Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Impala 409

Brutalform

I want to start on this Impala, that I bought without a box, or tires. Also got my hands on a resin chassis too. I want this car to have a totally factory look, except for the pro street rubber. No roll bars, hood scoops, or anything like that. I also want to paint it something light. I have some Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue. Was this an original color for a 61? If not...I guess its close enough.

Picture034-1.jpg

Picture035-1.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

Picture037-1.jpg

Picture042-1.jpg

Picture039-1.jpg

Edited by Brutalform

Thanks for the replies...everyone. After looking online at some pictures, I came across a 61 that looks like it has a gunmetal, or silver leaf exterior, and a nice red and white interior. I might go that route, and paint the rear part of the side molding red as well.

Just got the body pieces, and engine pieces in primer. Most likely will get some color on them tomorrow.

Yea Jeff, I looked at my account, and his user name is "porkynpetunia", so I would say its him. :)

Nice cast job on it. I only had to notch the frame, so I can mount the ladder bars. All I gotta do now, is give it a Bleach White bath before paint.

Nice Start to this build. I love a '61 Impala Pro Street. I have a picture of one in an old contest annual from years ago. I will have to see if I can find the Magazine and I will take a pic and post it for ya. That is pretty sweet picking up a moded chassis

Mike....Going with the 409. I would like to use the exhaust system from the 61 Dyno Don kit....but I am missing the headers. I only have the pipes. I got the car painted with Tamiya Light Gun Metal TS-42. The side trim is red, to match the interior. I will post up a pic or two, when I get it cleared, and BMFed.

Thanks Chris. If you find it...that would be cool.

Edited by Brutalform

If you are going to use 409 BBC, and this is Pro Street style build, I prefer 632 cubic inch Big Block Chevy. It looks like 409" W- Block, but it's aluminium. Actually it's 409 Cid, but it can be stroked to 632"... So you can just paint the block aluminium and say that it is 632". Here are some pictures and information of it... "Cylinder bores were increased to 4.5″ diameter, which require do custom pistons with 409-style domes. The crankshaft has been moved out by a quarter-inch, which provides a variety of stroke length options, up to 4.75 inches and a maximum displacement of 632ci."

Nice project, I'm watching this one. :D

I spent a few hours working on the Impala this afternoon. I must say, that this car, as far as the BMF goes, is a bit more involved than the 64 Galaxie I had just finished, IMO. I got the tail lights finished also, which are a PITA, but look pretty nice when finished.

Now it's time to start on the interior, which will have the red-silver theme in it too. So much for a factory look. Just gotta get some more Tamiya Italian Red, and some white primer. Here is a few pics.

Picture050-1.jpg

Picture049-1.jpg

Picture047-1.jpg

Picture046-1.jpg

Picture045-1.jpg

Picture052-1.jpg

Tom, that body is looking great. I love the color you chose for the paint and the BMF looks very nice. Any way as promised I found that '61 in one of my old model magazine. It was from the other message board ;) So people don't get mad that I am posting the cover. Its to show the date, the magazine was from back in 1991. anyway here are the pics.

Picture050.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Thanks for posting that article, Chris. That is a sweet 61!!! A lot of hours went into that one!! I want to read it when I get time. I always loved the old Impalas. They were the FIRST muscle cars IMO. I always liked the 61, 62, and 63s the most.

I have a 62 Impala pro street car in my stash, that has the trunk set up to be like that one. I bought it "as is", and it was started right. The chassis on this one is from a pro stock Thunderbird kit, with the pink plastic parts. The person I got it from was really "into" it, because it is all scratch built to the point where it is now, and it fits together nicely. I will get into it, when I feel the time is right, as my scratch building is not the best.

Edited by Brutalform

• 4 months later...

It's been a while, but, since I ruined the Impala body, (unforseen thinner spill), I started another body. I decided to change the color to the same as the picture on the box. Still wanted a factory look with a narrowed rear. I painted it with Tamiya Italian Red, and Testors Lacquer One Coat Clear. I started to really work on it pretty steady a few days ago. I did a couple of other models before this, (70 Roadrunner & 62 Galaxie), but I should get this completed in a day or two. Pretty much just final assembly now. Kinda glad it worked out this way...as I always like a red car.

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture009-3.jpg

I like the red much better than the gray, even though the red is more common. That has come along quite nice and should be a great looking car when done.

I hope to get to a show this coming weekend and Porky should be there with some resin and I think I need to get one of those chassis!

Thanks for showing the updates.

Finally its finished! The only thing I wish I had done, was to add a set of ignition wires, but this is the way it will stay. When I started this build, I really only wanted a factory look, "tubbed", Impala. I am very pleased with the way it came out. I think this is my best effort so far. I get a lot of tips from magazines, mostly by Clay Kemp. I never thought about using Testors Clear Parts Window Maker cement for door handles, and mirrors, tail lights, and the like. But after thumbing through a few issues with Clays builds, particularly his write up on a Surf Green 57 Chevrolet, his first build of The Black Widow kit, I learned a few things.

I am posting some better pics on the Under Glass board. Thanks for looking!!

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012-3.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg