Model Cars Magazine Forum

Christine

Railfreak78

This is for the new Tv/Movie car build but i figured I'd share with those that do not visit the community build section. I know people are tired of seeing this kit done in red and I dont care B) This is MY Christine and I'm sharing :blink: . I bought this kit for $5 at a local thrift store and the engine was started. Body and most parts are ok. I am missing one valve cover though :lol: Keep in mind this car is no where near done. The burgandy dor panels are per movie but I think I messed up. I dont think the burgandy carried over to the seats. I will black wash and bmf the door panels to be like the movie car. A lot to go but I did a lot in a few days so far....

christinesidefront.jpg

DSC09648.jpg

DSC09651.jpg

DSC09664.jpg

DSC09665.jpg

DSC09667.jpg

DSC09668.jpg

DSC09671.jpg

Edited by Railfreak78

Plymouth1958SNIP01-vi.jpg

One of the sharpest profiles of any '50's car IMO!

RC2 missed the boat somewhat on the kit, but with some work it can be done nice. B) Brian, yours is lookin' pretty good..........My Dad owned one of these (actually a '57) when I was a kid, so I have a special attachment to this car.

Chrysler had to do it this way because the rear part of the roof was so low, hanging the mirror from the windshield header for instance wouldn't have worked--------the roof would have blocked your view. If you take a look at the '57's, the mirror is dead on in the center of the dash.

Chrysler started getting complaints that whenever there was someone sitting in the rear seat in the middle, they were blocking the mirror's view. Chrysler tried to remedy that by putting the mirror off-center on the dashes of the '58's, but the problem persisted. I don't think Chrysler got away from dash mounted mirrors until maybe '62-'63 when they were getting away from the "Forward Look".

The Christine movie cars were actually Belvedere's with "Sport Tone" trim. The reason why Christine was so unique was that she was the only "Fury" painted red that year for 1958. In '58 you couldn't get a Fury in any other color except Buckskin Beige.

Not until the '59's did Plymouth offer the Fury in other colors than beige.

HTH!

Well the interior is done now. I'm going to leave the seats the way they are as they look really good to me. Interior chrome is foiled including window cranks. I black washed the vents and speakers. I think this is one of my best interiors I've done. I normally like them until the camera tattles on my mistakes :D

DSC09825.jpg

DSC09827.jpg

DSC09828.jpg

DSC09831.jpg

DSC09834.jpg

DSC09840.jpg

DSC09824.jpg

DSC09841.jpg

DSC09842.jpg

DSC09843.jpg

• 2 years later...

It's to bad that they simply used the Belvedere old tooling rather than making it the true movie car. The engine is completely wrong as Christine had a different engine with dual carburetor setup. Only other difference is the Belvedere emblems molded into the rear quater panels rather than the Fury but thats easily corrected with some sanding and using the aftermarket photoetched parts available. The engine correction, modification not so easy since the air cleaners can not be found anywhere (If anyone knows that they can be found please oh please let me know!).

Im currently building two of her, one for the upcoming MASCAR model contest...

The engine is completely wrong as Christine had a different engine with dual carburetor setup. The engine correction, modification not so easy since the air cleaners can not be found anywhere (If anyone knows that they can be found please oh please let me know!).

Are these correct? Jo-Han '62 Chrysler 300:

10849799696_6c6bf827ca_n.jpg

It's to bad that they simply used the Belvedere old tooling rather than making it the true movie car. The engine is completely wrong as Christine had a different engine with dual carburetor setup. Only other difference is the Belvedere emblems molded into the rear quater panels rather than the Fury but thats easily corrected with some sanding and using the aftermarket photoetched parts available. The engine correction, modification not so easy since the air cleaners can not be found anywhere (If anyone knows that they can be found please oh please let me know!).

Im currently building two of her, one for the upcoming MASCAR model contest...

Actually Christine didn't have any Fury badges. I have MANY reference pics of her. I have 3 sets of the correct dual air cleaners in resin, just can't remember who I got them from.