Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's Corvette ZR1

crispy

I managed to get a couple days to finish my latest project. In all honesty I wanted to finish this a long time ago but the recent show I attended moved it along. I'm refreshed and rejuvenated for modeling again.

Revell Corvette ZR1

Scalefinishes.com Jetstream Blue

Scalefinishes.com Calicove blue on calipers and engine

Wheels were stripped, sprayed with Testors gloss black and lightly sprayed with Chrome alclad. I wanted that black chrome look and feel I achieved it.

Interior is black and grey per the JetStream blue ZR1 I was referencing. I also used black embossing powder for the interior flocking.

I ground out the front grill and inserted some black painted wire form. More realistic.

I hand drilled each brake rotor, painted them aluminum and added a light black wash to bring out the detail.

The roof carbon fiber (Scale Motorsport CF Twill weave)was tough and I'm o.k. with how it turned out but very happy to have learned a new technique to apply to future models.

I went with Tamiya TS13 for clear. Polished the kit out and used Meguiars Scratch X 2.0. Novus was used as well.

Well, enough of my rambling here are a few pictures with more at the link:

DSC_0495-vi.jpg

DSC_0496-vi.jpg

DSC_0474-vi.jpg

zr7-vi.jpg

Lot more photos at MY FOTKI

Don't mind how many I took as I was experimenting with my camera and lighting.

Chris

Beautiful work!

This is no demerit to your build, which is great, but this is about the 5th of these I've seen done, and there's something very wrong with the appearance of the wheels/tires. They just don't capture the look well at all.

Ditto. Beautiful model, but yeah...Revell whiffed on the wheels (and generic-sidewall tires).

I don't like ZR1 wheels to begin with. Not helped by the fact that 99% of dealers or buyers or whatever think the chrome/polished ones look so good that their car has to have them. Bleccch. The wheels are offered in better finishes, but you wouldn't know it by what is on most of the cars.

I have to say this, sometimes an undersized wheel doesn't look bad (of course I'd much rather it be right), but the ZR1 wheels just look especially small especially if the model is built w/the OOB stance. There really is no excuse in 2011 with new models coming out with newly-tooled wheels and tires not to get the diameter correct. I guarantee there are still kit designers out there that have no freaking idea that a 19" wheel when measured across will be about 20.5" because of the tire retaining lip. Why they continually make this mistake is beyond me :DB)

Excellent build Chris. That blue is perfect. Bob, you will go nuts trying to figure out why some things are done in designing and molding the models we build. So many simple mistakes in so many kits over the years I too wonder what is going on with the companies. Do they not have some one on staff that can do a little research into the vehicles they make? Some parts in kits are works of art and others are completely wrong. Makes you go a little crazy if you think about it. Thanks for the post of this beautiful Vette Chris. I need to get one. Wish it could be a real one. LOL Patrick M

Very nice build. Despite the kit's shortfalls (tire/wheels), you still built a beautiful model, of a great car. Forgive me, but I've got to post the following pic :D ....still one of the greatest days of my life!

IMG_1947.jpg

They really do run like the reviews say, too! Most awesome car I've ever driven! B)

Thanks guys. I really love the kit. I stripped my wheels simply because, as you all know, the chrome was just way too bright. I got the effect I wanted. I like the wheels on the ZR1 but I think, again as you guys do, the lack of sidewall detail and size could be improved.

I liked this one so much I bought another. I'm going to put the fixes on it. Those being the wheel to fender clearance issue, the supercharger a little closer to the hood window. and a few other things. I might even look at new wheels and tires. I kind of rushed this at the end and didn't take the time I wanted to make those fixes.

The JetStream blue just looks electric in the photo's. Certainly better than that new dead Supersonic Blue they offer now.

Thanks guys!

Chris

Skip, no, I wouldn't say close to a pearl at all. It does change color with the more coats you apply. I would agree that it is a lot finer grind though.

Steve, thanks, and you are right. I think the Corvette emblem could have been bigger for the center cap and the brake calipers can't be seen as well either, especially the work I put in the brakes. The wheels look "clunky".

Again, thanks guys.

Chris