Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Well I was able to finish the other header. Got it all Soldered up and they are almost done. All I have left to do is to shape the solder around the flanges and then they will be done. I am really happy with how they turned out. Just have to be a little more patient with some filing and sanding, then they will be ready for some primer. Thats all I was planning on doing tonight so only have one picture to share with everyone.

The Headers completed after Soldering:

DP-Army-Vega723-1.jpg

Now that's the way to do a set of headers. A outstanging job Chris.

Brad and Derrick.... a Big thanks goes out to both of you. I feel these headers are a little bit of a milestone with how much work went into them. Very glad how they turned out and you probably won't belive me but as they sit I have 28-1/2 Hours into them between all of my trial and error on bending the tube as well as figuring out the best way to do these. I will be really happy when I have them completely ready for primer, then I probably won't want to work on another set of header for a while.... :lol: But I have no regrets with how I am wanting this build to turn out, the time I put into them is all worth it and would do it again.

Brad and Derrick.... a Big thanks goes out to both of you. I feel these headers are a little bit of a milestone with how much work went into them. Very glad how they turned out and you probably won't belive me but as they sit I have 28-1/2 Hours into them between all of my trial and error on bending the tube as well as figuring out the best way to do these. I will be really happy when I have them completely ready for primer, then I probably won't want to work on another set of header for a while.... :lol: But I have no regrets with how I am wanting this build to turn out, the time I put into them is all worth it and would do it again.

I belive it, i know the time it take to build stuff. But well worth the time and money, a beautiful job Chris.

Hey Everyone I want to thank you all for Kind words that you all have said about the headers, It means alot. I will give you guys a heads up since I have been keeping track of this full build and so far to date I have 167.75 hours into this build. I know it may make you go :blink: with those hours. I am not sure if I am halfway done or not but am excited to get to start the engine here soon. I will probably be goin back and forth on the Engine and driver compartment details. This build has been a blast and enjoying sharing it with everyone. So stay tuned and appreciate that you are following along.

Alright all... I was able to get back to the workbench tonight for a little bit. I had family intown this past weekend so wasn't able to get to this build til now. Anway spend a couple hours working on sanding and filing the joints on the headers. I am much closer to being done with them. Happy with them but I think they need to be sanded and filed just a little more. I shot a quick light coat of primer on them to see how they were looking and noticed a few pin holes that I will need to fill and fix. Anyway here are a couple pics for you to check out. Thanks for looking....

Here is the front side of the header flange after sanding and filing the solder joint down:

DPArmyVega7321-vi.jpg

The back side of the header flange joint:

DPArmyVega7361-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad... Thank you, yep you sure can put in an order for a set ;) , just be patient becasue I am still waiting to be able to fill my finger tips from all of the work on these.. :lol::P

Charlie... Thanks bud, I can't tell you how happy I am to have the fab work these bad boys just about done. Kind of crazy that I have 31.25 hours into these, but I think with what I have learned from doing these I would be able to do these a little faster next time.... at least I hope :lol:

Man, this is getting waaay outta hand Chris. In a great way of course. ;) :D

Hey, I'm keeping this jig idea in mind and will be using it for sure. Makes those headers look way better than stock. B)

Keep at it mate, you're doing a darn fine job.

(man, I only just subscribed....thought I already had, sorry mate. :unsure: )

Greg... thanks mate!! I know I have taken this build to the next level in trying to out do myself and improve my skills. I am really glad I did the Jig idea because I had no other way of keeping them identical with out holding them that way. I keep debating if I should smooth the joints out a little more or just leave as is since real headers weld bead isn't smooth per say.

Bart... thanks man! I think as much elbow grease as I have put into this bad boys I am ready to work on some other parts of the build at this point.... :lol: but still have minor clean up work with them till I am 100% happy with them.

Sorry I haven't been able to get to the work bench since monday, I am itching to do some more work on this. So stay tuned B)