Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hi Chris, It was great meeting you and seeing this cool model your building. at last saturdays swap meet.I wish I would have had more time to visit with you and ask more questions. However I was drooling so badly. that I had to step away quickly.It is going to be Immaculate when you finish it.

See at the contest table

Gabriel

Thank you Gabriel, it was nice meeting you as well. I am going to try and make it out to one of your guy's build days and will bring it again and you can ask all the questions you want. I appreciate the kind words.

Alright guys.... I wasn't able to get any work done on this tonight. but I just have to share what I got to do instead. They had a few Funny Car and Pro Stock Bike Drivers at the Local San Tan Ford tonight. and since I live a few miles from there I just had to swing by. Here is who I got to meet:

John Force

Picture003-1.jpg

Robert Height

Picture004-1.jpg

Hector Arana Sr & Jr - both ride Pro Stock Bikes

Picture002-1.jpg

Needless to say It was an awesome experience to meet them all and I was totally stoked about getting this opportunity. Didn't really get much time to spend talking with John and Robert since the line was so long. But did get to talk with The Arana's for a little bit. I have nothing but great things to say about them. They were extremely friendly and answered my questions. What a pleasure to talk with these guys.

Edited by Mooneyzs

How cool is that? Take tons of pix and enjoy your weekend.

Thanks Brad... I am so stoked and cant wait for tomorrow..gonna be a great satrday and sunday at the races. I will be taking lots of pics for sure and I have a funny feeling I will end up having more motivation after this weekend to get this funny built and finished. I also ordered some more parts from RB motion for the engine. Still waiing on the Machine Aluminum Specialties photo-etch detail stuff.

Yeah Chris, that's really kool...... :rolleyes: :lol: Man, what an opportunity....one I would gladly leap at too if given the chance. B)

Now, get back to the bench............................. :P

Hey mate, I feel your pain with the chassis (re-)fabrications....just been through a whole lotta that myself. :(

But you look like you're on the money with it now man. B) Keep at it. :)

Hey guys... Sorry i havent been around or posted anything for the past few days. Had a great time out at the races, got a bunch of great pics and pics with many of the drivers. Now I am motivaed to get much more done on this build.

Tyrone... Thanks man

Bart... John got knoced out first round by Beckman. I will need to figure out where to put the pics. I took about 500 to 600 pics. I will need to resize them. May be easier to to burn them to a disc for who ever wants them...lol

Greg... Thanks Mate! I will be back at the bench tonight on this build. I am glad i did the refab work and am much happier with it now.

Derrick...thanks man. It's cool when you can put a face to the name.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bart... John got knoced out first round by Beckman. I will need to figure out where to put the pics. I took about 5 to 600 pics. I will need to resize them. May be easier to to burn them to a disc for who ever wants them...lol

Oh, I bet he was cussing up a storm! He can get pretty hard on himself and his daughters. Chris I would go for a disc, because putting them on Photobucket you lose the resolution when blowing them up to see details.

I would also go for a disc. Better detail by not reducing their resolution to go on a photo hosting site. Where can I put in an order for one? :)

Brad... I will burn one for you too. I am also thinking that paint should be here today or tomorrow. Will let you know.

The only thing i was bummed out on was they didnt have the cacklefest cars there. Really was hoping to get pics of some of the old vintage front end dragsers.

I was able to finally sit down and get some bench time in on this build. Haven't touched it in a week until tonight. Was working on making some Dzus Fastner Tabs and started making my side chassis panel template. These little Tabs felt like they took forever to make. Here are some pics of the progress:

Here is a full size Dzus Fastner Tab next to the ones I scratch build out of strip styrene, I am also planning on making the spring clip that will go on the backside of the tabs:

DPArmyVega8791-vi.jpg

Here is an up-close view of the tabs:

DPArmyVega8821-vi.jpg

Here are the Templates that I had come up with for the chassis side panels, after looking at all of them I will be going with the one on the bottom:

DPArmyVega8841-vi.jpg

Here I have the Template taped into place:

DPArmyVega8881-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I was able to finally sit down and get some bench time in on this build. Haven't touched it in a week until tonight. Was working on making some Dzus Fastner Tabs and started making my side chassis panel template. These little Tabs felt like they took forever to make. Here are some pics of the progress:

Here is a full size Dzus Fastner Tab next to the ones I scratch build out of strip styrene, I am also planning on making the spring clip that will go on the backside of the tabs:

DP-Army-Vega879-1.jpg

Oh I am sure those little buggers were a pain to set and cut out each one making sure they were the same size and had the same angle on each individual tab. :D NICE WORK!

Ok Chris, I am very excited to see what you have planned here. I have never seen a Dzus fastner up close like this from the underside. So by chance do you have the part that mounts flush on the top of the finished panel? I would like to see it up close from the bottom and a side view. I want to say it has a little spring in it as well so it stays popped out, so you compress the spring to catch the larger spring underneath?

Wheels are spinning here trying to figure out how to make these function.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Man oh man, all of these look great Chris!! Really liking the work so far on the Dzus fasteners and will be following along your progress on these. As for the side panel shape, try fitting your wheels and tires on the rear axle before making the decision on just where the back cut will be. I would think you wouldn't want the rear cut edge to show at the front of the tire. Maybe you've already done this but its hard to tell from the photos. This cut edge should really follow a frame brace so that the Dzus fasteners have a place to mount.

Edited by gasser59

John... Thanks man. I think I may be a little nuts to do the details of these Dzus Fasteners, but I thought it would be cool to have that little detail added to the build.

Bart... yeah they were a little time consuming to do. Yep I do have the piece to the Dzus Fasteners that mounts to the plate. There are different types of Dzus fasteners ones that have the spring like I will show you, ones that don't and they even have them in a wing nut style. Not totally sure how you would make these functional in this scale since they are so small. I picked up some other bolts from Scale hardware that was basically was a flat head screw that will represent the Dzus fastener bolt. I will show you a pic of the Army car and was trying to match what was there.

Brad... Thanks buddy.... I have been trying to figure out from the pics I have for that side panel shape and none of them are too clear but think I have seen a little by changing brightness and contrast in a couple of the pics.

Bart here are the Dzus Fasteners:

DPArmyVega9051-vi.jpg

I was applying pressure so you could see the end of the fastener:

DPArmyVega9081-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Sat down tonight for a few hours and did a little more work at the bench on this. I ended up working on gluing some of the Dzus fastener tabs to the chassis and worked on getting a template out of styrene for the side panels. But first I got a package in the mail from Jim at Micro Nitro and a big thanks goes out to him for redoing a set of rims for this build. Now I can get holes drilled in the rims for the valve stems and once I get them done I can polish the rims out, then glue the stems in.

Here are the rims redone by Jim:

DPArmyVega8941-vi.jpg

Started making the side panel templates out of Styrene:

DPArmyVega8971-vi.jpg

Here is a pic of the car to see why I put the holes where I did on the side panel:

Army27copy-vi.jpg

Here is the start to getting the Dzus fastener tabs glued to the chassis. I only got one side done since I wanted to let the glue dry really well with these and then I will use my side panel template to help me locate the Dzus fasteners on the opposite side:

DPArmyVega9041-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned more to come this weekend. This weekend I am planning on getting alot of bench time in on this, so I should have some good progress.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Joe... Thanks for the compliments..... :lol: @ how clean my work area is. Well whats funny is that I have a hobby room to work but most of the time I have been dragging just what I need out to my kitchen table so I can watch TV while working.... hahaha I keep telling myselt that I am going to go get a small TV to put into the Hobby room so I don't have to always move the stuff back and forth, plus the way I have set up the lighting in my model room its much better too... LOL. As far as the Dzus fasteners go, I really thought it would be cool to have that extra detail on there, never have done that before.

Looking good Chris! when you take this finished build to the shows people will be looking at the cockpit and say "what are those tabs on the frame for?" then they look on the other side and say oh, OK...C B) B) L......................

Charlie

Pro Tech