Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad over plasti-kote

Today, I sprayed some parts with Alclad. I had previously primed them with Plasti-kote. All of it was dry, and i started to mask it off. The tape pulled the Alclad right off. I had read somewhere that plasti-kote was perfectly fine to use with Alclad. Am I wrong? Anyone have any words of advice?

In my experience, Alclad's chrome and polished aluminum work best over their own brand of base coat. I've gotten excellent results shooting them over Testors/Model Master classic black enamel and I've heard of other gloss black enamels that seem also to work well. But after I tried Alclad's base coat I decided I'd never use any other base coat ever again. It is almost impossible to screw up using polished aluminum over Alclad black base; chrome is trickier, but still easier (for me, at least) to get right with their base coat paint.

Edited by Chillyb1

I use Testors 1/4 oz jars of gloss black as an undercoat and have always had great results with it. Here is a 63 Impala front bumper and grill that I did using Alclad

impala56.jpg

Here is the rear bumper

impala53.jpg

I have done more rebuilds using Alclad in my photobucket. Dan

At MassCar's show this March, Guy Beaudette did a beautiful drag car which used a large amount of Alclad, and the results were simply breathtaking.

I asked him what he did, and to the best of my recollection, this was his recommendation.

1. Use the Testors Boyd ultra-high-gloss black.

2. If you can, turn your compressor down to around 12 psi.

3. Two VERY light coats.

Unfortunately, I can't regulate my compressor, but I'm trying his other recommendations and seeing what I can pull off.

Charlie Larkin

its really a drag this stuff isnt available in buzz cans. i wonder what the deal is, maybe it wont stay mixed well enough? i think they could make (another) mint off the paint if it were available to us non-airbrush painters.

its really a drag this stuff isnt available in buzz cans. i wonder what the deal is, maybe it wont stay mixed well enough? i think they could make (another) mint off the paint if it were available to us non-airbrush painters.

My guess would be the pressure. You really need low pressure with this stuff, 10-15 psi. That low coming from a spray can would probably spurt and sputter, making a mess.

What kind of plastickote did you use ,the super enamel? Or the lacquer ? So far the best thing I have used is the testors gloss black enamel. The alclad primer seemed to me to be too thinned down and was drawing away from edges

hey bud, they actually do make alclad in aerosol. it's chrome. i have a can, but have not used it yet. i was planning on doing so today, but it seems i have ran out of gloss black.. <_<

Nobody asked me, but for those who want something close to Alclad without as much effort try some Ace Hardware store brand Metallic mirrored silver. I applied it over grey Duplicolor primer and unlike most chrome paints it doesn't wrinkle. All the brightwork save the rims on this bike was done this way since I couldn't afford to send the pieces off to be plated...Which, ultimately is the only way to get real chrome.

e5644e0467.jpg

hey bud, they actually do make alclad in aerosol. it's chrome. i have a can, but have not used it yet. i was planning on doing so today, but it seems i have ran out of gloss black.. dry.gif

The aerosal in question. $13.00 a can...its labeled for lexan...I do not know if its hotter on styrene, but if it sticks to lexan it will be tough.I always primed my lexan bodies with "adherto" clear lexan primer.