Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Pro Mod Vette.......Updated 09/28/14

1320wayne

Very nice work Wayne. Can you tell me what size nuts and bolts that you are using and where to find some.

Thanks

I am using Scale Hardware nuts and bolts. So far everything I've done is with 1.0mm nuts and bolts but I have many other sizes for different parts of the build.

• 3 weeks later...

O.K., so the basic engine is assembled and installed. After multiple test fittings it became apparent that the engine would have to be mounted between the framerails before all of the added detail can be completed as some of the braided lines and fittings and belts would be wrapping in and around the existing frame. So, I was able to get the engine to that point and then installed it. From here I can continue to add extra detail like all of the fuel lines, nitrous fittings and lines and oil lines and dry sump hardware.

I was also able to get the passenger side graphics and decals added so that the body can be prepared for clearcoating and final polishing. Don't mind all of those little pinholes on the rear of the body as they will covered up with a small strip of styrene that will help mount the rear spoiler.

DSC00522-vi.jpg

DSC00523-vi.jpg

DSC00524-vi.jpg

DSC00527-vi.jpg

DSC00528-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

I was gonna say the rear end housing, wheelie bars, trans, and other things look amazing...

But, I've come to the realization that EVERYTHING looks amazing! :)

I love the nitrous motor too! Something about those split-dominators on top really tickles my fancy. B)

I'm really enjoying watching this car come together! It's looking AWESOME!!

That looks so so so good. I only wish I could get on that level. My one question is this: what kind of program or whatever do you use to make those homemade decals? I've been wanting to do that for ages just haven't got the courage to f*** up a really good build with some decals that might stick on the finish and then just break while applying. Any help? Thank you.

That looks so so so good. I only wish I could get on that level. My one question is this: what kind of program or whatever do you use to make those homemade decals? I've been wanting to do that for ages just haven't got the courage to f*** up a really good build with some decals that might stick on the finish and then just break while applying. Any help? Thank you.

Thanks guys.

Ozzy, it's been about two years worth of trial and error with nothing more than the Word program on my computer and a simpe inkjet printer. It's relatively easy to do and as long as you use clear images that you are inserting into your word document and seal the printed decal with a suitable clear coat after the decal dries from the printer and before you start to use them you shouldn't have many, if any issues. Although, the larger the image the better your chances of having the decal separate while it's in the water as you are attempting to apply it. I have had minimal issues with what I have attempted. Every decal on this build, aside from the contingencies along the rocker panels, are homemade. The others are from a Slixx sheet. That should give you a decent comparison. What I am creating will never be the same quality (image clarity) as professional decals but is a suitable replacement for stuff that doesn't exist.

One added note, I have experienced that clear decal film reproduces better and applies better than white decal film. That being said, printing onto clear film without the benefit of printing white, or a white underlayment, limits you as to what color base coat you can apply clear decals over and still see the image.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. You're level of detail is amazing. I can' wait to see this build at either a FAST meeting or IPMS in Orlando. Unreal details.

I need to ask though, what kind of engine is that with the distributor facing forward? I don't think I've ever seen that configuration. Of course, I'm not into the drag racing scene like you are.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. You're level of detail is amazing. I can' wait to see this build at either a FAST meeting or IPMS in Orlando. Unreal details.

I need to ask though, what kind of engine is that with the distributor facing forward? I don't think I've ever seen that configuration. Of course, I'm not into the drag racing scene like you are.

Thanks Jim. I will probably have it with me at Orlando but it most likely won't be done by that show.

The front mounted distributer is a common modern setup for pro stock and nitrous powered pro mod engines like the one shown here.

untitled-vi.jpg

I was able to get the hood scoop and rear spoiler painted and added a couple of additional decals to those areas. I still have to clear them. So then I decided to mock everything up to see how it would all blend. The front tires are merely taped in under the fenders and the rear suspension is only tucked in under the body as well. Still lots to do.

DSC00541-vi.jpg

DSC00542-vi.jpg

DSC00543-vi.jpg

Here is some detail pics. of the progress on detailing the engine and some interior components. The braided line is .035 from Protech and one section of .045 for the larger oil line. The fittings for the carbs are ready to go but I need to scratch the fuel regulators and nitrous fittings before running any fuel lines.

The electronics is nearing completion and the nitrous bottles are ready to be installed as well. The decals on the bottles are homemade.

DSC00577-vi.jpg

DSC00578-vi.jpg

DSC00581-vi.jpg

DSC00579-vi.jpg

DSC00580-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne