Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altered Ego Fiat Topolino

This is looking really good so far. You've made really good job with aluminium, and those seatbelts are looking very realistic too. Can't wait to see more work with this. Gas pedal looks nice too, nothing to complaine about. B)

Niko - thanks for the comment and following along.

Got a bit more work done after work last night, well actually this morning. Got the steering mechanism and instrument panel in. Still more interior details to go like fuel shut off lever, wiring for the dash switches and steering wheel button. I bought a PE butterfly wheel for this but its just too big. Might try my hand at making one out of printing plate.

2v2ucrBmkxAhY3V.jpg

2v2ucrBV4xAhY3V.jpg

As always, input welcome.

Edited by gasser59
Updating photos.

Thanks Virgil and John. Coming from both of you, with your mad skills, I really appreciate the feedback. This has really been a fun build for me and when I'm not able to work on it, its all I seem to think about. I suppose there's a name for that.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Eric and Hugh. Yes, the brakes lines are actually metal rod that I found and it's very flexible and still retains it shape. As for turning aluminum in my Dremel, well it was already the correct diameter but I wanted it a bit shiner and the leading edge smooth and shiny so I married it up with the correct sized collet and polished it with 600 grit. After it was done, I cut off the excess by rolling/cutting with an X-Acto. It was actually done on a low speed with my Dremel Stylus power tool. The modeler's best friend.

Thanks for the compliment John. The brake cylinder was made from 1/16" tubing for the horizontal piece and a piece of 1/8" tubing for the vertical part which was notched out to fit the smaller tubing. I puttied up the larger tubing at the top and after sanding, painted it flat black. The head of a small straight pin is on the visible end of the smaller tubing to give it a finished look. I'd like to say I made the tach as well but it is an aftermarket piece purchased at the LHS. Its turned aluminum and has a couple decals and PE pieces that I found it hard to even see with my magnifier, like the gauge needles.

More updates soon. Thanks all for following along.

I had about two hours of bench time before work this evening so I was able to make a butterfly steering wheel out of aluminum flashing from the big home centers. I also made the thumb buttons and brace for between the sides of the wheel out of printing plate and tiny brass brads but ran out of time to get pictures posted. Not absolutely certain on the switch plate at this point though, but the wheel looks great. Once I get home later, I'll get them added. I'm really excited about how it came out and can't wait to show you guys.

Stay tuned...

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Danno and Chris. Your comments are always appreciated. Dan - its a Model Car Garage piece numbered MCG-2145 - Top Fuel Interior Details (A). Good luck.

Thanks, m'man!

Uh ... now that the MCG wheel is surplus, you wanna recoup some expense on that? Is it for sale? :)

Edited by Danno

Hi Brad, The interior is coming out crazy good!!! Your wheel looks great, keep it coming. How did you add those rivets??

Randy

Thanks Randy. To which rivets are you refering to? If its the ones on the bottom bent edge of the output shaft tunnel, they were drawn on with a extra fine Micron black felt tip. If its not these, let me know.

Edited by gasser59

A bit more bench time, so here's today's update. Added a bracket for the throttle cable to keep it out of the way for the lowered body and added the reverse lever on the direct drive. Once the engine is glued in, which I hope is soon, this will connect to the shift lever that's already for installation. Also, wired in all of the switches behind the dash panel. Just need to finish the engine end of the fuel shut-off cable and then the engine can be glued in.

CableStrap-vi.jpg

That's all for today. Hope to have more done tonight so stay tuned...

Edited by gasser59