Model Cars Magazine Forum

BioMech C-300 Chrysler

Dr. Cranky

Your honesty is appreciated, Harry. Had I known these wheels were going to raise it this high, I would have gone for something more conservative, but they fought me so hard, I ended up using 2 part epoxy to glue them in place, and you know what that means! :)

Not a criticism, V... just my personal bias. The model looks very cool, and I am a BIG fan of those old Chryslers... when I was a little kid my mom's cousin had one and I remember riding in it. The dashboard gauges had a really cool glass "dome" over them and a "glowing" kind of green lighting setup that I still remember to this day! :)

You are not going to believe this, but the paint seemed like the easiest part of building the kit. The windshields fought me, the chassis did too, and then the exhaust almost didn't fit because I had modified the rear suspension so that it would ride lower, and then I remembered that I was putting big wheels on it . . .

Next one is going to be much, much lower to the ground!

Thanks all for the kind words.

A fine one in the characteristic Cranky style. super.gif I really dig the detail colors you chose for the engine and firewall area and the chrome chassis is a nice showy touch. Your interiors are often passed over because of the impact of the exterior paint jobs but I like that one, too. So here's a question: With all the nice inside stuff goin' on, were you able to build the model so you can take it apart to show it off, or did you grab that last pic before final assembly?

BTW, I think in general the current trend of oversize wheels and rubber band tires have a real problem, esthetically. Over the years we seem to have painted ourselves into some sort of corner. When contemporary car designers do sketches and renderings they inevitably do them with those skinny tires and huge open-spoked wheels. They proportion the wheel openings and body proportions accordingly. More and more, as those sketches are translated into sheet metal, the final product assumes those larger wheels. Unfortunately the older bodywork was designed before this trend and often those wheels and tires just look goofy on them. I understand the intent of the statement they make, but it's a delicate line in choosing the right proportions to have contemporary looking wheels and tires that look right on an Old School body. In general I've noticed that around 19" or so in the wheel department is just about all these designs can stand. And extreme lowering helps a lot by burying them under the fenders.

Anyway, thanx for another cool lookin' build...

Great commentary, buddy, thanks. You bring up a good point. I normally like to make my build more playful than this, in other words, I usually don't glue too much down because I do like to take things apart . . . but with this build, I felt that it was s bit more delicate in that the ends of the frame tuck into the bumper wells, so it was a bit tricky to get the thing to sit down on the chassis. And I noticed the front and rear glass have a really thick lip that takes up space.

But these are issues that most of the time I learn to deal with over a series of builds. I still think that it's hard to beat the beauty and simplicity of working with say, the new '49 Merc, or the Willys, etc . . . those kits just fall into place.

I don't necessarily like big wheels, but I felt that for this build having something a bit different would make the whole thing more noticeable and striking . . .