Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's my problem?

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Modeling Q&A...

Alright, on to the topic.

I just can't finish a build! I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I paint all my parts, and assemble them as I go. Then after getting mad and boxing it, I only come back to find the same problem. It's a dumb question I know, it's just really bothering me. :(

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Modeling Q&A...

Alright, on to the topic.

I just can't finish a build! I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I paint all my parts, and assemble them as I go. Then after getting mad and boxing it, I only come back to find the same problem. It's a dumb question I know, it's just really bothering me. :(

had that happen with a 32 a month ago i ran into soo many headaches that it drained the motivation out of me and before i dragged me into a funk i stuffed it back in the box and will be making its way onto the ebay chopping block

Here's where my battle lies:

I want a finished model

I want a perfect model

I have not been able to do both.

There is a saying - "Perfect is the enemy of good enough"

So, I would ask you - who are you building for and why? I would look at the reason you aren't finishing a kit and ask yourself some questions. Does it really need to be perfect? Does it need to be super detailed? Are you building it for yourself or for others to judge? I have found I prefer finished models to perfect ones and I work through and around the challenges of each build. I still haven't finished them all, but I make a concerted effort to try.

Good luck!

If your looking to build a perfect model it will never happen.

If you loose your temper real easy you need to work on that all the way around in your life.

It realy is bad for your health,and can get you in trouble.

As for progress I scratch build a lot and at the end of the day there dos'nt seem to be a lot done sometime's.

But then again your one step closer to the finished build.

I kept a record of a build one time it involved a lot of scratch building.

Talk about a progress problem.

As for the anger issue step away calm down and get back to it.

230 piece's to make the part's for the car.

260 Hrs to build the car and that's not counting the time for research and keeping record's.

This is a hobby to help you relax not beat yourself up.

Take a kit paint it,build it,regardless of somthing not being right and don't worry about it.

And most important build for yourself not anyone else.

dodge deora hunting camper

75 dart sport

custom trike

viper ratrod

aerovette

joe dirt charger

daf 95 space cab with car hauler trailer

depthcharger

hotwheels GTX

just a quick list of the top of my head of models that i am "working on" and need to finish, dont worry, you are in good company

Your best bet is to keep the boxed kit ON the workbench. That way it's not out of sight, out of mind. This way you're always kicking that problem around in the back of your mind. Eventually you'll figure out a fix and get back to it with renewed enthusiasm.

Here's where my battle lies:

I want a finished model

I want a perfect model

I have not been able to do both.

There is a saying - "Perfect is the enemy of good enough"

So, I would ask you - who are you building for and why? I would look at the reason you aren't finishing a kit and ask yourself some questions. Does it really need to be perfect? Does it need to be super detailed? Are you building it for yourself or for others to judge? I have found I prefer finished models to perfect ones and I work through and around the challenges of each build. I still haven't finished them all, but I make a concerted effort to try.Good luck!

This is an EXCELLENT point. My 18 year old son struggles with this big time. He compares his work to mine and thusly takes on some seriously advanced projects. Then he gets pissed when there are problems. He has a load of nearly-builts because one or more things were'nt perfect. It doesn't help that he's competing against adults now in contests either. I truly believe that at some point you need to just come to grips with the fact that "this model just isn't going to be perfect, but I learned a lot building it" and finish the darn thing.

There's a fella here who has a very wise saying in his signiture line. "Every model I build is just practice for the next one."

For me it depends on why I'm building the model. Some projects I use as a learning process, to help me advance my craft, on those it doesn't matter if it takes several years. Take my Shelby 427 Street Cobra, So far it has taken me several years of building time but in the process I've learned how to;

IMG_2614-vi.jpg

1. Resin cast

2. Form body panels from aluminium sheet

3. Open molded in vent details,

4. scratchbuild wheels

5. and now I'm learning how to photoetch small parts.

Then there are projects where I limit the build to things I already know how to do :

1967 AC289, Took two weeks.

IMG_0128-vi.jpg

1967 Corvette, Took two weeks

IMG_0861-vi.jpg

Barely 'Cuda, 8 Months

IMG_0111-vi.jpg

1961 Falcon, 2 Days.

IMG_1650-vi.jpg

The point I'm trying to make is there is no shame in making it easy on yourself. Try just painting and assembling a model with no detailing just to get one done, then move on from there. But if you do push yourself, treat each step as a model pf it's own. With my Cobra model, I see each new challenge as a chance to take it to the next level, and learning that new skill is like completing something new.

Your not alone Andy.

It can be very demoralising when stuff goes wrong and you feel there's time wasted or a KIT/build ruined.

We'd all like to have the Maturity to say, "THAT'S ok I know what I did wrong and know how to fix it".

I too struggle with body painting.

Nicely said Darin. You make the venture sound like a natural progression through experience which I'm sure plenty of the Better modellers will totally understand. the cold truth is YOU have to do It YOURSELF, get it wrong..fix it..start another etc etc. it's just so disheartening.

I always have a number of projects going at the same time, if I get burned out on one I'll work on something else and come back to it later with fresh eyes.

Rather than drag everything out to paint a single car.....on the days I feel like painting I may do several. This allows me to set the painted bodies aside and allow plenty of drying time.

Some days I just sand and prime projects or build engines for cars in progress, this way I never get "bored" with a single project.

I keep all the parts I'm using for a single build in the box they came in so as not to misplace anything or use a part on a another build. Occasionally I'll disassemble a partially finished model for parts and consider it having been a learning build.

What all this amounts to is that it allows me to rationalize myself out of the unfinished model syndrome....none of them are unfinished, they are simply in progress...LOL.

You will most likely never get a perfect model in your own eyes. You will always know what is wrong.

My models come out pretty good, in my eyes. My wife and others always tell me they look as good as ones in magazines. I highly disagree.

I consider myself pretty fair at box stock or kit bashing as long as I stay with plastic. I am not good at all with Photo Edge and find resin difficult.

I am just now starting to experiment with scratch building.

It sounds like I am putting myself down, but I'm not.

I have a couple of suggestions for you:

1. If you can afford it, get an air compressor and good airbrush. You will be amazed at how much better your paint jobs come out.

2. Look into some TAMIYA kits. They are more expensive, yes, for a very good reason. HIGH QUALITY. Things fit like they should and requires a minimal amount of glue. They will usually come out good.

I am working on a 1/16 Tommy Ivo front engine dragster. I have already spent numerous hours on just getting the body panels straight. Some things just take time.

Do not compare yourself to what see other guys here doing.They are amazing. If you do, you will most likely give up. But, you can learn from these builders.

It should be fun after all.

There is something special about seeing something you just finished building. After that, you have to keep dusting it...LOL

Good Luck

Thanks everyone. Yes, I guess I do set my expectations way too high for my skill level... =\ Another problem is that I can't get paint whenever I need it (too young to order off the internet). I wish we had a hobby shop around here....

EDIT-David, I've been looking into an airbrush. I was going to get a cheap $15 one from Harbor Freight and get a trap for our air compressor that's already set up. I put the Tamiya McLaren M8A on my Christmas list, I figured it was time to give Tamiya a go.

EDIT #2-One of the things that boggles me is people building very fast and still doing a great job while they're at it. Someone like Tyrone, for example.

Edited by Andy C.

I'm lucky if I finish one a year. I'm a perfectionist and at times, it's almost like a disease or a curse. There are many times when I miss the simplicity of what it was like to build models when I was a kid. Sure, I wanted it to look good and I wanted to sharpen my skills so I could build like the guys in the magazines and the model car shows but, it was sure fun to build a model from start to finish in a day or two. And although, it might be theraputic to slap one together in a weekend, I wouldn't allow it on my shelf. It would probably end up in the trash or the parts box.

I'm lucky if I finish one a year. I'm a perfectionist and at times, it's almost like a disease or a curse. There are many times when I miss the simplicity of what it was like to build models when I was a kid. Sure, I wanted it to look good and I wanted to sharpen my skills so I could build like the guys in the magazines and the model car shows but, it was sure fun to build a model from start to finish in a day or two. And although, it might be theraputic to slap one together in a weekend, I wouldn't allow it on my shelf. It would probably end up in the trash or the parts box.

Exactly.

If I get bogged down in a build, I have usually put it aside...mostly in a pile near the bench...sometimes for many years. Some do get finished eventually - I finished a Baldwin Motion Camaro that was approx. 18 years in the making and probably sat for the better part of ten plus years before I finished it finally last year. I find sometimes it takes finishing a quick build to get the creative juices flowing. A prefinished curbside for example. A low parts count snap kit. Some other subject, like a ship, plane or sci-fi build. Maybe I work on some details on my garage diorama...just something else to help the skills, build up confidence again, get the excitement and enjoyment back and actually get something finished to put on the shelf. I have probably 5-7 builds that are started at this point with many more ready to start at anytime. I'm now trying make a concerted effort to finish those off before starting another build. I've got a 92 NASCAR T-Bird on the bench now (#7 Kulwicki Hooters) that I started about 1993/94 or so...I recently finished a Dodge A-100 van build that was started several years ago, just as a couple of examples.

I guess my message is...there is nothing wrong with you. It is all part of this hobby we all love and sometimes we need to refocus and readjust based on ourselves. The best message is, no matter what, always do your best to HAVE FUN with the HOBBY! :)

When I start a model I highlight each area on the instructions that I had problems with a prior models. This way when I come up to step

number 9, which might be installing a windshield, I know to be extra careful in that area. I also keep a small list of problems I have from all my builds, and I'll refer to that list for each new build. Lately I've been building very easy models just so I can practice perfect my skills. Once I feel that my skills are improved ill start building nicer, harder to build cars. And there's nothing wrong with boxing the car up starting it again at a later date.

There is another model building forum where one of the mottos is "The goal is completion and NOT perfection." I am trying to adopt that as my mantra otherwise I get frustrated with little things and get nothing built. Working on the 48 Ford coupe and I keep repeating this to myself as I go so that I may get a model completed sometime in the next year.

You can never build a perfect model,Period. Those that think they can are in la la land, Even pro builders have flaws in builds. Look at some of the box art models , Filled with flaws, And photoshopped. No one is perfect. And at your age you're still learning, My models I built when I was your age looked terrible, Your skill will progress with time, Paint your parts, and put the model together,Do that for I would say for your first 5-6 builds, Then try moving on to detailing , Like with Bare Metal Foil, Black washing the grills, And other details, And Always have a plan of attack before you even start to open the box up.And take your time!

No Andy , we all have builds like that, I realize money or age maybe an issue to get some of the things you want (modelling wise) but just shelve it for a couple of weeks and move onto the next and keep looking at it trying to sort out the problem. I have projects that are years old shelved (but in constant eye sight) that get dragged out every so often so I can re assess the problem. I could probably find a dozen flaws in each of my completed builds or at least things I thought I could have done better on, but as some one has already quoted " Each model is merely practice for the next").

Don't sweat stuff, Don't compare stuff, Have FUN. If you compare your builds (or anything else in life) to what you perceive others to have , you are setting yourself up to a life of misery and a hobby you will never really enjoy. We will never really know the issues others have with their builds as we don't have their skill set, what they may find tricky might just be easier for us to do. Who Knows. Have the desire and drive to do better but most of all have fun.