Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Niko... sounds like a great project. Posted on your thread. if you need any reference pics let me know.

Dave... Thanks man.... yep lots of patience going on with this build. Guess I have learned it over the years of building. I have rushed some builds before and won't be doing that here.

Greg... Thanks man, yea that seat was an eye sore to me :lol: and had to be fixed. You are right that drilling all of the holes for the bolts is Tedious work but I would do it over in a heart beat with the results I will have with them.

Not much of an update since I haven't worked on this since last week. Has more family in town this weekend and was having fun doing yard work and redoing some landscaping and putting in some new plants. Was going to try and work on the funny car tonight but am wore out. So I will get back to it tomorrow after work and hopefully have some updated pics for you guys tomorrow.

Thanks Brad!! looking forward to getting back to the workbench on this one. Hey are you going to be at the swap meet on saturday?? I am planning on going to check it out and maybe pick a few things up.

What swap meet is this? I don't have any info on this one. I have info on Modelzona next month and Desert Scale Classic in April but not this one.

I was able to sit down for a few hours and get some more time in. Tonight I decided that I would start working on the Blower and drilling the bolts heads out for the hardware. Seems this drilling is always time consuming... :lol: Anyway for the bolts I used Scale hardware. The size of the bolts used to bolt to the manifold was Part # SMHN-08N Simulated 0.85mm Hex Nut w/Stud (Nickel plated brass) and for the back piece of the manifold and front I have used part # THRB-05-B 0.5 UNM Threaded Hex Bolt (Brass). I was too tired to get the front piece drilled out so will probably work on that tomorrow. Here are a few pics of the progress I made tonight. Thanks again for looking.....

Started out with getting the holes drilled for the bolts that go to the manifold, This is where I used the Simulated 0.85 Hex Nut w/Stud bolt:

DPArmyVega7871-vi.jpg

Drilling out the back of the manifold:

DPArmyVega7891-vi.jpg

After drilling all of the holes on the blower back plate, I transfer drilled all of the holes:

DPArmyVega7931-vi.jpg

Put all of the bolts (0.5 UNM Threaded Hex Bolt) in place on the back cover:

DPArmyVega8001-vi.jpg

Up-close view of the back of the blower, don't mind some of the pin holes on here. They will get filled in before the blower gets primer:

DPArmyVega8011-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

That would be awesome Chris. I'm also about 6 blocks from the postal hall if we can work this out. I'll let you know.

Not a Problem Brad, I may wait then to send my rims and rear tires back to Jim at Micro Nitro so he can do a set of rims that will fit the Funny Car tires from flash point then so you can see it on a rolling chassis. Plus It gives me time to finish up the drawings on the blower pulleys since I made some slight changes in them that I have designed so I can send the prints along with them to him. I have finished the drawing for the hubs that will be going with my photo-etched disk brakes so that drawing will go along with the rims as well to have Jim make the hubs. I also think it will be easier to have him do them at the same time so I can get the stud holes on the same bolt hole circle pattern for the threaded studs I will be putting in.

I originally had sent these parts to a shop we use for work and well they haven't gotten back to me on price and depending on the price I was going to possibly have them run me a good quantity of them since it would have been cheaper and was going to see if anyone would be interested in them but since they have slacked and wasn't sure how much I would have to fork out. Figured that this would be the best option since I am at a point where I am needed some of these parts to be able to move onto scratch building the calipers but waiting for the hubs so I can see the clearance I will be working with between the disk and rim. Anyway sorry to ramble on, I realized that its late and I am pooped and need to get to bed since I need to be up early for work.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Charlie... Thanks man, You are on to me bud... ;):lol: . I was trying to go with using the actual bolt the thread the holes but I realized that I didn't have a wrench for that size bolt. I have them for a couple other sizes but Scale hardware I believe stopped making the wrenches for the 0.5mm threaded bolts because it was tuff getting the wrench made right for it with as small as it was for the tolerances.

John... Thanks buddy. That is awesome that you will be coming out to the arizona show this next year. Althought you may get to see it before then since my goal is to have it done by February and bring it up to the NNL West. It seems like time is running out and I only have 5 months to finish it..lol I am hoping to hear next week that I will have some Photo-Etch parts getting in the mail that I have been waiting on forever. Anyway I will be working hard to finish this and my 1/16 FED and will try to sneak in a curbside pick up too B)

I was able to sit down for a few hours and get some more time in. Tonight I decided that I would start working on the Blower and drilling the bolts heads out for the hardware. Seems this drilling is always time consuming... :lol: Anyway for the bolts I used Scale hardware. The size of the bolts used to bolt to the manifold was Part # SMHN-08N Simulated 0.85mm Hex Nut w/Stud (Nickel plated brass) and for the back piece of the manifold and front I have used part # THRB-05-B 0.5 UNM Threaded Hex Bolt (Brass). I was too tired to get the front piece drilled out so will probably work on that tomorrow. Here are a few pics of the progress I made tonight. Thanks again for looking.....

Started out with getting the holes drilled for the bolts that go to the manifold, This is where I used the Simulated 0.85 Hex Nut w/Stud bolt:

DP-Army-Vega787-1.jpg

Drilling out the back of the manifold:

DP-Army-Vega789-1.jpg

After drilling all of the holes on the blower back plate, I transfer drilled all of the holes:

DP-Army-Vega793-1.jpg

Put all of the bolts (0.5 UNM Threaded Hex Bolt) in place on the back cover:

DP-Army-Vega800-1.jpg

Upclose view of the back of the blower, don't mind some of the pin holes on here. They will get filled in before the blower gets primer:

DP-Army-Vega801-1.jpg

Man Chris, I thought I had good eye sight but when I received the Scale Hardware and saw the size of the .85 simulated hex bolts and how small they were... You have to be crazy using the .5MM simulated bolts! Those things are micro small it is crazy, even using tweezers I worry about those things flying off into who knows where in the room! :D

Man Chris, I thought I had good eye sight but when I received the Scale Hardware and saw the size of the .85 simulated hex bolts and how small they were... You have to be crazy using the .5MM simulated bolts! Those things are micro small it is crazy, even using tweezers I worry about those things flying off into who knows where in the room! :D

When I use them I by twice as many as I need because half of them fly off never to be seen again.

Bart and Jim.... I have lost a couple of those bolts as you grab them wrong when you pick them up and they make a certain noise as they get shot from the tweasers... :lol: . But I will share my secret with these bolts.... I am always using my Optivisor when I am working with them :P:lol:

Jim, I appologize that I haven't gotten those tires and rims to you. Things have been a little busy for me lately and was trying to finish up some drawings so I can send it all at once to you. I also have another question for you since I will be sending you the Funny Car tires from this build to get the rim size to fit, want me to send one of the Pro Mod tires from Flashpoint as well so you can get measurements from them for rim widths? I know I will want you to do a set for the Pro Mod Build that I am planning down the road. just no idea at the moment what style of rim I want to go with. Thanks again

Bart and Jim.... I have lost a couple of those bolts as you grab them wrong when you pick them up and they make a certain noise as they get shot from the tweasers... :lol: . But I will share my secret with these bolts.... I am always using my Optivisor when I am working with them :P:lol:

Jim, I appologize that I haven't gotten those tires and rims to you. Things have been a little busy for me lately and was trying to finish up some drawings so I can send it all at once to you. I also have another question for you since I will be sending you the Funny Car tires from this build to get the rim size to fit, want me to send one of the Pro Mod tires from Flashpoint as well so you can get measurements from them for rim widths? I know I will want you to do a set for the Pro Mod Build that I am planning down the road. just no idea at the moment what style of rim I want to go with. Thanks again

Hey Chris I can save you some time and shipping cost. Jim already has one of my Flashpoint Pro Mod tires, he can just use it to mock up if needed. Hey may already have the dimensions from cutting my rear wheels, so he may not need anyone to send them going forward not sure. :D

OK Chris, got my shift covered until noon so I can meet you at the postal hall or even QT which is right next door for a morning coffee if you like. How's 8:30 sound? They won't let you in until right at 9:00 anyway. Well, not just you, anyone else for that matter, unless you have a vendor table.

Hey Chris I can save you some time and shipping cost. Jim already has one of my Flashpoint Pro Mod tires, he can just use it to mock up if needed. Hey may already have the dimensions from cutting my rear wheels, so he may not need anyone to send them going forward not sure. :D

I have Bart's tire for the diminutions of the pro mod wheels. The wheels I am doing for them are three pc. rim, center and bead lock. Chris I now have the 1/16 Cragars with the tapered face like the real ones. Also if you would like we can drill all the bolt holes so you can put Scale Hardware or RB bolts in them.

Brad... That sounds great that you were able to get your shift covered and will meet you where ever you want at 8:30. I will bring the funny so you can check out what I have done so far.

Jim... I wasn't sure if someone had sent you a Pro Mod rear for dimensions or not and Figured since I was sending the others wouldn't be a problem to toss one of those in as well. That is great that Bart had sent you one. I will still be sending Flashpoints Rear Funny car tire and the good year fronts. Will get them out Saturday or monday since I was planning on showing Brad the mock up Saturday morning at our local swap meet here. Do you also by chance have pics of the other rims you have done so far besides whats up on your website. No rush at all since my pro mod build is only in the planning stages, won't be building it for a while.

Bart... thats awesome that you had send him one already. Gonna be nice to have rim options for all of these different tires.

Looking forward to seeing your FC build Chris. Can't wait. I'll box up my Fiat too, if you want to see it. I'll also see if I can scrounge up some printing plate for you as well.

I'll shoot you an email on where to meet up.

On edit: Looks like others would like to see it as well so we can just meet up in the parking lot at 8:30. I'll be in the extended cab white GMC Sierra. Very much looking forward to seeing your FC creation.

Edited by gasser59