Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altered Ego Fiat Topolino

Not sure how you did Derrick but glad you're on board now. Thanks for the comment.

Recent progress report sans pictures. Well, the engine fought me all of the way this afternoon trying to put it in. It finally gave up and its now glued in. Then the shift lever linkage decided it wanted to battle me. It was winning when I had to shut down to go to work so that shift lever and I have a date later tonight. Any guesses on who's going to win?

I'll post some progress pictures later so stay tuned...

Thx Danno. So how do I get that PE butterfly wheel to you? Wanna wait for the next MM meeting?

That's very generous of you, thanks!! I really appreciate it!

It can wait until the next meeting, I'm not in that big a hurry ...

B)

No problem Dan.

Got home from work, took a deep breath and was expecting to have a battle on my hands but everything popped right into place. That was a relief.

First pic is the fuel shut-off lever.

FuelShutOffLever.jpg

Second is the shifter.

Shifter.jpg

And finally, the fuel tank is bolted in.

FuelTank.jpg

Next up is re-look at the front end. I may need to make a new one but am hoping i can get the one I have to work. Stay tuned...

John - thanks for following along and the compliments. I appreciate your feedback.

The Earl fittings are Detail Master Combination Fittings and the bent part is steel rod, which is shined up with fine sand paper to almost a chrome finish so the Tamiya clear blue and red paint will have the same color and sheen as over the shiny aluminum combo fittings.

The small pieces used for the throttle cable and shift bracket on the direct drive are printing plate cut and bent to shape. For the cable bracket, I bend the printing plate over a thin metal rod of the appropriate diameter, then trim its length and drill an appropriately sized hole.

Brad.... Mighty fine work you got going there. I just love how you are paying attention to every little detail. The motor work detail is just gorgeous. Seeing this come along is making me want to jump onto my 1/16th scale fiat build. Then again I need to focus on my funny car and get that done before starting on another heavoly detailed build. The next one I have planned will be a little different thats for sure ;). Again great job on this.

Brad.... Mighty fine work you got going there. I just love how you are paying attention to every little detail. The motor work detail is just gorgeous. Seeing this come along is making me want to jump onto my 1/16th scale fiat build. Then again I need to focus on my funny car and get that done before starting on another heavoly detailed build. The next one I have planned will be a little different thats for sure ;). Again great job on this.

X2!

PS: Thanks for the steering wheel. You'll be surprised at the project ...

Not much going on today, feeling like I need to plan my next build but I did put the fiat together for a couple mock-up shots. Need to get in an order from Scale Hardware in order to continue with the front axle.

2v2ucry8hxAhY3V.jpg

2v2ucryzLxAhY3V.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Braaaaaad, that's baaaaaad !!!!!! You Arizona boyz have got your stuff together, no doubt. I gotta get up there next time y'all have a contest. I can't compete with this stuff, but I like to watch.

Joe,

Most of us sit around in awe of guys like Brad and Chris and Lanny Haas and some other awesome AZ builders ... but you'll have to make plans to come down in April 2012 for our big show ... Desert Scale Classic ... April 21, 2012. We also have a couple others ... Goodguys Southwest Nationals on the third weekend of November every year and Goodguys Spring Nationals on the second weekend of March every year.

Lots of action at all three! And, it's not far for you Vegas guys to come ... a generally pleasant drive at that. Come see us, but make sure to introduce yourself!

B)

Thanks for the kind words Randy, Joe and Danno. They're really appreciated. Until I get my order from Scale Hardware, I need to move onto areas other than the front end. This afternoon, I made a single wheelie wheel cut out of an orange Gatorade lid but right after it was finished, it jumped right off the bench and into the carpet. You'd think a bright orange cylinder would be easy to spot but I couldn't find it. Once I realized that I looked for it for a longer period time than it would have taken to make a new one, I started on another one and ran out of time before needing to go to work. Oh the perils of working small. I'll work on this some more when I get home and post some progress pix.

Thans for your kind words guys. Well a bit late but I had to make several of the wheelie wheels and finally got one the right size that I'm happy with. The one on the bottom is the correct size. I find that when using my OptiVisor, I sometimes make things too small and this was the case. I also had a few attempts at the aluminum wheel holder because it would break when I was shaping it.

GoodBadWheelies-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along...

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

I've really gotten side tracked on this build for the time being and am also waiting on some RB stuff to come in. Oh, I know I could go on to the painting of the body but I've moved on to something completely different. I'll post on a new thread in the On The Workbench section later today.

Impressive work here. I'm new here and continue to be amazed at all of the talented builders. Your work is right at the top. The design, the fab, clean assembly, easily understood explanations, and sharp pics. I look forward to watching this and learning from you. Thanks for sharing your work.

Later, Dave

Thanks for the comments Jim and Dave. Glad to share with all of you guys as I have learned a ton from everyone and am glad to bring my stuff to the table.

Jim - I may need to order some wheels and tires from you as I'm still uncertain about the ones for this build.