Model Cars Magazine Forum

'8 Dodge Daytona: Sem-replica of a1:1 I owned

Olskoolrodder

I have owned three of these over the years,this was the last,owned in the mid-90's. It was a non-Z car,but had the turbo and suspension goodies,and was also the least modified of the three. The only mods visible were a set of aftermarket 16" wheels and dual exhaust (cross over-pipe under the rear half,straight pipes),and was a burgundy\black two-tone. I did have some pics of the 1:1,but they were lost in the house fire we had back in June,sigh,so this is on memory,LOL!

I'll be using this kit...

IMG_3454.jpg

...and was lucky enough to find some similar wheel,albeit in 17-scale inches...

IMG_3562.jpg

Being a non-Z,the side skirts and lip under the airdam needed sawed off...

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

More to come :)

I shot the (Tamiya from a can,I have no airbrush) primer last eve,and hd found a can of Duplicolor in a really close burgundy,so I shot the top half this eve...

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

I'll try and shoot the black around the bottom tomorrow,then set the body aside a few days to fully cure while I get going on the rest of it. More to come :)

Thanks,guys. :D

My third ever car (after totaling my second,the last Mustang I owned before the current one) was an '86 CS edition Turbo Z (silver and blac,more modded than this one),and I later owned an '89 Shelby Z that was fairly well modded (had no trouble with a stock 5.7L TPI IROC Z of the day...I had a couple those at one time too). I see a couple between '84 and '90 models running around here,at least weekly,but none are turbo cars (one's a late 90's ES V6 car). I liked em pretty well. I wouldn't mind owning another '86 CS edition restored (well...modded but looking "restored" ;) ),black on tan leather would be sweet.

I plan to add paint detailing to this build,try and do the exhaust up like the 1:1,add basicplmubing\wiring,stuff like that,nothing too outrageous (or time consuming...I have a few others I want to jump on soon,LOL).

Thanks,Mike! I had an '84 Lazer XT parts car for that 1st Daytona I ever owned. I liked it's factory wing better than the wraparounds on the Daytonas,it would have made for a nice car,fully loaded and such. :)

There's an eBay seller called n2flying (Ithink it is),he had several of these in the last week. I've bought often from him (his name is Matt...if you buy from him,tell him "tinasteve1992" sent ya and said hello). I think I picked this one up for like,$15 or so,and another one,glue kit,for a few dollars more,and a popup headlight version too. He combines shipping (really good) too. Let me know if you get one and start a build :D

I also have this one I scored from him,to build into the other 4 eye'd one I owned...

IMG_3455.jpg

And the popup light one...

IMG_3453.jpg

You can tell that first one is an '84,and the one I'm currently building an '85 by te wheels (though the ones what came in this snap kit aren't factory wheels),as the K-cars (all varients,including Chargers,Lazers,Daytonas) had 4 lug wheels through '84,then Ma (Mopar) changed up to 5 lugs for '85 and on.

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Small update,as ALL i had time to do (so far) today was to mask the bottom half and spray it...

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

Not my best pics. MAN I can't wait till tax time to buy a new camera,LOL! I'm not complaining,it survived the house fire,just doesn't shoot as good a pic as it once did.

Anyways,I'll now set the body aside a few days before clearing and detailing it,and try and start work on the rest of it tomorrow. Thanks for looking :)

Stephen, I have a soft spot for Daytonas too. I owned an 88 only got to have her for 4 months and then the onliest Ford in the world I hate ranout in front of me and she was over. My little Dana was just a standard model non turbo non sporty stuff. But man she was fun as hell and fairly quick. I could be runnin along punch it and she'd wag her little tail and run off. Put a laser spoiler on her too. As we know lasers had a different tail so the spoiler ender up turned upward looked cool. I was gonna turbo her an all when she got hit. One of these days I'll have another Dana lol.

I built the same kit your doin a while back. Box stock except a taillight mod and removing the piece under the door that didn't look right. Seems we have a lot of the same tastes in cars

S7301989.jpg

Something about the kit i now forget made me decide it was an 86.

Yep,I remember when you built that one! It still looks cool,my friend! :D Cool back story on the 1:1 you had (horrible ending for it though,sorry about the crash... :blink: ). You know,it may very well be an '86...the 85's and 86's were the only onesthis generation to have the 5 lug wheels (84's had 4 lugs and 87's were popup headlight varieties). Good looking build! B)

Stephen, cool subject for a build. My sisters first car was an 84 Daytona, pretty used when we got it. Dad bought it from the dealership he worked for, they took it in on trade and were just going to wholesale it. Dad thought it would be a good first car for my sister. Once they got the car back to dads bay, he popped the hood to put a battery in it........and here sits a tubular header! Got looking at it, and the carb had been reworked with larger needles/seats/jets. Dad got it fired up and it idled with a lope. Someone had a cam ground for it! Look into the head and there were machine marks where the ports had been played with! Man, sis got a cool car! It was FAST for what it was, and she beat a lot of the unsuspecting boys with it. Her boyfriend later totaled the car, but dad kept the drivetrain out of it.

I am watching this build with fondness!

Moparkid13- That's what was wrong with that Lazer parts car I had (the only thing wrong with it before I pulled parts),might have been a bad ECU design? :wacko:

Charlie- Thanks,Brother :)

Harry P.- I never had any probelms with either of the three's turbos,knock on wood,but I knew a few people that did...the words "80's" and "turbo technology" really shouldn't be used together in a sentance,LOL! :P:)

Joe- Yep,those are the two in my sample too. :)

brodie-83- Me too! Those IROC RT's (and Spirits) were VERY surprising performers,I drove one (test drove) once... B)

Jon- That was a gorgeous car,my friend! I always loved em in white,and those were my favorite factory wheels too :D

Bradley- Sounds like a sweet pocket rocket! Also sounds like someone did more work to it then you may realise...Carrol Shelby (y'all knew he was afilated with these,the Chargers and GLH Omni's,right?) had a full catalog of hotter parts one could order through their friendly local Dodage dealeship for these,and knowing that every one that left the Detroit aasembly line was in fact fuel injected,this one may have had one of his hot carb kits installed as well. I bet it was fun :D

I didn't get anything done to it yesterday. What time I had at the bench was spent working on the BOSS 429 I'm building for\with my son,working out mold lines and sink marks (not many of either),and my Mom's miniature Schnouser (I'm SURE that's mis-spelled) started having serious health problems (kidneys and liver shut down) and since other than Dad,Angel (dog's name) is her best friend of 6 or 7 years she was all upset so we went to visit lots yesterday,them living only 6-7 miles away (dog is home from the vet\hospital now,she may or may not make it). I have half a day's worth of errands to run today (and HAVE to spray color coats on that BOSS or Nick will be sorely disappointed),but I'm going to try and get some Daytona bench-time as well :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

I've been dragging-feet too long on this one,letting things get in the way...it's a simple build even ith the details I'll add,LOL! I'm gunna try and finish it up over the weekend,with clearing\detailing the body possible exceptions. Besides,having only finished ONE kit this year (pre-housefire,unfortunately),and that being a curbside that was alredy 95% complete when it stalled,I NEED to finish one to get my building mojo. Look for updates to be either sporadic or frequent,LOL!

OK,been working on this one today. I have the chassis main colors sprayed (detail painting will follow tonight),as well as the engine\etc,will be spraying the interior a base color (even if primer,so brush panting will adhere better) so I can get that going tonight...I was hand painting the window\body trim (black) and had a slip of the Sharpie a while ago,and since I'm NOT going to strip and respray the whole thing,touch-up will ensue tonight as well.

I decided snce I'm wanting to get on another project (REALLYbadly,LOL) soon,I'm skipping the adding of much detail (other than paint),I may still plug-wire it though (yes,I used "plug wire" as a verb,ha! :P ),we'll see. I'm hoping to finish this one up by tomorrow before bed (which is anywhere between midnight and 4AM,LOL :lol: ). More to come.