Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matchbox Auto Union Type D

Jocache83

I built this one too about 15 years ago.

It's a great little kit, and has nice detail. The fit of some of the engine bits is not too good, but you can work around that.

Yeah, I always wished it was available in 1/24. I'd be buy several if it ever happened.

Edited by warra48

From what I can see, that little 32nd-er has more detail that a lot of the 24th/25th that are out there. Will have to see about picking this one up soon and will definitely be watching along! Looks like this one is on it's way to a thing of beauty!

thanks for your replies guys. the parts are really detailed for it's size. every time i accidentally drop a part it takes me forever to find it on the ground. LoL. i havent had a chance to work on the kit this weekend because i was with family, but hopefully ill have the body done this week.

That looks lovely so far - these vintage Matchboxes are great kits, and pack some lovely detail into a small space. The Aston Martin Ulster is well worth tracking down...

One of our Classic British Kits SIG guys built this for our "101 Gems" display last year. You need to keep trialling and test-fitting the cowlings, and ideally find a way to finish the seams and paint the main body AFTER you've trapped the chassis between the upper and lower main body panels...

Mark - I suspect Merit didn't do it because their kits were originally slot cars, and although they may look like vintage F1 to us, at the time they were tooled up they were pretty recent or current racers that people could see at a track near them or on the newsreels. The Auto Unions were pre-war and definitely history (they did do a Mercedes W158, so it wasn't anti-German bias...). Unfortunately only the Talbot Lago and Alfa 158 were "superkits" with engine detail - the rest are just upper and lower shells and a few bits in between. I'd still like the Lancia-Ferrari, the Vanwall, and the Aston Martin DB3S, though!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

bestest,

M.

That looks lovely so far - these vintage Matchboxes are great kits, and pack some lovely detail into a small space. The Aston Martin Ulster is well worth tracking down...

One of our Classic British Kits SIG guys built this for our "101 Gems" display last year. You need to keep trialling and test-fitting the cowlings, and ideally find a way to finish the seams and paint the main body AFTER you've trapped the chassis between the upper and lower main body panels...

Mark - I suspect Merit didn't do it because their kits were originally slot cars, and although they may look like vintage F1 to us, at the time they were tooled up they were pretty recent or current racers that people could see at a track near them or on the newsreels. The Auto Unions were pre-war and definitely history (they did do a Mercedes W158, so it wasn't anti-German bias...). Unfortunately only the Talbot Lago and Alfa 158 were "superkits" with engine detail - the rest are just upper and lower shells and a few bits in between. I'd still like the Lancia-Ferrari, the Vanwall, and the Aston Martin DB3S, though!

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

bestest,

M.

Revell also issued a 1/32 version of this kit, don't know if it's the same tooling. I do know that the Revival kit is an earlier Type C.

And you're quite right about the 1/32 Aston Martin Ulster. If these pictures are any indication, it builds into a very nice model.

AstonMartin-Ulster_11.jpg

AstonMartin-Ulster_01.jpg