Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Citroen 2cv

GeeBee

Engine bay finished ...

Enginebayfinished-vi.jpg

I was going to go ahead and start putting the chrome on, but I really didn't like the look of the Tamiya chrome, it would have looked a little bit toy like on the 2cv, so it got stripped and will be re-done using Alclad.

Partsreadyforprimeralclad1-vi.jpg

With the Morgan away while the paint dries out on the bodyshell, I did a little more to the 2cv, the Headlamp bowls were stripped of there chrome as I thought the chrome in the kit looked a little bit toy like, so I stripped all the chrome and re-did them using chrome Alclad.

The headlamps and lenses were fitted onto the bar, which needed fitting on top of the fan housing, but doing this, the bar didn't line up with the indents in the bonnet, so the fan housing had to be removed, the bar was glued onto the housing, once dried, the fan housing was refitted, doing this casued the housing not to line up with the rest of the engine, the bonnet isn't a great fit, but I'm hoping once the front bumper is fitted it will hold the bonnet in place.

Headlamps%20fitted%20(1).JPG

Headlamps%20fitted%20(2).JPG

Front & Rear bumpers fitted, looking on some other modelling forums and build reviews, it seems that the misalignment of the front lamps and bonnet are a common issue with this kit,I managed to get around the lamp issue by removing the fan housing, fixing on the lamps then refitting the fan housing,I am leaving the bonnet as it is, as the only solution is the glue the bonnet shut, which isn't what I wanted to do.

There are two decals in the kit that are supposed to be for the black trim on the bumpers, I tried using them but they broke up into pieces, I'm not sure if they were just a bad set, or a common problem, but I got round the problem by simply painting the section needed to be done in black by using Tamiya semi gloss black paint.

Bumper%20fitted%20(1).JPG

Bumper%20fitted%20(2).JPG

Bumper%20fitted%20(4).JPG

hey that looks great and a suggestion: maybe if you got two of those micro micro super strong magnets and glued them, one on the body and one on the bonnet, the hood would snug down tight against the body, given of course there isnt interference under the hood/bonnet. if you can find room at this late date, magnets work great for that kind of thing.

• 8 months later...

I can't believe this one has been sitting in it's box since September, so with the Charger finished and waiting for the the acrylic showcase I've ordered for it, and the Porsche 911 cabriolet on hold, I thought I would get the little 2cv back on the bench, most of the small parts have been painted, and if I could spend a few hours on this build, I could get it finished .... the back, front and rear side windows needed to be done in black to replicate the window rubbers, while the 2 front side windows needed to be done in polished aluminium, the black was done by masking up the windows and airbrushing using Tamiya semi gloss black acrylic while the front side windows was done using aluminium BMF ...

Windowsmasked.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

• 4 months later...

Right, I think it's about time this build was finished, after taking a break for the summer months to concentrate on my photography, I managed to get in the hobby room and give it a good clean out, and now in 99.9% finished on this one, just the wipers and a few decals to apply ....

2012-09-29184000.jpg

2012-09-29184557.jpg

2012-09-29182355.jpg

Beautiful modeling. The precise attention to finishes and detail is an inspiration. I keep a mental list under "some day when I grow up I want to model like this", to which I am adding this one. There's something very liberating about having this much control over fit and finish. It makes it possible to extract the maximum pleasure available from a model car kit, especially this one where there is much crispness of molding and small detail to work with. Thanks for sharing. :)B)