Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

how did you get hooked ..my 1st kit 1963

im a army brat .. in between post our car broke we sat in a motel 3 days .. mom and dad had to keep 4 kids happy i got a p38 1/48 lighting w paint only took 1 hour .. note::::: only 1 hour ....it did not make it to our new home..i was holding out the window watching the props spin ..it took off ..it flew away.. thats how i got hooked ..jr

I was sniffin' glue in the 50's building planes, rockets, armor, and a few multi-piece car kits. In Dec. of '59 I was given and AMT "59 Lincoln Continental Convertible kit and I was HOOKED! I've been building on and off ever since then. I got out of cars in the 90's and even sold all my kits and parts(big mistake) and got back into car modeling in about '98 and I'm in it for life.

When I was six years old my dad bought some built models to resell. The one's he couldn't sell, became my newest toys. What was weird was the cars (Jo-Han Chrysler's and Caddy's) didn't sell very well. I still have them, about ten total and seven are still in nice shape. Ever since then I have been into model kit's and Jo-Han's kits in particular. There is just something about them that draws me to them.

I think one of the first models I built was a Revell Stukka, and then a few cars including a 1940 Ford Coupe, and I was hooked. Built until I was 18 or so, then life took over. I returned to the hobby in my late 30s and have been doing it ever since.

It's a fun, great hobby, and it's good for the NERVES!

Then Doctor Cranky & EYEGORE showed up, opened the Lab-RAT-ory a few years ago and nothing's been the same since! :lol:

Guest Johnny

Second fifth teacher gave all the boys in the class a 62 Dodge unassembled promo! Her husband got them from the Dodge dealership he worked at!

My uncle helped me put it together!

Edited by Johnny

I also have to add to this thread that just as important as how you got hooked is HOW YOU HELP STAY HOOKED!!!

Case in point, a few years ago I started to NOT feel the mood until I saw this model done by our very own Jairus Watson and I loved the model so much, he was kind enough to agree to part with it and now it's part of my ever-growing collection of models built by others that mean the world to me and help me stay fired up about building:

016-vi.jpg

I honestly wish I could remember what my first model kit was. What I do know is that I became hooked as a natural extension of being a car junkie in general. Have always had a need to create things so was just a perfect fit. Alot easier for a kid back then and alot less expensive as an adult.

Edited by nhrafan

I built all sorts of subjects as a child in the 50s but it was Monogram's 1.24th 1936 Ford that really got me hooked.

I was 13 and really stoked that I could build my own version. I brush-painted it white and used the red decals and all the custom parts. It was by far the best model I'd ever built.

I bought the 34 Ford as soon as I was finished and the Model A's after that. The box art for all these was stunning.

I have been building models of all types since I was six years old, that was over fifty eight years ago, so I have no idea what my first model was. I built Balsa and tissue Model Planes, Plastic Tanks,Wooden Model Cars, etc. I built a lot of the early 1/32 plastic model cars, and the ones you bought at the Five and Dime in Clear Bags. I remember wishing the Model Car Kits had whole Engines, so when the First Model Car Kits with complete engines came out, I thought they were great. My Grand Father did Military Figures and Models and He Taught me how to use an air brush when I was about Eight, so my Model Cars were Sprayed and I won some early model Car Shows because the sprated Model looked a lot better than the ones the other kids had brush painted. I WAS HOOKED on building model cars. I am also A CAR NUT IN GENERAL. My Unkle owned a Speed Shop and built Race Cars , and Hot Rods. He Had a 32 Ford Three Window with a 59A Block with an Ardun Kit, Scot Blower, and two Carbs. He would take me for rides in that car when I was about Eight years old. The sound of the pipes rumbling, the quick change whinning, and the blower whistling were the greatest sounds I had ever heard! I have Built Model Cars ever since, mostly Hot Rods and Drag Cars, But I also Like to build 60s Muscle Cars, and Vintage Race Cars. I had drifted away from static model cars for awhile, and then a certain Cranky Old Guy Showed up with this Hurse Project he was working on, and we started talking about it and I was back To Building My Model Cars again.

If you people haven't figured it out, I'll Tell You what I told My Wife Back then Quote IT's All Virgil's Falt I'm Back building Model Cars along with the Slot Cars UnQuote!!

By the Way Virgil Do you Still Have That Model? I looked for it in your Gallery but couldn't find it, and I never did get to see it finished.

CHEERS!

Tom

Edited by Tom Setzer

I remember being in Elementary school and in one class, not sure what the class was, they let me build models. I remember them being all black with plastic tires and I think there was a 1940 Ford. I had a blast building them and always looked forward to going to that class! Later on, at that same school one of the male teachers brought in a big garbage bag full of model kits and we all got to close our eyes, reach in and pick one. I don't remember what I ended up with but the kid right after me pulled out an ERTL Great Dane extendable flat bed trailer!!!!!!! Man, I was crushed!!!!!!! I wanted that trailer soooooo bad!!!! I remember telling him that he wouldn't like it because it didn't include the tractor, like it showed on the box! LOL

Ahhhhhhhhh the good ol' days! Now I have so many kits, they're in almost every room of my home! LOL

My first kit was not my own and I didn't get to build it.but it started the fire to build models.I was in kindergarden at the time so it was about 5 years old.my first one was at 8 years old and it was a Barabus Collins van.....I had a blast with it.I build till I was 13.at 13 I worked on a farm and earned my own money to use for modeling.at the 13 year mark I desided to try a class eight truck from AMT.the T502 Peterbilt Pacemaker.....I have always build sense i bought that truck.its what i had fun at.there are times when as some of you have said,slow time or life gets in the way.but I have never gave up.I'm now 49.so its been awhile for me.I wish I knew then what I know now....but oh well.Thanks,Chris

Edited by Nova-ss

My first ever kit was in 1968 & was the Airfix (I think) Dogfight Double that included both the Spitfire & the ME BF110. I was mainly into aircraft as a kid (Air Force Brat), but filtered into 1:35 armour & figures in my teens. Although there were a few car kits throughout my modeling career, it didn't manifest itself fully until I got my drivers licence. The rest is history...

My first kit was the Johan (Haulin-Hearse) my dad got me been hooked ever since. I have always loved the building AMTs,MPCs,Hubleys,Johans....but always seem drawn to the Johan big long cars....Cadillac,Olds,Chrysler,Plymouth,AMC,Pontiac,Buick have always been favorites of mine. If there 60s to mid 70s body style-2door,4door,wagon,luxury I build them :rolleyes:

The one that nailed me was the original issue Revell Henry J.

It was 1970-'71, I would have been 10 or 11, was with my mom at a Rexall drug store when that one stopped me cold.

I had been around and "played with" my older brothers models, but none had the effect on me this one did.

Must have been the way cool box art.

I must confess to never having built it as we realised all the working features were over my 10-year-old head and picked up an easier first victim.

I do have an unbuilt original issue in the stash for when the planets perfectly re-align...

My first model was an Airfix DH-4, my first model car was a 1973 Vega, my first truck was the AMT Ford short hauler.

The DH-4 was purchased at Strete Hobbies, 1969 (gone)

Vega purchased at a small local store, 1973 (now a Mexican food mart)

Short Hauler purchased at Sears, 1975 (store closed)

Edited by Repstock