Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy BelAir Mild Custom Two Door Hardtop Conversion

John Goschke

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie, here on the Model Cars forum. I see a lot of fine work here! Here's my first contribution...

It's a conversion of the Monogram 1/25 '55 convertible to a two door hardtop, using the roof and glass from the old tool AMT '57 Chevy. I absolutely had to get this done before Revell/Monogram releases the kit this year!

The engine is the dual-quad 283 from AMT's new tool '57 with valve covers from their '57 Vette, and air cleaners from the '62 Super Duty Catalina. The transmission mounts had to relocated and new header pipes were needed to mate the '55 exhaust to the '57 manifolds. The fan and front engine cover from the '55 and a little shaving of the fan pulley were necessary to clear the radiator.

Bumpers are from the AMT '55 Nomad and wheel covers are from their '53 Corvette. Paint is Tamiya Gold with Tamiya Clear. Interior colors are Testors enamels mixed to the '55 red and ivory color combo, except for the lower dash which is Tamiya Gold/Clear.

The car's also been lowered a little--about 2 1/2" front, 2" rear and of course it's been "nosed, decked, and shaved"!

Hope you like it!

Belair1.JPG

Belair2.JPG

Belair3.JPG

Belair4.JPG

Belair5.JPG

Belair6.JPG

Belair7.JPG

Belair8.JPG

John is one of the Philly guyz we rescued him from an airplane club.

Just think about all that talent going to waste on some plane.

by the way hello John :mrgreen:

...And usually an Aurora or Frog plane at that! Thank you for helping me see the light, Mr. Epstein!

Looks great John,

Can not wait to see it at tomorrow nights meeting. Why don't you post both 32's they are both outstanding. Glad we rescued you from the airplane people. Will you be able to make the Mid-Atlantic NNL on the 12th. I think the prison van will be running agin and you are invite to ride along with us.

Bob D