Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Citroen 2cv

GeeBee

I've been working on this for the last few days, I wanted to do it in Citroen Jaune Primevere (Primula Yellow)I ordered the paint from paints4u.com, hopefully it will look like the one in the photo below when it's finished !! while I was ordering the paint I also had a small amount of Gris Rose mixed up for the wheels and bumpers, the interior is a brown/orange colour, which I will more than likely have to mix up myself.

JaunePrimevere1.jpg

Yesterday I started work on the bodyshell and body parts, there were a few mold lines to remove from the bodyshell, two that run on both sides of the 'shell from the front windshield to the boot, didn't take too long to remove with a medium grit sanding stick, the bodyshell and all body colour parts were cleaned up,and then given a good soak in warm water with dishwasher detergent added, followed by a scrub using a toothbrush and some smokers tooth powder and then a rince in cool water, all parts were then left to dry on paper towels.I have started building up the the engine and gearbox which needs to be painted in aluminium, small parts need to be picked out in semi glass black, apart from a few ejector pin marks there wasn't too much to clean up, care had to be taken to fix on the front inboard brake drums withour glueing the driveshafts, as they need to move to line up with the wheels when finished,

100_3050.JPG

100_3056.JPG

100_3055.JPG

Parts%20in%20primer.JPG

Finally block sanded the primer and put on it's gloss coat, I put a few thin coats on to start with, there were a few dust spots to deal with, those were sanded out, then i changed the needle set up in the airbrush and put on a couple of wet coats, I will leave it to dry for a week or so, then it will be time to polish.

100_3064.JPG

Front & rear seats painted, I couldn't find a pre-mixed shade, so I had to have a go at mixing it myself, I was aiming at the colour in the photo below, I took the photo just after I had painted them, hopefully they will dull down after they have dried out, as I used satin gloss paints to mix the shade ....

interior.jpg

100_3072.JPG

Done a bit more this morning, how I was going to do the rear screen surround was driving me nuts, but was pretty simple to do in the end, masked off with Tamiya tape, then the body was covered in clear food wrap to stop any overspray, and was then sprayed in satin black lacquer, the roof was sprayed in the same paint, here's a photo with the roof attached (Only temporary) as tamiya give you the option of open and closed roof, I'm not sure which one I'm going with at the moment.

Rear%20screen%20surround.JPG

Roof%20fitted.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well it's been 6 weeks since I've touched this one, as I was away building the little "Frogeye" Sprite, only got a little bit done, but the side trims have been bugging me, as I wasn't sure if they were chrome or aluminium, turned out there aluminium, so I cracked out the aluminium BMF, and got the 2 side doors done, the rear wing will be done next, followed by the next side and the trim under the canvas roof at the back.

BMF%20on%20doors.JPG

I had to mix that shade myself, I usually use acrylics, but had nothing near the colour I needed, I have a load of Humbrol & Revell enamels, which I hardly use, but again, nothing close to the shade I needed, so it was a bit of this one, a bit of another, etc, I got it as close as I could to the photo I had of the interior I want to replicate.

this was a few doors up from our apartment in Portugal. daily driven still, i thought it was pretty awesome.

File59.jpg

very nice work, keep us posted ;)

A very nice "Plums & Custard" 2CV Dolly ..... that was the same colour as the first 2CV I ever drove !!

Edited by GeeBee

I'm really enjoying this build. My baker-boy-cap-wearing art teacher had one in exactly this colour, how's that for matching stereotypes? Can't for my life remember what it looked like inside, probably never checked.

How does the ordering from Paints4U work? Especially for small amounts of paint?

I visited their website and the smallest I see is 1/2 litre for 20 quid. Or a scratch repair kit which comes in as little as 30ml bottles, but they toss in a plethora of unnecessary stuff so they can charge 14 quid.

Edited by Junkman

How does the ordering from Paints4U work? Especially for small amounts of paint?

I visited their website and the smallest I see is 1/2 litre for 20 quid. Or a scratch repair kit which comes in as little as 30ml bottles, but they toss in a plethora of unnecessary stuff so they can charge 14 quid.

I just order either 100mls of pure paint, I mix it 70/30 with thinners you get a lot of paint, if I only need a small amount, I order the 30ml pot, again this can be mixed 70/30 with thinnners, best to phone them, speak to Louise, she's very helpful.

OK, I see, but, could you tell exactly what colors you used to start?

Thanks!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

I had to mix that shade myself, I usually use acrylics, but had nothing near the colour I needed, I have a load of Humbrol & Revell enamels, which I hardly use, but again, nothing close to the shade I needed, so it was a bit of this one, a bit of another, etc, I got it as close as I could to the photo I had of the interior I want to replicate.