Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Cabriolet

Lyle Willits

New resin from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. Donor kit is Revell 5-window '32 Ford. Cowl lights added from the '32 Sedan kit. All '32 Ford cabriolets were rumble seat cars. I did NOT make a working rumble seat but I added the step pads (photoetched brake pedals on plastic pieces painted flat black) and the grab rails from an AMT '29 Model A kit.

Wheels are from the latest reissue of the Monogram '30 Phaeton. Model Car Garage photoetched horizontal grille. Hood side vents are 1/200th scale stairway handrails from Plastruct with Bare Metal Foil.

IMG_0083-vi.jpg

IMG_0054-vi.jpg

IMG_0057-vi.jpg

IMG_0069-vi.jpg

IMG_0068-vi.jpg

IMG_0078-vi.jpg

BTW - I've reached a milestone. This is the 32nd. Revell-based '32 Ford I've built since the first kit was introduced in 1996.

Another homerun Lyle! This one's a real beauty! I love that shade of blue and the interior is amazing. What did you do for carpet? It doesn't look like flocking...it looks better!

I've said it before but I'm a huge fan of your work. It seems like every one of your builds grabs me! This one is no different. BRAVO!

Excellent build Lyle. I like the details like the handrails, rumble seat handle, step pads, cowl lights and the chrome strip on the back of the grille shell. Nice touches. A Ford in a Ford, way to go. Fine color(s) choice too. I can't believe you have built that many. I have a bunch of those kits but have not finished them yet. Thanks for the post, photos and the inspiration to complete at least one of my kits. A fan of your work Patrick M

Back again--what did you use for the carpeting? I can see the edge of the material near the door. Is it a piece of cloth or something else? Thanks again for listening to my--our questions. Patrick M

That's not the "edge" of anything. That's just a gap between the side panel and the floor. Just wanted to prove that all of my models have easily spotted flaws. :rolleyes:

Embossing powder can be found in most craft stores. It comes in many colors but I just buy white. Apply it just like flocking. Use either white glue or water-based paint( I prefer paint) . Spinkle it on immediately while the glue or paint is wet. Let it dry thoroughly. I use only white because it can then be painted whatever color you want.

That's not the "edge" of anything. That's just a gap between the side panel and the floor. Just wanted to prove that all of my models have easily spotted flaws. :)

Embossing powder can be found in most craft stores. It comes in many colors but I just buy white. Apply it just like flocking. Use either white glue or water-based paint( I prefer paint) . Spinkle it on immediately while the glue or paint is wet. Let it dry thoroughly. I use only white because it can then be painted whatever color you want.

Hey Lyle, sorry to keep bringing this up......how do you paint it? Do you spray it? What kind of spray paints? Anything in particular? Anything you wouldn't use? Sorry again, I'll leave ya alone after this! B)