto trans classes, SS/DA; so via Vince Piggens,et al., ordered 50 396 Chevy II with the 375 HP 396 w/ the TH400.

_1970 Yenko Deuce, 360hp 350 . Yenko built 50 or so ,with HURST BUILDING

25 of them. TH400 and M21 were available, with the TH models receiving the Hurst Auto/stick as standard.

I am looking for a Stinger hood for my Revell 1969 Nova... With a L78/L89 396. Want to build a Dana version!