Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future?

You guys are using the Future Floor Wax, (or what is it) for many different subjects. I'd like to hear all of the ways, you use it, and how? I've been amazed, when I notice future used almost everywhere. So what are the things, you like to do with Future? I've seen some bottles of it here in Finland too, and I've been thinking of buying it, so maybe it would be a good stuff. And I know, that there are many topics about future, but now I'd like to hear all of the ways to use it.

Thanks.

I highly recommend it for a quickie way to barrier a styrene body against "hot" paints as that article shows. I've used this in the past when guys were screaming about Revell's "new" plastic which wasn't holding up very well with the hotter automotive paints, when this was not a problem a few years earlier.

Here's a pic of a Revell '05 Mustang hood which was the subject of howls of protest of the new softer plastic Revell was using. I airbrushed the hood with Future------and then subsequently primered and painted the hood with no crazing of the plastic whatsoever :lol: .........................

Pb050774-vi.jpg

Here's the hood all rubbed out and polished after the paint was cured.............no crazing! BTW, the paint is not as speckly as it appears in the photo-----the metallic is a lot more subtle than it appears.

Pb230804-vi.jpg

It's also a great barrier for sealing that nasty red plastic that wants to bleed no matter what you do! Here's my '55 T-Bird which was once molded in red, but I used Future to seal the plastic and airbrushed it in pretty Thunderbird Blue. (the hardtop's a little crooked, but it does fit correctly! :lol:)

tbirdhardtopfront-vi.jpg

You can brush Future on as it leaves virtually no brush strokes------or you can airbrush it on, but be careful as it's a bit runny, so a lesser PSI would be needed to shoot it well.

HTH!

I can't tell you much - but I can tell you that, when airbrushed, REALLY doesn't like high air pressure.

I can tell you that quick passes and air pressure set around 10 PSI have worked for me. You'll also want to keep a small but good paint brush at the ready---------this is for when the Future likes to pool near the rockers and quarter panels.

Your brush should wick it away while it's wet. I have let mine sit overnight and then painted right over it the next day with no trouble.

You can also dip a model in Future and let it drip dry in a "clean room", like a box you can seal up so air does not get to it. It will self-level, and you can use Windex to wick away any buildup you might get, or you can brush the area with more Future to thin it out again.

• 2 weeks later...

I dip all the clear parts in it (make sure to cover it from dust). I also mix transparent colors with future and food coloring,,it flows like a dream.

I also left a small open bottle of it evaporate to about 50%.( a filled pactra bottle took 2 weeks). it's a great glue for attaching chrome to the final painted model... this is a big big ,,main use for me now

Edited by scalenut

A question i should have asked a long time ago. Since my airbrush does not like to work. Can you mist future on from a spray bottle?

You CAN... the only problem I see with that is once the outside air hits the nozzle it'll seal the hole up.

When you can dip whole car bodies in Future or apply it liberally with a paintbrush, why would you even want to squirt it? If you need Future on a select part you can just dip that part alone, or if the part is already on a model you can brush it on as if you were brush detailing.

Ohh, one other thing about the magical Future I forgot to mention.

Dipping clear and chrome parts in Future will protect them from the hazing that occurs with certain glues, namely SUPERGLUE. The hazing is caused when the vapors from the glue come into contact with the unprotected plastic glass and chrome, causing those parts to fog up really bad.

Ohh, one other thing about the magical Future I forgot to mention.

Dipping clear and chrome parts in Future will protect them from the hazing that occurs with certain glues, namely SUPERGLUE. The hazing is caused when the vapors from the glue come into contact with the unprotected plastic glass and chrome, causing those parts to fog up really bad.

Thanks, Robert for that info! It's great to hear that there's a solution to that problem too. Future is something, I must get. SOON! Well, it's coming a little break to building after saturday, but after that I'll buy Future and try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good answers, cause they led to more questions.

Bill said Future first then prime. What if I'm doing body work and need to putty/prime/sand?

Won't primer protect the plastic?

Dosn't plastickote act as a barrier also?

Could you just put down barrier and skip primer? Don't think that's good.......

Thanks guys!!