Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hornet's Nest: Hudson Hornet Build Madness!

Dr. Cranky

Great looking Chop Top Hudson. I really like that top shaping-you've done that Chop really nicely. Maybe that other body looks too massive with that much chopped top. maybe little sectioning would have looked good too. BUT it's not bad now, really nice build so far.

Great looking Chop Top Hudson. I really like that top shaping-you've done that Chop really nicely. Maybe that other body looks too massive with that much chopped top. maybe little sectioning would have looked good too. BUT it's not bad now, really nice build so far.

That's the one thing I don't like about the Jimmy Flintstone resin body- it is chopped way, way, way too much (at least to my eye). I think Todd nailed it with his chop, and the hardtop conversion seals the deal. B)

Sectioning a Hudson would be a chore in 1:1 (it's a unibody) but I have seen it done. Doing it in 1:25 should be VERY workable- my next project will probably be chopped and sectioned.

Mark- chassis looks good! Chassis is good quality too, only thing, which aint right, is that on the wheel wells, there's missing some frame tubing:

Hudson_ja_ruukki_003.jpg

But that doesn't matter, nice job with it. ;)

I applied some bondo to the seams on the front seat. Needs to sand them, and tomorrow I can post a picture, maybe. :rolleyes:

Little update. I installed throttle linkage. I also built fuel lines. Had to drill some holes for those details, and then I glued them on their places with super glue. Also sanded that seam, which was filled with bondo, from that front seat. Some paint on it too, still needs to paint that "Light Gray".

PC110413-vi.jpg

PC110416-vi.jpg

PC110418-vi.jpg

PC110420-vi.jpg

PC110421-vi.jpg

started work on the interior

DSC03396.jpg

i'm opening the trunk so i had to scratch some stuff to hide the empty part of the gas tank and also the rear wall between the trunk and the rear seat.

since this is "his" hudson hornet, i need to find some stuff that would fit in the trunk that make sense.

An excellent group of builds going on here! I've finally decided what to do with my Hudson...Porky's! If anyone has info or reference pics on the car from 1981's PORKY'S movie please let me know. Google only had two pics although I was able to find out it's a '52.

The Tim Flock car already has a '52 grille, and the steel wheels you would need, but using the more common '53 kit would still be feasible- you'd need to make up the triangular center piece in the '53 grille, and dig out some narrow steel wheels. The car in Porky's was a four-door. I know R&R makes a '48 4-door transkit, but 1. being an R&R it's probably on the rough side, casting wise, and 2. If I recall, it is meant to be used with an AMT '49 Merc as a donor kit, so it's just an eensy, teensy bit smaller than the Moebius Hornet. Hendrix does a couple of Hudsons, too, but I believe they are all coupes like the Moebius kit. It does sound like a cool project, Jacen- I've been planning to use the '48 4-door body on the Moebius chassis, might need to go ahead and try it out just for 'research purposes' now. :D

Other than the conversion to a four door, modifying the interior side panels and reworking some hubcaps to resemble the Hudson units would be the toughest part of that conversion.

I may be a bit late to the party.....but here is more info for yopu Hudson builders.....The 2011 HET International meet. Truely a International meet as some cars came from New Zeland!!! Driving the ocean was tough!

This 4 door was cool!

DSCN2163-vi.jpg

Here are all the pics from OKC meet......

http://public.fotki.com/DaveVan51/2011-hudson-het-nats-okc/

If you've got American Graphitti on a dvd or Blue Ray disc go take alook at it, in the scenes shot at Mel's Drive-In there's a 52 or 53 Hudson coupe parked just to the left of the door where the waitresses skate in and out...The car looks to be Black with a cream colored roof. Here are some frame grabs.

Capture-4-M.jpg

Capture-3-M.jpg

Capture-2-M.jpg

Oh, and before I forget. Merry Christmas to all!

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

I believe the Tim Flock '52 kit has a full interior, and the upholstery is slightly different than the '53's. So it might be the better of the two kits to start with for the Porky's car because of that and the grille, wheels, and hood ornament. (Then again, the Porky's car had what looked like an old JC Whitney-esque hood ornament, so scratch that for your particular build. :lol: )Then you'd just need to rework the roof, re-scribe the door lines, and make copies of the door handles. But starting with the '53 would be feasible too, just a little bit more work to pull off the conversion. Not sure if the '52 includes the stock exhaust, but if it didn't, I know I've got a few perfectly good '53 exhaust systems I'll not be using.

As far as getting both... well... of course you know I'm going to try to convince you to buy as many of these kits as humanly possible, right? B)

Sweet! Speaking of after-Christmas sales... just picked up two more Hornet kits!

Might not be seeing my '52 for a bit, I'm kind of wandering into the next one-

1948PrototypeFront-vi.jpg

1952PrototypeFront-vi.jpg

Yes... that is a Hudson pickup.

The top one is an actual 1948 prototype built by Hudson- the modified bed is from a '47 Hudson pickup. (Yes, Hudson built pickups, too.) The '52 appears to be a custom job, based around the same premise as the factory prototype. Both appear to be based on the sedan, but I won't be moving the door cut lines or b-pillar. Mine will have a bit more legroom in the cab, I guess. :D I'm also not planning to change the front to the '48 style, I will most likely leave the '53 nose, or do some kind of custom setup.

Dave- pretty nice! The Mundy livery looks great on it. (BTW- are you the same Dave Van who does decals for Model King?)

Niko- to be honest, the interior photos on the box art are what I kept going back to for reference, even though I have page after page of internet images of Hornet interiors saved on my hard drive! The buildup photos in the last issue of MCM (Bill, Len, and Sean's models) I also found very helpful.

Dave- pretty nice! The Mundy livery looks great on it. (BTW- are you the same Dave Van who does decals for Model King?)

Thanks Chuck! Yes...that's me.....you'd think I'd build the Flock kit after doing the decals!!!! But working on it for a while I wanted something different!

These Mundy decals are prototypes for new decals available for the Hudson kit. Model King will have them when ready.