Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barrett-Jackson: Lying stupidity you can't believe

Anyone find it strange that the Falcon with the Indy engine which was hyped presale crossed the block durring a comercial ??? It only sold for $70000, I think a lot less than the seller or B-J was looking for in a "prime-time" slot.

"Falcon" and " 'only' $70,000". Wow. You don't often see those words in the same sentence! :D

To me its the joy of seeing nice cars, trucks ,etc that I will never own unless I win the lottery regardless of BJ business politics and I have to say that I enjoy all thier shows and will continue to watch everyone I can. Maybe Im missing something about BJ other than the obvious of making lots of money?

I guess if thats your thing that it was a good deal, personally it was a little shady to me on whether it was the real deal or not.

This is just my opinion, but I'd say the JFK ambulance is nothing but the real deal. The research they showed done by the seller and Barrett-Jackson themselves leaves no doubt in my mind, the numbers match everywhere.

I missed a couple to commercials, I think that's just the way it is. There isn't total control over how long things take. The $70,000 Falcon was pretty radical, a collection of Indy motor and suspension stuff wrapped in what may have looked like a Falcon from the right angle. $120,000 is a lot for a not pristine '63 Poncho Ambulance, so the Kennedy connection must have carried some weight. I think Scotty looked a little peaved at only $90,000 for the last Boyd car.

Maybe it's just me, (& for the record I neither watch B-J, Russo/Steele, or any of those auctions, not my idea of riveting television, nor do I agree with Skip in his umbrage at B-J & SPEED, it is a business after all), but I certainly hope that America stands for more than merely muscle cars, shady deals, (the JFK ambulance), & selling out to the highest bidder. ;)

:lol:

My umbrage is based on the fact that the B-J site edited my mere mention of a name into a negative slur on Russo and Steele – "that lesser auction company."

I have watched some of the auction this weekend, but not as much of it as I used to. I have been impressed with some of the prices I've seen these cars bring this year. The past couple of years the prices dropped because of the economy but this year it seems the prices are going back up again. Some of the cars i've seen this year that I thought would bring a good chunk of change didn't bring much and others I didn't give much of a chance blew me away. just goes to show, you never know.

One thing to remember about the whole Barrett-Jackson thing. It's all a show and it's all about money. This company didn't get where they are today by auctioning junk or setting unrealistic reserves on the cars they bring in. As for the post you made, just like everyone, you're entitle to your opinion, but you shouldn't be upset or surprised they edited your response the way they did. I'm just sayin'...

For everyone complaining that "all they sell are musclecars"........Last I checked some of the top sales this year are: 56 De Soto Fireflight convertible, 32 Chrysler Imperial, and 29 Lincoln L........those don't seem like musclecars to me.

And this is where BJ started....Rick Hendricks 320 Spyder went for $155,000 not to mention some of the nicest "Resto Mods"

In all my years on the Internet, I've never seen this kind of junk (euphemism for any variety of unpleasant, censorable words) for a supposedly reputable company.

How about by that other lesser model site?:D

If this site would not let you say what you wanted? I do believe you would not be on this site.

Well, this site has its breaking points, too with several threads laid to rest by the management.

All I can say is that Barrett-Jackson turned my well-meaning post into something I never said and that some might call slanderous. But never mind. I'm done with this thread.

Edited by sjordan2

Well, this site has its breaking points, too with several threads laid to rest by the management.

Yes, that's true... but you have to admit we're pretty tolerant here compared to some sites. Heck, we even let you guys mention the "other magazine" and their forum by name! You're not going to find a more open and tolerant model car forum than this one.

Yes, that's true... but you have to admit we're pretty tolerant here compared to some sites. Heck, we even let you guys mention the "other magazine" and their forum by name! You're not going to find a more open and tolerant model car forum than this one.

That is SO true! And THANK YOU to "management" for making it that way!

has it occurred to anyone here that the same writers who contribute to model cars also contribute to scale auto? sure has to me. any rivalry is strictly in peoples heads. personally i think each mag has its good points and its weak points and appreciate the fact that both are available at my hobby shop (because i dont subscribe to magazines when they occasionally end up trashed in the mail).

has it occurred to anyone here that the same writers who contribute to model cars also contribute to scale auto? sure has to me. any rivalry is strictly in peoples heads. personally i think each mag has its good points and its weak points and appreciate the fact that both are available at my hobby shop (because i dont subscribe to magazines when they occasionally end up trashed in the mail).

That Chuck Most guy only contributes to Model Cars. ;)