Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Store Displays for Models- Love 'em!

I've seen a few vintage model store sales display bases on eBay and there was an article in SAE a few years ago about them, but I hadn't yet seen this T'rantula version. Very cool!

There was a seller on ebay who sold reproductions of the original display bases, and I think someone here purchased to display his Model A built up upon, but I haven't seen them listed for quite a while now. :(

i have bought one of those for pretty much all my buildups of the cars they are for. they are a bargain even at 30$. they come fully assembled and in beautiful shape with excellent graphics and printing. i dont have any connection aside from happy repeat customer but just in case youre worried about them not being worth the $ material or artwork wise. they are kinda pricey but i was very pleased with what i received.

onstand3.jpg

i have bought one of those for pretty much all my buildups of the cars they are for. they are a bargain even at 30$. they come fully assembled and in beautiful shape with excellent graphics and printing. i dont have any connection aside from happy repeat customer but just in case youre worried about them not being worth the $ material or artwork wise. they are kinda pricey but i was very pleased with what i received.

onstand3.jpg

Only $30 for a 20+ year old store display I think that is cheap. I used to buy store displays from comic book store back in the day I wish I would have kept them. They would have fit 1/24 cars perfectly.

oh yes they are reproductions, not real ones. the ones i am talking about, i mean. not originals like that tarantula like the OP posted.

still they are excellent.

sorry i dont have the guys contact casey, keep an eye on automotive models category or save a search and enable email notification. i notice he posts auctions for awhile then quits for a while then returns, etc.

Edited by jbwelda

sorry i dont have the guys contact casey, keep an eye on automotive models category or save a search and enable email notification. i notice he posts auctions for awhile then quits for a while then returns, etc.

I haven't seen them on eBay for months, and the Completed Items search only goes back 90 days. If you remember when you purchased your most recent display and would be willing to let me know what you eBay user ID is (via PM, please don't post it), I could search for the seller that way, too.

I tried to bid on it seller wont sell to Canadians I was willing to pay a lot more than it sold for. To bad Thats all Iam missing for my Trantula Collection I do have a repop and I too purchased it on ebay but cant remember seller I'll see if I have him saved in favourite's.

I tried to bid on it seller wont sell to Canadians I was willing to pay a lot more than it sold for. To bad Thats all Iam missing for my Trantula Collection I do have a repop and I too purchased it on ebay but cant remember seller I'll see if I have him saved in favourite's.

I belive the seller's eBay ID is "3names". I have sent him/her a message asking if s/he plans to make any more available.

• 5 weeks later...

So, someone may be reproducing these, but at the moment they are not available?

I think there is a golden opportunity here for any of our aftermarket vendors to stick their foot in the proverbial door here, so to speak.

Essentially, it is just a print! I don't know if a die cut would also be needed. Someone needs to find a way to make these available any time, not just an occasional auction site sale, and to do so at a reasonable price. Spare us all that corporate "cost and marketing analysis" bunk.

It will, however, require a "can do" attitude. :D;)

Edited by Jon Cole

So, someone may be reproducing these, but at the moment they are not available?

Yes.

I think there is a golden opportunity here for any of our aftermarket vendors to stick their foot in the proverbial door here, so to speak.

Essentially, it is just a print! I don't know if a die cut would also be needed.

You also have to consider the size, as some of these displays are made from one piece of printed stock. Cuts and embossing for folded edges also add to the cost, not to mention the upfront cost of having the minimum number printed.

Also consider the copyright or trademark (not sure which may apply) laws in effect for printed materials, as a professional print shop may not be able to re-produce these legally.

That said, I think $30-$40 is a fair price for such a piece, and from the older auctions, the seller didn't seem to have any trouble selling them.

Edited by Casey

Yeah, but when you come right down to it, copyright technically affects almost everything sold currently by aftermarket. I suspect that the aftermarket's quantity is so low, it's not worth it for any large business to complain... with the possible exception of the 1:1 tire manufacturers. :lol:

More likely, what you said about cuts and embossing costs would be the real deal breaker.

My bro-in-law markets custom picture matting. He has a computerized mat cutter that, if programmed, could cut these displays like that! (snaps finger) Like I said, it can be done.

Also consider the copyright or trademark (not sure which may apply) laws in effect for printed materials, as a professional print shop may not be able to re-produce these legally.

Fair-use doctrine states that items published before 1978 are now copyright-free, with some exceptions. That means that these items, unless re-registered, are now open-domain and anyone can do them. While proper homage should be given to the original publisher, the original publisher won't (or shouldn't) collect royalties or anything like that.

As to cost....I would say that $15-20 would probably be reasonable. The originals will always be worth more.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 years later...

>As to cost....I would say that $15-20 would probably be reasonable

this dude was and probably still is dreaming. cracks me up to hear people say stuff like this.

let us know when you have some for sale for 15 to 20 dollars there. it should be easy...

jb