Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Super 7

Scale-Master

The wheels were sourced from a Tamiya BMW and narrowed on the lathe to match the tires I dug up from the spares box, they are also Tamiya parts.

DSC00010.jpg

The spare is a modified stock wheel from the 7 kit. I filled the four depressions then turned a new face and milled the five lug holes to match the five lug pattern on the BMW wheels.

DSC00016.jpg

Mark, I've been watching your progress on this and, needless to say, it's impressive. From what I can tell, this is at least your third Super 7 build. (I saw the picture of the reddish-orange one you posted on Spotlight Hobbies today)

Do you like these kits because you're fascinated by the real ones, (do you own a real one?) or is each one a chance to outdo your last effort? I haven't seen the blue one up close in some time, but the one on Spotlight Hobbies, with legible printing on the spark plug wires, just had me shaking my head.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Edited by Monty

Very nice work man, you have inspired me to do similar, ironic how i have a unopened lotus 7 kit and a revell buick v6 isn't it? haha

Actually, the Revell V6 is a much better model. Go for it! And thanks!

The R1 Mazda rotary from the full version Tamiya RX-7 is another great motor swap for these Seven kits...

Great work with this build! You are true Scale Master. I like that rearend, it looks great with those brake lines. Propeller shaft is looking good too. Rollbar is simply great, I'm watching this project very surely, keep it going.

Um...just a bit of advice on this one...I think that you set the point gaps a little loose. It's supposed to be 0.018" in 1:1, which means .00075" in scale. That looks at LEAST .00078" to me. This will save you potential embarrassment come judging time, believe me.

Ummmm, thanks? I can't even see the points. Is it a single or dual point distributor smart guy?

By the way, how many degrees do you think the vacuum advance provides at 14 inches of vacuum?

The spare tire was modified from one of the kit rims, (it was a four lug, now it is five to match the alloy wheels), valve stem and safety label added. The spare tire hold down was fabricated from turned aluminum and steel wire.

DSC09988.jpg

DSC09989.jpg

The main wheels were painted with metalizers. Washes and dry brushing helped raise the contrast of the details. Valve stems were added and I made Lotus decals for the wheel centers.

DSC09990.jpg