Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Edsel - 1958

Dominik

Hi everybody,

today a old build, didn't know, in wich year i made it. Long time ago.

The only things i know are, that i used no internet for research details, BareMetalFoil was foreign word, also wiring the engine...but i remember, that the amt-kit was very easy to buid. All fixed well together and is detailed well.

Some Pics:

58Edsel.JPG

58Edsel(1).JPG

58Edsel(2).JPG

58Edsel(3).JPG

58Edsel(4).JPG

Perhaps, when i get this kit again, i would build it again with my knowledge from today...

Comments are always welcome

Edited by Dominik

Thanks buddies for your nice words.

@Walid: the color is from my Porsche, is called "lindgruen". Look:

911(15).JPG

It was just an idea, to paint a modelcar before i make the paintjob on a model for my 1:1 owened car. To test the matching color. When i build it, i didn't used the web for detail and for example colorcombis ;)

Two pictures, from a small restauration. Perhaps i give him some BareMatalFoil...

I painted the grill with Tamiya smoke...

58edselneu.JPG

amd the engine without any "tuning":

58edselneu(1).JPG

Thanks again, i like this car.

Edited by Dominik

Edsel is beautiful car. I can't understand, why they were not popular on the fifties...

1-Because the majority had a different opinion than yours...

2-Because of lack of image. Inappropriate marketing could not position it properly between Ford and Mercury as it was intended to do

3-Because it was full of hastily developed novelties which made it unreliable.

4-A part of quality problems was also due to being built on Ford (Pacer-Ranger) and Mercury (Citation-Corsair) lines. Edsel was a different car on the assembly line and caused a lot of confusion.

5-Price (perhaps??)

Well, I guess that was all (as far as my memory serves right now).

To explain this point better: Edsel design was polarizing. Many did not like the unusual 'horse collar' front. Some went far to drew similarity with,... well,... a part of the female body with sexual function. If you were in the fifties would you have loved to take your wife and kids in a car your neighbours associate its front end to a va..... ?

I am not sure how wide spread the last point was, but it is sure an indication of the public's acceptance of that design.

Great job on the build, and a nice Porsche as well! I saw this kit at my LHS the other day, I may have to pick it up soon as it looks like it'll build up into a nice model. I love 1:1 Edsels and I still regret not buying a Villager wagon that was for sale when I was in college.

Edited by Camshaft

2-Because of lack of image. Inappropriate marketing could not position it properly between Ford and Mercury as it was intended to do

3-Because it was full of hastily developed novelties which made it unreliable.

4-A part of quality problems was also due to being built on Ford (Pacer-Ranger) and Mercury (Citation-Corsair) lines. Edsel was a different car on the assembly line and caused a lot of confusion.

5-Price (perhaps??)

Well, I guess that was all (as far as my memory serves right now).

Everyone involved assembly proceedure hated the Edsel . It was viewed as an interruption and a nusiance , All of the Gee Wiz Bang googles were par for the course and de-rigure then as now . You just would not sell a mid '50's Medium Price Car without gadjets . I loved all the Edsels . I was 8 . I would have bought one . I wasn't permitted to buy one in High School . My Father didn't want me to buy an Orphan . Insted , I bought the Corvair he wanted me to own . Shudder ..BTW , he also nixed a '58 Packard Hawk in beautiful condition . Ooh , also a '60 T-Bird : too fast ! Image ..The Edsel didn't have one . If introduced in 1955 , the target MY , I think Edsels might still be with us . IMHO on that . A perfect example of the right product at the wrong time .

Your model looks to be a well preserved and maintained working for a living car . Nice , real nice ..Thanx ..

Think I LIke that??

Look at my name.

I have Several of that kit.

Building one straight, converting one into a convertible, another I have

kit-bashed with a Revell 57 Ranchero to make a Phantom Edsel Ranchero,

another has donated it's chassis & engine to a Resin Villager (was offered as

a Bermuda when I bought it)

I even have a project using 2 to "Stretch" a longer build out of.

Yes, I need to get pictures of them added to my Photobucket 'Projects" folder

I have an Original AMT 59 Annual Convertible awaiting Final color, and TWO 59 Villagers In-Progress.

Those Are pictured in my "1959 Fords' folder here;

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/1959%20Fords/

Thanks buddies!

The Edsel is a special car - it was and it still will be! Everybody, how call one his own, can be proud to serve this dark capture of Fords history.

Like them all.

I also like your stories about an Edsel. Always welcome to tell it ;)

@Daniel: a few days ago i found the pics of your collection. A lot of work on it, cool cars too.