Model Cars Magazine Forum

XP-881 GM Concept

Scale-Master

Built in 1969 as a possible interim design for the Camaro between what we know as the first and second generation Camaros, it utilized the first generation platform and much of the bodywork from 1969 and as such would have been consider the last of the first generation Camaros.

The 1970 Camaro roof and rear section was added to make a fastback design sharing styling cues from the (at the time) delayed 1970 Camaro. Chevrolet produced a similar clash of generations before in 1961 and 1962 with the Corvette.

Badged as an Super Sport it was powered by the 375 HP 396 Big Block from '69, backed with a Muncie 4 speed trans. The chambered exhaust was used to help promote the performance aspect of the first fastback Camaro, a cowl induction hood was used for the same reason.

It had the Rally Sport grille from '69, although it was blacked out for aggressive look, and to tie it into the blacked out tail light panel offered only on Big Block cars; clearly an attempt to differentiate it from a 1969 Camaro at a glance. No stripe packages were applied to draw attention to the new design.

The interior made use of the very popular 1969 Indy Pace Camaro's orange hounds tooth seat surfaces toned down with gray (carpet and headliner) and black.

Wheels were unique to the XP-881, but looked very similar to the production wheels for the 1970 Z/28. It was listed as a 1970 model since the 1969 Camaro was already in production and was only considered as an in case of emergency mock up, and not likely to be produced, but the XP-881 Camaro was a fully functioning driver.

Reports of it being seen in public during shows in late 1969 are sparse and wholly unsubstantiated.

The model was built from mostly the Revell 1969 Indy Pace Camaro kit with the roof and rear end parts being donated by an older AMT 1970 Camaro. The engine was wired and plumbed, the wheels were modified from the AMT units and finished with machined aluminum beauty rings and plastic hex stock lug nuts. All of the body work was done by cutting with a scriber and a PE saw and cementing the parts together with CA, no body filler was was used. Paint is Tamiya Mica Silver.

DSC09720.jpg

DSC09715.jpg

DSC09718.jpg

DSC09714.jpg

DSC09719.jpg

DSC09721.jpg

DSC09707.jpg

DSC09709.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

Very nice and clean, typical of your excellent work.

Two questions:

1. Is this a model of a real car, or is this your own "what if" idea?

2. Did you forget to foil or paint the "Camaro" scripts???

Thanks very much everyone!

It is a figment of my imagination. The story is as fabricated as the model...

Although the designation does fit within the time line of GM Experimental Projects (XP). I could not find any documentation of what XP-881 was, only that it appears that it would have been assigned to a project in the latter half of 1969, between XP-800, the Chevy Astro and XP-802, a mid engine Corvette.

The scripts are chromed, (the SS and the 396 even have the correct white inlays) they don't show well in the photos, but are visible if you look.

Edited by Scale-Master

Thanks very much everyone!

It is a figment of my imagination. The story is as fabricated as the model...

Although the designation does fit within the time line of GM Experimental Projects (XP). I could not find any documentation of what XP-881 was, only that it appears that it would have been assigned to a project in the latter half of 1969, between XP-800, the Chevy Astro and XP-802, a mid engine Corvette.

The scripts are chromed, (the SS and the 396 even have the correct white inlays) they don't show well in the photos, but are visible if you look.

Your story sounded so believable, I figured it might be real! I even googled it to find some references, but of course, found nothing. :D

I also found it odd that on such a well-detailed model you would have left the scripts in paint. Very not like you to miss something like that! It's hard to tell from the photos that they're chrome, but if you say they are, that's good enough for me... :blink: