Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hornet's Nest: Hudson Hornet Build Madness!

Dr. Cranky

I got to work on mine a bit. I picked up two of them and plan on doing a his and hers fully detailed. This means one in blue hues throughout and the other in girls colors like pinks and such. The paint jobs on them will both be custom with patterns matching each other in their corresponding colors. The end result will be a single display with both of them together at a car show.

I am nearly done with the first engine. I just need to finish the air cleaners and get in line for the non disappearing decals.

There were some general questions and comments about the kit that I have. I compared both of my kits along with three other kits from my local club and they all have the same "issues."

First: if you look at the frame dead on from the front, the driver side a-arm is thicker than the passenger side and it's flat whereas the passenger side is rounded. It won't affect how the kingpin goes in but may be an aesthetic thing to work on should anybody desire.

Second: what's the faint line that's above the driver side door handle? It runs parallel with the handle.

Third: I see where the heater hose runs from the water pump to the firewall. Where does the return heater go from the firewall?

I'm enjoying watching these builds and will take pics of mine tomorrow/later today.

Here's where i stand on the "his" 53 hudson hornet.

DSC03362.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

DSC03359.jpg

what i've added:

throttle linkages

spark plugs, boots, wires

fuel lines

a fuel filter (100% scratch built) with the filter element

heater hose

drilled out the end of the crank case ventilation tube

choke heater lines from the carbs to the exhaust manifold

vacuum advance from the distributor to the carb

and also put in a little wire on the starter to simulate the starter solenoid.

what's next:

touch up painting

wire the generator

wire the starter

fabricate a throttle linkage return spring (i have to figure out where it goes first)

figure out where the other heater hose goes

once i get the engine completely built, then i'll work on the chassis, which is going to include routing fuel lines, brake lines, and putting the engine and drivetrain in.

keep in mind i'm building two of these at once, and will attempt to obtain the same level of realism with both builds.

thanks for looking!

A small update of mine.

I painted the body black, wet sanded the body and won the BMF-battle for this round to give him the first clearcoat:

CIMG111113_206.jpg

Next i finished the Frame and underbody, made a little weathering:

CIMG111116_001.jpg

I panted the interieur...

CIMG111116_005.jpg

...finished the dashboard (because of missing decals i had to paint the instruments)...

CIMG111117_047.jpg

...and put it all together:

CIMG111117_053.jpg

Thats it till today. Now is folowing my favorite job - the bodywork to finish it. Love it.

Thanks buddies for attention ;)

What gold are you guys using on the engines? I still need to go out and pick up the kit myself. The more I see these, The more I want afew of them, Gray-Blue and White will be the combonation I'll be doing once I get my hands on one, I can't find them here at the hobbyshops , Everytime I go to them, Sorry were sold out, And are back ordered.

The Hornet- striped ex-coupe of mine is inching ever closer to finish (should be in Under Glass tomorrow, if my luck holds...) and a few observations-

1. If you want to install a V8 engine, you will need to trim the battery tray back- I ended up trimming mine to about half its original width. This isn't so it will clear once assembled (the battery will fit) but so you can get the completed chassis with engine up into the body.

2. The decals lay down beautifully, with no setting solutions needed, but they like to hunker down and stay in place once off the backer- take your time, be careful, and apply them exactly where you want them!

3. Watch the mounting holes- particularly on the engine, and on the mirrors- the holes seem a bit undersized.

4. Chase out the wheel bosses by twisting a drill bit into them to clear out any plating residue before inserting the metal axle (rear) or plastic stubs (front).

5. On the other project (more on that later) I think cutting the rear window unit into its three separate panes will help the rear quarter glass fit better.

6. I can't get enough of this kit. B)