Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelers High

What I'm refering to is the modelers equivilant of a "Runners High". The "Runners High" is a near mystical state, a long distance runner can find themselves in, where their endorphines have kicked in the turbo boost, and the last five miles just zipped by at a record pace.

Tonight I found myself in the state of the Modeler's High. I came home from work with an idea, ate dinner, sat down at the desk and WHAM, four hours zipped by and some serious creativity was accomplished! My desk, usually clear is now a mess of tools, styrene dust and parts. And I feel great! Gonna be hard to sleep. :lol:

I'm gonna wait til this one is done before I post pics. It's a curbside, so not much to see til it's done.

Whew! What a night.

Modeler's High=smell of old Plastic. I just can't get enough of it. There's something about opening one of them old kits and smelling that aroma, that just gets the imagination fired up. I'm working on an old Autocar dump truck now, and it's just like going back nearly 40 years when I built the first one.

I think there are various highs you can get from the hobby. From tearing the plastic off an old, vintage kit and going back to the day when that kit was new on the shelf and getting caught up in the moment of the history of the hobby, to adding the final touches on a project you have labored over for the past several weeks, months, or even years, there are many different ways to get your fix in this hobby.

For me, I get that fix when I sit back and admire the finished product of my labor. It's even better when it was a project that maybe fought me a bit harder than other projects, or a model I ventured out into unchartered territories with.

I've been building for about six months now (after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby) and I get crazy modelers highs!

for the first three months, after returning to the hobby, I could barley sit still or go the speed limit when driving to my LHS for a new kit.

It's been like Christmas every day for me. I only wish I would have gotten back into things a bit sooner. At least I'm, back into and can look forward to many more years of "modelers high"! Is there a support group for this yet? :)

For me its when I hit a road block. I'll be zinging along and then bam! Can't figure out how to fabricate or assemble something. or when I should have put this part on first before gluing that part on and its now what? Hitting a road block always takes me away from the bench for like a week. I'll go to work and think about it all day for a week and them.....

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I know what I'm gona do!! I always get that high when i sit back at the bench and get over that hump. Sets up for some great modeling!

I am real high when I hit a big problem in the build. I'll get real mad, (One time I got so mad at a build I threw the X-acto at the bed! :oB) ) go and calm down, then think about it. When I overcome the problem I inda throw a little mini party for myself. :lol::D

LOL :o:lol: Thats not good. Hope it wasn't a water bed!?! :blink:

I've been building for about six months now (after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby) and I get crazy modelers highs!

for the first three months, after returning to the hobby, I could barley sit still or go the speed limit when driving to my LHS for a new kit.

It's been like Christmas every day for me. I only wish I would have gotten back into things a bit sooner. At least I'm, back into and can look forward to many more years of "modelers high"! Is there a support group for this yet? :blink:

Yes , Jesse , there are ! They are called mental institutions ! :D

i know exactly what your talking about bro. i sat down at about 8:30pm and started to finish up my 32 caddy. When i looked at the colock again it was 6:30am. i was like :o:o:o:o . but after all the caddy was done and i got another build started so i guess its mission complete. but i always look at the clock or my watch now so it never happens again lol.

I'm working on a 61 Styline Ranchero I got from a friend on another forum. It had the usual 42 coats of testors brush paint to go with the dry and cracked putty on the custom front and rear ends. After a few days in the stripper it was all nice and clean. As I was working on the body I realized that I was sanding on the 50 year old flash still around the windows! I thought to myself that it cant get better than this!

my last high was a few days ago

i had a GTX that i was working on and i had a list of things to do but up untill recently i was stuck on the headers (didnt wanna scratch build them but didnt like the kit peices iether)

well, over the weekend i found a set in the partsbox that i liked AND fit the car so i glued them to the 440 and painted them

now that i had that figured out i had a list of things to do

install engine

glue body to chassis

ad side view mirrow (always forget those buggers)

install radiator hose

fab some header back exhausts

as i was pressing the modified challenger pipes to the chassis waiting for the glue to set i was going over the list in my head and then i realized...its done :)

My "high" consists of when I get home from work on Friday and know that I don't have to do anything on Saturday. I get me a big ol' soda turn on some good music, get a snack and clean the bench off. From there on it's constant building. Usually for about 12 to 15 hours straight. I'll then go to bed for a few hours, get up and start building again. Gotta love it!

My "high" consists of when I get home from work on Friday and know that I don't have to do anything on Saturday. I get me a big ol' soda turn on some good music, get a snack and clean the bench off. From there on it's constant building. Usually for about 12 to 15 hours straight. I'll then go to bed for a few hours, get up and start building again. Gotta love it!

lol, im lucky if i can get in 12-15 minutes of straight building

(of course with a one year old and a wife who works anywhere from 50 to 80 hours a week time is limited)

and i havent seen the entire top of my bench since i got it :rolleyes: