Model Cars Magazine Forum

Check out these pipes

as to why pipes are sometimes a real snakes nest, you want the ideal header to scavenge the exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber by active sucking it out if possible. that can involve a lot of complicated routing to make the exhaust path as smooth as possible but also creating the scavenging effect. and you want all cylinders to do it the same, so you end up with requiring equal length pipes which in tight quarters involves a lot of bending and getting length where you can. there is a whole science to header design, though it might be debatable whether some or even most of the examples shown here adhere to it vs just for looks. for sure those ramchargers pipes had purpose in the scavenging area probably working in conjunction with those extreme risers on the intake.

Yeah but I still want zoomies on my Packard straight-8. Inefficient or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, one of the reasons is the pipes need to be equal in length? I know this came into play with the old Kawasaki 2 stroke triples, and I vaguely remember the Honda fours needing equal length pipes until they met in a 4 into 1 performance exhaust.

By the way, any ideas on just how much HP these lil saki burners produce? I've heard astronomical numbers, but inquiring minds want to know. :(

G

I have seen some Honda's and Nissan's with around 500hp and over. It took a good amount of money to get there but they did. Also that Orange B series looks amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Whats up with the wild headers in the second picture....

Something somebody just did. There's another one I can't find, made of plumbers threaded pipe. :lol:

I'd bet there are a bunch more out there too, not counting all the weird "bosozoku" stuff from Japan. Let's not go there. :D

Edited by Greg Myers

• 1 year later...

The Pipe Organ-Vampire Dragster Club, a.k.a., The Pied Dragster Pipers. The cars each have an exhaust system tuned to a specific musical note and run in timed spurts to produce hypnotic tunes that lure their victims into a state of euphoric trust.

I'd love to hear them all running at once.

Edited by Speedfreak