Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Jeff... Thanks Buddy!

Rom... you have a point there about making rear lips for the rims. I know for a fact it would be cheaper to go that route. I was double checking earlier with my photo-etch disk brake that I had the clearance for the calipers looks like It shouldn't be a problem besides I will be scratch building the calipers and can make them the size I need to fit :lol: . Plus I don't see it should be a problem like you said it most likely wouldn't be seen.

Tyrone... Thanks man, I decided I wanted to do a Jig so I could get the height of the chassis correct and especially when it came to me working on the body mounting pivot portion of the chassis.

Danno... Thanks bud!

Alright as promised I have pics to show even more progress I made today. I am happy with what I got accomplished and feel good about it feels like it is coming along. I was able to primer some more parts which they will probably see some more primer after I sand them down again :lol: .

Besides primering the oil pan, fuel tank. clutch bell housing and part of the transmission cover blanket portion. I worked mostly on the back half of the chassis for the body mount pivot point. here is what I did and what I got done.... Thanks for Looking

I first started out by removing the old body mount pivots:

DPArmyVega4871-vi.jpg

Next I cleaned up the chassis sanding away the parts that I cut off and preparing it for the new pieces it was going to see:

DPArmyVega4911-vi.jpg

After that I decided that I needed to make another portion of the jig to hold the pieces I was adding to make sure they would be in the position that I wanted them when I glued them:

DPArmyVega4951-vi.jpg

I then glued my bottom 3 pieces of tubing together first before I placed it in the jig, once the pieces were dry I got the holding portion of the jig in place:

DPArmyVega4971-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Once I was happy with the position I glued the tubing to the chassis and taped the holding jig to the board and also taped it to the chassis to set up:

DPArmyVega4981-vi.jpg

After I let my tubing and glue set up, I fabricated the top tubes and glued into place. Once I got them in to place and glued them I let it set up for a bit then I went back and brushes some more glue around the joints just to make sure it would be secure and leaving it like this in the Jig over night and will pick the build back up tomorrow:

DPArmyVega5021-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob.... You are right they aren't from the kit. I got these from Flashpoint Motorsports Resins, very nice tires. He has a few sizes to choose from.

The tires you are using seem a lot wider than the kit tires. Could you do a side by side to show the difference? What changes are you making to make them fit since they are wider?

Thanks,

bobthehobbyguy

This is going to be great! I've been watching it, and can't wait to see the next update. Nice to see some Vegas being built too. Your work is stunning, I'm speechless and can't find correct words to tell, how nicely it's coming along. B)

Jeff... Thanks Buddy!

Rom... you have a point there about making rear lips for the rims. I know for a fact it would be cheaper to go that route. I was double checking earlier with my photo-etch disk brake that I had the clearance for the calipers looks like It shouldn't be a problem besides I will be scratch building the calipers and can make them the size I need to fit :o . Plus I don't see it should be a problem like you said it most likely wouldn't be seen.

Tyrone... Thanks man, I decided I wanted to do a Jig so I could get the height of the chassis correct and especially when it came to me working on the body mounting pivot portion of the chassis.

Danno... Thanks bud!

I am glade your going with the lips on the wheels. I already made them. :wacko:

The tires you are using seem a lot wider than the kit tires. Could you do a side by side to show the difference? What changes are you making to make them fit since they are wider?

Thanks,

bobthehobbyguy

Hey Bob... Not a problem on showing you the difference in the tires..... here are a few pics for ya

So I have 2 different 1/16th scale tires it looks like along with the tire from Flash Point Motorsports. left (1/16th scale tire from Don Produhomme's Wynn's Winder Front Engine Dragster), Center (is Flash Point Motorsports 1/16th scale Funny car tire part no FPM116FCS), Right ( tire from the 1/16th scale Army Vega Funny car/Dragster double kit)

DPArmyVega5041-vi.jpg

View to see the differences in the width of the tires in same order as above:

DPArmyVega5061-vi.jpg

Here is what the kit will look like with the body and the wheels tucked underneath it:

DPArmyVega5091-vi.jpg

Here is and up-close view of the rear end and stock rear break hub (for mock up purposes only):

DPArmyVega5111-vi.jpg

Here is the tire with the rim, as you can see the rim isn't quite wide enough for the tire, and since it isn't i was going to have Jim aka Micro Nitro make me a trim ring to extend the rim to fit this tire and since I got the rims from him. who else but to have him help me with this.:

DPArmyVega5121-vi.jpg

So originally my plan with these tires and rims was knowing that they were wider than the stock wheels and rims, I was planning on shorting the rear end to get it all to fit. I knew that it was going to be tight and was going to have to modify the rearend a little bit. I never had test fitted the rim into the tires until this past weekend. So once I noticed that I decided that i would mock it up and see how the body would fit over them. I was lucky enough that it seemed to fit fine but was a little snug. I will be going back and shorting the rear end just a tad on each side to bring the tired in a little closer to the chassis to give clearance between the chassis and tire as well as between the outside of the tire and the body.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Richard... thanks man... It is coming together and been happy with the progress I have been able to make on it.

Niko.... Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Shane... Thanks man. I sould show you how I can change some of the parts out if need be. I can remove the blocks and use other blocks if needed a different ride height.

Jim... Thanks my friend, It like you read my mind and had them done...lol I will shoot you a PM.

Derrick... Thanks bud.... This build has been so much fun.

John....Thanks for the kind words, It means alot coming from one of the many top notch builders who I look up to on here. I just wish I could build as fast as you do....lol

I was able to get a few more pieces of tubing glued on the chassis.....

I added some cross bracing to the body mount pivot on the chassis:

DPArmyVega5141-vi.jpg

Another view with all of the pieces installed:

DPArmyVega5181-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Richard.... You are welcome man. I never knew they weren't the same either until I tookt those pics.... B) . I figured that I would show the one that I had sanded down for my FED I have going as well.

Rom... Thanks Buddy... I have gotta keep on pace with your build... ;)

Jeff... Thanks man. I am glad you are enjoying all of the pics. It has been a treat for myself showing it step by step and sharing with everyone. I also wanted to let you know I was going thru some pics last night from some car shows and ran across a 69 chevelle pro street/ pro Mod... not sure which but it reminded me a little of your chevelle. I will have to scan it and share it in your thread. probably won't be able to get to it til I come home from work.

No

I have all the 1/16 scale funny car and dragsters that have been released and never paid any attention to the tire height difference. good eye and great update...

not me man...the only thing that I hated was the small tires and for a long time I was waiting for someone to do after market

now we really can do a good replica...This one here is off the chart in details.

No

not me man...the only thing that I hated was the small tires and for a long time I was waiting for someone to do after market

now we really can do a good replica...This one here is off the chart in details.

Don't misunderstand my quote. I knew the tires are too small in the kit, what I missed was the size difference in the diggers and funny car kits...

Edited by Fuel Coupe

Well not much of an update other than showing a couple of parts that I have received from Charlie at Pro Tech. He's got some great new parts in 1/16th scale. I got some throttle linkages and some rod end links. On another note I had Rodger from Competition Resin's get ahold of me and He is sending me out a Donovan 417 Engine that I have been itching to get for this build. He was redoing some parts and recasted them and has them back in stock for any of you that have been looking to order one for quite some time now. So I should have it at the beginning of next week.

Here is a picture of the couple items that I received from Charlie:

DPArmyVega5341-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs