Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hudson gasser!

jeffs396

My two cents worth Jeff is to start cutting................ :rolleyes: A flip front would look cool. Even if there never was one done, I say go for it...... :D and still with the injector stacks sticking out of the hood.. :o

Sully

Edited by Sully

There was a large gasser in the mid to late 60's in Ohio. It was a 50 Packard (year may be wrong). Big slab sided gasser. I do not recall the engine. Later on he ran a Lark gasser. He had the Packard and Lark at the Gasser Nationals in 2010 at Norwalk, Oh. If I could every learn how to post photos from my computer, I'd post the photos from Norwalk. Too much technology for my 60 year old brain! Aaron Dupont

• 2 weeks later...

A point about the likely hood of a Hudson Gasser, it is fairly unlikely and it probably wouldn't go far at a national level. But who's to say it could never have been done. They may have only raced at smaller local tracks. Remember, some people added weight to their Willys to put it in a lower classbracket where they would be more competitive. Plus, if that car had a fibreglass front end, aluminum doors and drunk, racing buckets, etc. it could probably fool a few people.

Now in present day, people do all kinds of crazy things just to be different. :D

Gassers ran a weight to cubic inches formula. Since this is a pretty heavy car you would need a big engine in it. There was a guy named Paul Longenecker who once ran a 60 Pontiac wagon with a big block Chevy in it in the lower classes like F/G or G/G. He carried the front end pretty high off the line. He reportedly had to change out his ring and pinion every 4 runs!!! I would recommend you get the slicks even with the fender edges. It wasn't legal to have tires outside the body. Your period-correctness of components is off a bit - if you care about that. I would go with older style wheels and an I-beam axle to go with the jacked-up look and radiused wheel wells.If your target era is 66 or older you should use piecrust slicks. Remember - gassers got a 10% engine setback.

• 3 years later...

I have this fantasy of taking a round 2 69 Chevell and making it a 68. Then throw a straight axel under it, with a blown 409 cid mill and some blue streak pie crust slicks, lose the fender wells in front, ah hell you get the picture, and wait for the green. Only problem is I never have the time, but to just daydream about it.

Mr. Yuk made a good point about gassers. They have some very basic rules, but are classified by weight to cubic inches of engine displacement. The picture of the Hudson gasser should give you a good guide. I can not remember the year, but there was a Hudson four door gasser with a 283 Chevy and powerglide that raced at the Winter Nationals at Pomona. I think it was Hot Rod Magazine that did a brief profile on the guys that put it together. I'm sure it ran in a class near the end of the alphabet and didn't really need slick for traction.

• 7 months later...