Model Cars Magazine Forum

news handover pa new hobby lobby is coming

sept opening its more of a art store but its looks like it has the basics for me .... plastic model kits cars trucks planes ab and stuff ........note im sorry to say that this store is on my way to town i can stop in every time i go by . i going to be so broke ......today the nearest store 35 miles round trip gettysburg or 55 to york... im sorry i must be venting

A Hobby Lobby just opened about a month ago in Manchester, NH. I don't understand how a store that is physically bigger than any Super Wal-Mart I have ever seen is such a disappointment model kit wise, but it is.

No real loss... at the other end of that shopping plaza is a real hobby shop.

I hope it is better than ours....other than for paints I wouldn't ever need to go there. They were great when they first opened and quickly put everyone else in the area out of the model business. Then they got expensive. Then they cut way back on kits(down to a 10 foot section of shelving and its mostly die-cast,military,ships)now. Ours never gets anything fresh or new to the market....guess there selling enough fake flowers here?

Mark, I could say the same of both nearby Michiaels , ( my house ). Meanwhile , we have one Hobby Lobby nearly 35 miles north of me . I stopped in , bought the die cast kits I couldn't buy anywhere else , (HERE IN DA LAN DAT TIME FERGOT ) and neva returned ............... Ed Shaver

Hobby Lobby is going to open here in Pittsburgh in September, I'm curious how its going to be, there's a Hobby Town less then a mile away from it.

I too am looking forward to the new Pittsburgh location Terry...the HobbyTown you speak of is pretty lame for plastic kits, so I'm hoping the Hobby Lobby will be better, I know the ones near me in Ohio are pretty good.

Hobby Lobby stores are great if you want to pick up kits at their 30-40% off sales or coupon deals but they will never be an outlet for new releases. As some have mentioned, they vary in the selection and size of their departments and I would guess that has something to do with the manager and sales history.

I use them as a source for duplicate kits that I may want for kitbashing but that is about it. Where I live in the Charlotte area, they are about my only source unless I drive an hour away for a real hobby shop or a well stocked Hobby Town USA, which I know sounds funny but I do have a couple of those!

A Hobby Lobby just opened about a month ago in Manchester, NH. I don't understand how a store that is physically bigger than any Super Wal-Mart I have ever seen is such a disappointment model kit wise, but it is.

Get what you can at the Hobby Lobby with the 40-50% off coupons and run down to the other end of the plaza for everything else. B)

Edited by Skydime

Get what you can at the Hobby Lobby with the 40-50% off coupons and run down to the other end of the plaza for everything else. ;)

Get what? They had next to nothing! Much like others described. <_<:lol:

Yeah Jon you are right.. and the same "real" hobby shop used to be 5 minutes from my house until the landlord raised the rent, and the hobby shop owners said %$@# you and moved to Manchester. What's worse is that the store where they used to be has been empty since they left, which has to be 3 + years now.

sept opening its more of a art store but its looks like it has the basics for me .... plastic model kits cars trucks planes ab and stuff ........note im sorry to say that this store is on my way to town i can stop in every time i go by . i going to be so broke ......today the nearest store 35 miles round trip gettysburg or 55 to york... im sorry i must be venting

Hanover? Really? For a while there I was heading to a hobby store in Hanover every weekend. It was well stocked and had a nice selection of old and new kits, paints and supplies, and aftermarket parts, but closed down several years ago. :D I assumed from a lack of business. Not sure how a new one is going to do thee, but I hope it works out.

There's a Hobby Lobby about 45 mins from me. First (and last) time I went in there was when I was on my way back here from PA. They had NOTHING. Here in jackson, other than Michaels, we have the Toy House, which specializes in baby stuff. They have a real decent selection of kits and paint, but at the average of $25 per kit. That's why I prefer the internet. For the most part, AutoZone and Meijer gets my business for paint since I've started using Duplicolor. Occasionally I got to Michaels for the Testors Laquer when I have the coupon.

The Hobby Lobby here is decent. 24 ft of car models. They have a decent selection of tools (more than the local hobby shop) and are getting in more paint. Of course it doesn't hurt that BOTH the new store manager and assistant store manager are model guys. They will even "order" a model for you if the warehouse has it. Of course when the managers move on the models will probably dry up again.

The Michaels here is a joke. I've gone in twice a month for the last year and I am not kidding only 3 different kits on the shelves today that weren't there last year. Even when they do their coupon nobody buys.