Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Don't mean to steal your post area Chris,but I have to disagree with Mark's comments on The Snake selling the Vega (which he didn't like, he didn't go for the "lay-down" seating position) to The Shoe, in '73 Don Schumacher was driving the Wonder Wagon Aero Vega (front wheel bubbles,large hood scoop,clear roof hatch & the open grille "square" nose), in '74, he lost the Wonder Bread sponsorship & got the Revell sponsorship, from what I've seen, Don just had the '73 nose cut off & a '74 nose grafted on & a new paint scheme for the Revell's Super Shoe Vega,being as the wheel bubbles,scoop & roof hatch all match his '73 Vega, plus the '74 Vega still was running '73 tail lights. Now on to your build, it's looking great as usual, the aluminum or brass idea doesn't sound bad, it would probably be stronger then the plastic, can't wait to see what you do. Keep up the great work, & sorry again about "stealing" you post.

post-8509-0-97434000-1314307940_thumb.jppost-8509-0-05804800-1314307983_thumb.jppost-8509-0-99929500-1314308000_thumb.jp

Chris,

Sorry about the mistake with the history of Prudhomme's Vega. My bad. Here is copy from the Dakota Star, Sports Headlines, Nov. 30, 2006 concerning the history of the sale. It was Tom Hoover who initially bought the car from Prudhomme. Brain doesn't remember everything most of the time. Here are a couple of pix showing the car with Hoover's paint scheme.

"At the same time, however, despite Pudhommes displeasure with the car, it had already caught the fancy, Merchant said, of Revell, manufacturer of model cars who had already begun production of models of the car and toy replicas of the car for youngsters.

Merchant was soon to find that the tracing of cars continued genealogy was not unlike that of someones historic ancestor. The car was to travel widely throughout its racing career. Pudhomme had sold the car to a Minnesota resident, Tom Hoover, who for a time, raced it as the SHOWTIME Vega Funny Car and would later sell it to a Mason City racer, Tom Hovland who raced the car through 1978 when it was sold to a Greg Riles, Sheffield, Iowa.

Going another lap into the Vegas history, the cars next pit stop was with Dick Hirchett, South Sioux City. Hirchett, racing the car under new colors at Thunder Valley Dragways, would eventually sell it to Merchant."

Mark Johnson

No need to be sorry about stealling my post or telling some of the history of the car. I think its awesome you guys are willing to share and its something new I get to learn. I didn't realize that Prudhome sold the car. I knew he only ran it a couple of times and didn't care for it. The history lession is very cool to learn about it.

Alright guys.... I am going to be working on it for a while tonight so hopefully I get some good progress to show all of you.

ok So I was able to do a little more on this tonight. Not much but worked on the Body pivot hinge's. I started out drawing them up in my CAD program, printed them 1:1 and cut them out. I then used white glue to and glued them to the plastic. Then proceed to cut them out. I originally started out with some evergreen styrene that was .25" wide by 0.060" thick and also had .25" wide by 0.040" thick. After I had cut the 0.060" out I decided to do a search on these body hinges... and there was limited information that I found. On one site I was able to find some hinges and it gave the thickness of 3/8". well with the two sizes I was using 0.060" in 1/16th scale is equal to 0.96" and 0.040" is equal to 0.64". and to get a the part to be 3/8" in scale, it would need to be a size of 0.0234. I am thinking that .020" may be a tad too small and flimsy. So now my Dilema is which thickness to go with. Scale wise using the 0.060" seems just too big and well the 0.040" is closer to being the correct size and think it will be strong enough. I decided to hold off on gluing them in place because I needed to think what I wanted to do as well as ask all of you which way you would go if it was you. Thanks

Here is an image of them glued to the styrene and one of them cut out:

DP-Army-Vega552-1.jpg

Got both of the .060" thickness cut out, and the ones that aren't cut out are glued to the .040" thick material:

DP-Army-Vega554-1.jpg

Here I have set my jig back up and was going to set it up so I could get both parts mounted the same. on the left hand side is the 0.060" thick piece and on the right I am holding a 0.040" thick piece. I keep thinking that the .060" is just a tad to big scale wise:

DP-Army-Vega557-1.jpg

Now that's the way to build. :blink:

OK, its nighttime. Where's that much needed update? I'm jonesin' here.

Hey Brad... Sorry I didn't get work on it as much as I was planning last night. I only tinkered for about an hour and didin't make much progress. I started making my new body mount pivot pieces out of .040" styrene and this time I have bolted my pieces together so when I cut and shape them they will be Identical. Then I am probably going to make another set out of some aluminum sheet that I picked up from K&S Metals. I have some that is .016" thick but gonna search if they have something a tad bigger and maybe pick that up.

I will be working on it more tonight when I get home. And my plan is working on it all weekend other than a few house chores I need to do..... Like Mowing the grass, washing the car, rotate tires.... Then its work on this build as much as I can so I can make some more good progress.

Chris, I'd offer to help with the chores, but I gotta sweep the desert landscaping, dust off my car and rotate the tires on my JJ funny car.

Priorities sir, priorities. Keep everybody on the board happy. All else is secondary...............Unless there's a woman involved. :rolleyes:

Hello All.... Sorry for the delay in some pics. I wasn't able to work on this build last night like I planned. But I am done with the chores that I wanted to accomplish today. So now its time for an all day build session on this build. Here are two teaser pics where I am starting today. I have gotten my pieces marked out again to cut out. This time I am using some 0.040" thick styrene to make my body pivot mounts from. Once I am done with these i will be making another set out of some aluminum sheet and figure out which I like best for the build. Thanks for being patient with me and Can't wait to be able to share more pics with you later today.

Here I have started with gluing down my template with white glue to the styrene and drilled holes for the bolts to hold the two pieces together:

DPArmyVega5611-vi.jpg

Here is a side profile to show that I am holding together with the nut and bolt so this time both pieces turn out to look identical, because first go around they weren't the same...lol:

DPArmyVega5641-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Jim... Very Cool Shot. Thanks for Sharing with me. Man I bet that was cool to be able to visit Prudhomme's shop. I would love to be able to do that.

Ok all Got a few more things done on that body mount pivot brackets. Got the plastic ones redone and wanted to share the pics. I have started on making the ones out of aluminum and with the .016" thick seems a tad small. So I called up Hobby Lobby to see if they had some .032" thick K&S aluminum sheet in stock and they do. heading there now to pick it up so I can make them out of the 0.032". I think that will look much better. anyway... here is the progress I have made so far....

Drilling holes to cut out the slot:

DPArmyVega5691-vi.jpg

Following my template cutting to shape:

DPArmyVega5731-vi.jpg

All cut to shape:

DPArmyVega5751-vi.jpg

After taking apart and cleaning up:

DPArmyVega5781-vi.jpg

The Start of making them out of aluminum.... this here is the 0.016" thick material:

DPArmyVega5831-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Sure, anyone can work in such a large scale!! Ha!!

These are looking great and I'll bet the .032 aluminum ones will be just the ticket. What are your plans for cutting the heavier aluminum stock?

I think a trip to Prudhomme's shop for research should be on your agenda. Think of all the pictures you could get and now that you're well into this build is just the right time to do so.

Wow Chris...You have some skills man, awesome work!!

Thanks Jeff.... sometimes it's more patience's than anything. Then again there are times I redo the part if I wasn't happy with it... :lol:

Sure, anyone can work in such a large scale!! Ha!!

These are looking great and I'll bet the .032 aluminum ones will be just the ticket. What are your plans for cutting the heavier aluminum stock?

I think a trip to Prudhomme's shop for research should be on your agenda. Think of all the pictures you could get and now that you're well into this build is just the right time to do so.

Brad working with the larger scale is a lot of fun and easier to add some of the detail too... :P . You are right about the .032 aluminum one being the ticket. Just wait I have the process to show you. I would love to take a trip to Prudhomme's shop for research but not idea how you are able to get into it.

Alright as promised I have more updates for the night and I am not done working on this bad boy tonight. After posting these I will get back the next part I was planning on getting done on this for the night. Well as I mentioned before I headed out to Hobby Lobby to pick up some .032 K&S Aluminum Sheet because I wasn't happy with the plastic ones I did and realized that the .016 was just too small. After I got home I have spent about the past 5 hours working on these....Between watching Nascar and working as I was watching the races I was finally able to get the body pivot brackets completed and am very pleased with them.

The Tools I ended up using on this was my Xacto knife, my Xacto razor saw, my pin vise, mini file set as well as some sanding sticks. yep it was all manual labor and wouldn't trade it at all since I got the result I was looking for. Here is what i did....

First I took another one of my drawing templates and glued it to the Aluminum sheet with white glue and marked out where I wanted to cut my pieces from:

DPArmyVega5871-vi.jpg

I then proceeded to cut out what I had marked and then cut that piece in half. From there I drilled two holes for the bolts to hold my pieces of Aluminum together. Once I got the first hole transfer drilled, I put a bolt and nut on it and then transfer drilled the 2nd hole and added hardware to that one as well:

DPArmyVega5891-vi.jpg

It was time to break out the Razor Saw and start cutting:

DPArmyVega5921-vi.jpg

Then it was time to break out the pin vise, I did a little cutting then drilling then cutting again:

DPArmyVega5941-vi.jpg

Here is the piece ruff cut and holes drilled thru:

DPArmyVega5991-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Starting to cut the rest off to get it to the correct shape:

DPArmyVega6021-vi.jpg

I had used my Xacto knife and razor saw to cut the rest of the slot after it was drilled, as well as my mini files and used my sanding stick to sand the outsie edged. I took my time doing this so I didn't screw it up and have to start over on these:

DPArmyVega6081-vi.jpg

All finished and completed with the fabrication of the two pieces, It made it so much easier having bolting the two pieces together and cutting, drilling, filing and sanding at once. Great way to get your parts to turn out the same :lol: :

DPArmyVega6211-vi.jpg

Here is the pic that used as reference as it was one of the only few body mount pivot pieces that I was able to find when I did and image search on google. So I have to say I am really happy with the results that I got with deciding to go with the aluminum. Also wanted to thank Bobthehobbyguy who suggested to me on here to make it out of Aluminum:

BodyPivotMount-vi.jpg

Thanks for Looking and now time to work on getting these bolted up to the chassis. Will have more pics later or in the morning.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Good Job Chris I knew you'd get her done those body brackets look great! Keep up the excellent work you are an inspiration B)

Rom... Thanks Buddy, So glad to have them done. I will get them mounted in a little big and will feel good that I have this small hurdle done. Thanks for the Kind words they mean alot, really do.!!

Man Chris, those are perfect. Great job but you really should get a Dremel Styles as that would have cut down on some of your hand work.

Thanks Brad!! You know I have an off brand Dremel that someone got me for a gift one year. I thought about breaking it out but didn't. I probably should have now since my fingers are little sore from holding the small parts...haha

Will have some more updates later today posted.