Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many camaros, corvettes and t-birds do we have to look at?

Rob, as an owner of a 1984 GT Turbo I can tell you how rare the Turbo4 83-84s are. In 1983, there were less than 500 GT Turbos built, and less than 4,000 84 GT Turbos. These cars ushered in SEFI and the EECIV system. I have an early-84 GT Turbo sitting in my garage, awaiting restoration.

And less than 10,000 TOTAL SVOs for the 84, 85, 85.5, and 86 production runs.

Edited by whale392

Rob, as an owner of a 1984 GT Turbo I can tell you how rare the Turbo4 83-84s are. In 1983, there were less than 500 GT Turbos built, and less than 4,000 84 GT Turbos. These cars ushered in SEFI and the EECIV system. I have an early-84 GT Turbo sitting in my garage, awaiting restoration.

Cool...I can't recall the last time I saw one of those. I have the original brochures somewhere in my stash.

There have been a lot of Fox Mustangs in my family over the years....

I've had an '86 LX (2.3) notchback and an '87 GT...my brother has a '79 Indy Pace Car, '82 GT, and an '85 GT. My Mom had a '79 hatchback, '86 GT, and a '90 LX 5.0.

And since I have a feeling that a 'prove you own it' is coming................

P3170136.jpg, 125.jpg, 120.jpg

This car is an early-84 production car, with every option available at the time (included was the customer-requested/Cars and Concepts fitted) sunroof. Originally Oxford White exterior with the Regatta Blue interior. 145HP 2.3L non-intercooled Garrett T3 .60-.63 turbo and the WC T5 trans, 7.5" trac-loc rear, TRX suspension/handling package..........

And since I have a feeling that a 'prove you own it' is coming................

P3170136.jpg

Gah!, my (four) eyes! runaway.gif

;)

At least this thread is still (semi-) on topic. That Revell SC T-bird kit does go together very well from what I remember. drama.gif

Edited by Casey

2038846635_ace55714e51.jpg

In May of 1990, I bought a new Mustang GT from "Bill Brown-Truck Town"> Ford dealership on Plymouth Rd. in Livonia MI

It was Ultra Blue with silver panels on the bottom. It had a 5.0 w/5spd. rated at 225 hp. out of the box. Within a year and 5 thousand dollars later it was making WELL over 300 hp. The most costly up grade was the frame connectors to keep the body from twisting-the cheapest up grade was a few washers behind the throttle cable to get full travel out of the gas pedal.

That Mustang could/would eat the SVO's and SC's lunch !! ...in it's class-the only thing that gave it a good run was an un-marked Dearborn Police 1992 Cougar with a 5.8... I gave it a good try until he turned those lights on !! :o

If Christian says he owned a 5.0 SC Thunderbird,I believe him. There are a lot of differences between automobiles that we have available here in the states and what they have available across the pond. Some models are introduced in Europe before we ever see them or know about them,so it is possible that he had something we haven't seen before. Even in the '50s and '60s,there was a big difference between the U.S. cars and Canadian cars and they're just across the border from us. I haven't seen anyone doubting him that actually lives in England either. Finally,the first Cobra Mustang was introduced in 1976 as the Cobra II. The King Cobra came out in '78 which was the only year for a King.

well, until Christian or anyone else shows undeniable proof that Ford produced 5 liter SC's for export, i call BS ;)

I don't really consider it that important what you call what.

If I dig up my, or recieve photos from the current owner of the car, I'll post them, but it's not something I will make the primary mission for the rest of my life.

I know what I had, that is plenty enough for me.

I said it before, and I say it again, the Supercharged V6 wasn't officially sold in Europe, because it did not survive sustained high speeds. And to the person who claims it was based on a Cologne V6: No, it wasn't. It was based on the Essex V6.

Edited by Junkman

well, until Christian or anyone else shows undeniable proof that Ford produced 5 liter SC's for export, i call BS ;)

Like I posted earlier, on automobile-catalog.com, which lists all models produced including models for export listed by country, there is no 1991 T-Bird SC 5.0L listed... not as an American car or for export to other countries.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

I don't really consider it that important what you call what.

If I dig up my, or recieve photos from the current owner of the car, I'll post them, but it's not something I will make the primary mission for the rest of my life.

I know what I had, that is plenty enough for me.

I said it before, and I say it again, the Supercharged V6 wasn't officially sold in Europe, because it did not survive sustained high speeds. And to the person who claims it was based on a Cologne V6: No, it wasn't. It was based on the Essex V6.

The Thunderbird of that era wasn't officially sold in Europe at all, was it? I assume this was an import through a dealer or something? It was probably modified by a US dealer before shipping abroad. I've seen ads in Car, Top Gear and other UK car magazines for brokers in Europe that import new Ram pickups, Mustangs, Camaros, and other vehicles not officially sold in those markets...

Edited by Rob Hall

Like I posted earlier, on automobile-catalog.com, which lists all models produced including models for export listed by country, there is no 1991 T-Bird SC 5.0L listed... not as an American car or for export to other countries.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

Does it list the Chevy powered Buick Electras and Cadillac DeVilles for export EEC? Does it list the cars that were built in Switzerland and Antwerp? Does it list the Dodge Spirit come Chrysler Saratoga? Does it list the Chrysler Voyager, Chrysler Daytona, Chrysler Laser?

Edited by Junkman

Not sure if this has been said yet, but...

To you and me, there's a billion different Camaro models. To the owner of a Camaro with an obscure graphics/body/interior/engine package that is, as of yet, unavailable in scale, there aren't nearly enough Camaro models.

Edited by Camshaft

i've been out of modeling for a long time.

scanning ebay for model kits i am amazed at how many corvettes, t-birds, mustangs and camaros etc etc there are for sale. whats with these manufacturers? - its the same ole same ole stuff reboxed 100 differnt ways.

it seems like there is a bigger selection of nascar models then regular cars. how about some good ole americana like an ambassador, rebel, metropolitan, bonneville, catalinas. how about a pontiac ventura, cadillac seville or maybe a olds custom cruiser wagon or ford falcon economy. where are the pintos and the vegas and valients and demons?

are the tooling costs to make these just so outrageous its not worth it to them. i would love to see a bigger selection.

good news i just read that MPC is reissuing the amc gremlin. now that's one i will buy.

Well, then you need to keep an eye on re-issued kits and on what Moebius is releasing/planning, as those will likely be your source for oddball subjects. We've been through the "why don't they make a (insert subject not popular with the general modelling public)?" topic often here, and the answer is almost always the same- kit manufacturers produce what has a history of selling well.

Fortunately Round2 came around and decided to invest some money into older tooling and re-issue kits which haven't seen the light of day in decades. Long term, I don't think this is a great strategy for AMT and MPC as brands, but it seems to be working well now with AMT/MPC only re-issuing kits, so let's wait and see how it pans out when Round2's lease agreement ends.

Does it list the Chevy powered Buick Electras and Cadillac DeVilles for export EEC? Does it list the cars that were built in Switzerland and Antwerp? Does it list the Dodge Spirit come Chrysler Saratoga? Does it list the Chrysler Voyager, Chrysler Daytona, Chrysler Laser?

I can't say for sure that this site lists every single car model ever made, but it does look pretty comprehensive, and the car you speak of isn't listed here. Seems like the most likely possibility is the car you bought was some sort of aftermarket conversion and not a factory car.

I can't say for sure that this site lists every single car model ever made, but it does look pretty comprehensive, and the car you speak of isn't listed here. Seems like the most likely possibility is the car you bought was some sort of aftermarket conversion and not a factory car.

What about the 87 Thunderbirds with the six cylinder BMW Turbodiesels sold in Germany?

What about the 87 Thunderbirds with the six cylinder BMW Turbodiesels sold in Germany?

Ford sold the Lincoln Mk VII with the BMW Turbodiesel in the US briefly. Again, though, were those Thunderbirds in Germany sold through Ford dealers there or gray market imports?