Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pearly Hue Merc

doomcrew

time for another project. this time it's a resin bodied (jimmy flintstone) 1939 matranga merc. this will have an amt 40 ford coupe chassis, a flathead from the new 48 ford coupe kit, inc the front and rear ends and drum brakes. tyres will be from the revell 49 merc kit. first off, i had to cut open the bonnet. this wasn't going to be easy, as there is quite a bit of material to be removed from the ahem, firewall and inner wheel wells. i started to use my dremel with the saw wheel, and...............OUCH!! the saw snatched and caught the base of my thumb. after a ticking off and lots of finger wagging from my better half, i got on with the task and removed the bonnet along with the doors. these will open suicide style. the paint will be white base with crystal blue flip flop flake over the top. i have removed most of the original floor including the area with the moulded in exhaust pipe.

DSCF0151.jpg

DSCF0153.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

thankfully my hand/thumb has healed and i have managed to work on the merc a bit more. next time i'll wear steel gauntlets. lol

as you can see from the pics, i had to correct some gap issues with the bonnet and doors, and to do this i glued strips of plastic to the areas concerned. after drying and the application of body filler, i sanded the areas, checking the gaps as i went. the firewall and the inner wheel arches have been put in and i now have to work out the door hinges, as i have to consider the thickness of the resin.

DSCF0423.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0428.jpg

DSCF0427.jpg

DSCF0426.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

steve

well i have the hinges sorted, and fingers crossed they should work as i have tested them plenty of times. i have also decided on tunneled rear bullet lights, so it was out with my dremel again, being careful in not carving anything into my hand again,

(note the fresh scar on my hand). paint will be white with a pearl flip flop metalflake (blue to purple).

DSCF0431.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

DSCF0432.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

made some more progress on the merc. this is the mock up ride height, i dont know if i can get it any lower as the suspension travel will be at a minimum as will the tyre clearance. the chassis has been given new floor panels and the bumper brackets will be lengthened. these are the magnets that will be used for the doors and bonnet, and you can see the holes already drilled for them. the 48 ford radiator was cut down to clear the bonnet and the engine mounts were extended.

DSCF0442.jpg

DSCF0444.jpg

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0450.jpg

started doing the interior panels and decided on tuck n roll but haven't decided on what type of seats to use in the front, bench or seperate. the interior tub is scratchbuilt from sheet stock with half rounds used for the tuck n roll. the body is now in first stage primer, ready to be sanded back.

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0452.jpg

DSCF0453.jpg

DSCF0457.jpg

DSCF0454.jpg

DSCF0458.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

some more updates, and got a chance to use my new airbrush. i put a gloss black base coat on the front and rear axles, and on the front and rear interior window frames. the black will be the base for alclad chrome. i used matt white for the panels and the slightly modified 53 studebaker seats. i will rub the surface of the paint to simulate vinyl.

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0460.jpg

DSCF0463.jpg

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg