Model Cars Magazine Forum

jo han question

From wikipedia:

In 2000, Jo-Han was purchased from the ailing Seville by Mr. Okey Spaulding, and a new company, "JoHan Models LLC" was formed. Through about 2005, it produced a few of the original models in limited quantities, including the 1956 Plymouth, 1963 Chrysler Turbine car, 1959 Rambler station wagon, as well as some 1950s Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. Spaulding sold cars through his website for a time, but as of 2010 all sales are done through the bid site emodelcars.com, though few models have been listed there.

Okey still sells the bodies he has left at local toy shows. Usually the larger ones. I purchased his 56 Plymouth, 56 Olds and 56 Pontiac recently (in the past year) and he sells them with resin interiors, that are QUITE NASTY! the resin is still sticky and there are objects in it. The basic stuff to build a nice curbside are there, but if your gonna build a DETAILED model from one, your in for a bit of a job.HTH. :lol:

Guest Johnny

I'm not sure now who had it at the time. But I ordered the Rambler Wagon, a 56 Olds and some Machine decals through the site and never received my items and the site went down shortly after..

I'm not sure now who had it at the time. But I ordered the Rambler Wagon, a 56 Olds and some Machine decals through the site and never received my items and the site went down shortly after..

Okey Spaulding was "JoHan" since 2000.

The only way, imho, you're going to get anything decent is to do as I did. Shop e-bay cause you know you'll get it, or maybe some of the re-sellers may have some. I have quite a few Jo-Han kits and this is how I got them. You might even find some here by posting in the wanted section. One never knows.

Edited by my66s55

Guest Johnny

Okey Spaulding was "JoHan" since 2000.

It was about 4 years or more back when you went to the JoHan site and they were selling off the site.

It was about 4 years or more back when you went to the JoHan site and they were selling off the site.

Right, they sold through the site. But "they" was Okey Spaulding. He was "JoHan," there wasn't anyone else. It was a one-man operation. He bought the company (or what was left of it) from Seville and kept the "JoHan" name, but the name is the only thing that he and the "real" JoHan from the 60s had in common.

Guest Johnny

Right, they sold through the site. But "they" was Okey Spaulding. He was "JoHan," there wasn't anyone else. It was a one-man operation. He bought the company (or what was left of it) from Seville and kept the "JoHan" name, but the name is the only thing that he and the "real" JoHan from the 60s had in common.

I realized that Harry. Was sad to see what happened to JoHan happen like it did. T

Too bad someone that knew what they were doing didn't get to it first (before Seville) so more could have been saved. Now it seems it is all gone. B)

I realized that Harry. Was sad to see what happened to JoHan happen like it did. T

Too bad someone that knew what they were doing didn't get to it first (before Seville) so more could have been saved. Now it seems it is all gone. B)

If you mean all the old JoHan tooling, I think you're right.

Yeah it was a big bummer for me when Jo-Han closed up shop....always loved their kits and never cared about the flash they usually had. At least they made models of some no one else could or would I guess. I have many buildups to refurbish of my dads I have to hope I can find parts for sometime. To me they were one of the best out there.

Yeah it was a big bummer for me when Jo-Han closed up shop....always loved their kits and never cared about the flash they usually had. At least they made models of some no one else could or would I guess. I have many buildups to refurbish of my dads I have to hope I can find parts for sometime. To me they were one of the best out there.

Try The Modelhaus...www.modelhaus.com...I hope this helps!! Roy

Thanks for the information Roy.... too bad Modelhaus does not make a lot of the parts needed,will have to hope to find the ones they don't :) . The first kit my dad got me started in building was an old Jo-Han(Haulin-Hearse)still have it but needs a lot to repair/restore and then there's all of his :blink: . Yep the subject matter of Jo-Han kits were always good to me and were detailed well.

If Okey isn't even making what few plastic toolings JoHan has left were are they now? I mean the Ramber is pretty cool I would think Revell or R2 would jump at the chance to get the tooling for it. Even Galaxie Limited or Mobius would probably be interested.

hi found your site a few nights ago and am liking it a lot

Ive been out of the loop since 1995 or so has anything gone on with johan since then?

thanks

scott

This story has been told numerous times over the years...

The remaining molds were ravaged by irate employees because they were not being paid...

The inserts for most of the tooling was sold for scrap by them...

The sad fact is there is just not enough left of what once was the famous Johan Model Company to even consider these days...

It's over !!!...

Bill...

I have never really understood the facination with JOHAN. aside from the fact that they released a lot of kits the other model companied didn't, most of their stuff was garbage. The chassis in most were glorifid promo chassis, you were luky if the engine included was actually correct for the car and had very simplified interiors. If any modern model company was to release most of their kits today, they would be torn to shreds. Sure there are exceptions like the caddilac ambulance, the Crysler turbine, and some of their pro-stock kits, funny cars and classics, But their mainstream kits left a lot to be desired.

I would love to see some of the subjects done again, but only as modern high quality kits. my top ten are, if anyone from the model companies are listening, as follows;

1. The AMC AMX. Any year will do but I'm partial to the early cars.

2. AMC Rebel Machine

3. AMC S/C Rambler

4. any of their mid sixties cadillacs

5. AMC Marlin

6. 1962 Dodge Super stock

7. 1962 Oldsmobile F-85

8. 1962 Buick special

9. 1966 Cadillac ambulance

10. AMC Javelin

Edited by Darin Bastedo