Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's been 40 years

Canuk

Hi all.

Been reading all the posts here and things sure have changed since I used to build cars 40 years ago.

Just recently built my first kit and started with the '49 Merc from Revell.

I don't have a lot of tools now and am starting to acquire them but when i was a kid I just used an xacto knife, emery board, and some 600 grit paper.

I pained this using Duplicolor spray over their primer. 6 light coats gave me a decent finish and I didn't polish it or gloss it. Might do that on the next build. I am not really happy with the flame decals the way they look and may remove them later.

Here are some pictures. Be gentle...

photo1a-vi.jpg

photo3a-vi.jpg

A beautiful one like this is all it takes to get you hooked into building again! For many of us, life took us on a different path, and now we are back. And this is a great hobby of which to be a part. Cheers, and many happy returns.

wow 40 years! what took you so long :lol: thats a sweet merc. looks as if you haven't forgetten how to build.

well welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby. :D looking forward to what else comes out from your sleeve. :D

Sweet! Looks like you fell off the bicycle, got back on, and didn't miss a beat. There are so many talented folks here, and you'll get lots of tips and help. I'm still amazed at the tools, paints, kits, etc. that I wish were around 40 years ago. Here's a pic I took last year of some 40 odd year old kits I had built; Pactra brush paint, etc. Many of us are the same model builders we were, just with a lot less hair, and what's left of it is often grey! :lol:

old002a-vi.jpg

You haven't missed a beat, nice clean build. A whole lot of things have happened to the hobby in 40 years. All kinds of good stuff out there now.

If that '49 is an indication of your current skill set, then you'll be flying high soon.

G

• 4 weeks later...

Well done return and good subject matter, Chopped mercs are a timeless thing. I've been playing with these myself since the early 60's. I also remember when and yes it has chaged but good workmanship never goes out of style. Enjoy the new world sir. Enjoy

Tom Creeger

Add my kudos, nice job! When you really get down to it, an Xacto, glue, and sandpaper (plus 40 years of patience) are really all you need. All the rest just make it easier and more enjoyable, which is why we do it in the first place.