Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Falcon Sprint HT

SteveG

Here's a few more photos ....

Picture423-vi.jpg

Picture452-vi.jpg

Picture451-vi.jpg

I'm very pleased with how it came out and it was fairly easy to build. With some added detailing and or minor kit-bashing it could be a great model. If you want to check out more in progress photos just follow the link below.

http://public.fotki....ects/page6.html

For those who've been waiting for udates on the 65 Ranchero build I hope to do some more posting on it over the weekend as I've made a lot of progress on it this week.

Stay tuned....

Steve

Nice job! I like the brightwork and the wheel covers. Is that a Trumpeter kit? B)

Steve, that really turned out killer... The color is real KOOL, what color did yo use???

Thanks for all the compliments !!!

Yes, that's the new Trumpeter kit..... The paint is a current Duplicolor GM paint color. It's actually a very close match to 64 Ford Vintage Burgandy. It was overcast when I took the photos and the color looks washed out in some of them. I'll try to take some more photos next time it's nice out.

That looks really good! The two things that really jump out at me as seeming wrong are the chassis just looks toylike and the back bumper looks too big.

gus

The chassis pan is probably the weak point of the kit, especially the rear section. The shape of the exhaust behind the rear axle doesn't help either. It should be more flowing. I could fix the exhaust pretty easy but I'm not sure what the chassis needs to look better as underside photos are hard to find.

As far as the rear bumper goes, proportionately it matches my reference photos pretty close. The edges are a little too crisp just like the rest of the kit. There should be more of a gap between the rear body trim and the bumper with some body color showing through.

It's fixable but not worth effort to strip the chrome and do the minor reshaping needed, then replate it. I'll probably add license plates front and rear which will help. For this build I limited myself to what I could do with just the kit parts, paint and foil. The kit decals didn't include any plates unfortunately.

-Steve

i'll be hunting this kit down as well; even though my own Falcon is a '62 tudor sedan.... i have had Falcons out of every year except 67 and 68... and i've spent enough time underneath them to account for what deficiencies you're seeing. the rear frame rails, from the front spring pocket back to the bumper, are too narrow and too close together, placing the rear springs too close together and "crowding" the fuel tank, which seems like it should be farther forward and further from the edge of the trunk floor. it's my suspicion that Trumpeter is aware of the rear axle placement and left the discrepancy there to allow modelers to install larger wheels and tires without chopping holes in the chassis. i can't explain the exhaust; it follows no factory schematic i've seen, even Mustangs. the body and interior looks great, even with the faults we've discussed before. you've done a fantastic job and thanks for not hiding any of the faults Trumpeter left.