Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just your basic chopped Deuce 3-window hi-boy - Completed 12/30

Bernard Kron

To finish the year off I thought I’d get back to basics and do a simple build based on the Revell Deuce 3-window (which, incidentally, has just been re-released under the Monogram brand). I’ll try to keep the changes to a minimum while still adding some interest to this venerable old kit.

The chassis and motor will remain close to the kit specs, primarily attending to the stance by trimming down the front spring to give the car a bit more rake, and adding some cool Ansen valve covers and dual 4-barrel Holleys to the small block Ford, both courtesy of Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland.

The body received a scale 3 ¾ inch chop and a neat louvered hood from Drag City Casting (see http://public.fotki....-city-casting-/ ). I went back and forth on whether to go full-fendered or highboy, but the moment I popped the body on the frame to check the stance it was settled. With the chop the car takes on a tough, purposeful look as a highboy that is missing once you tack on the fenders. As a result I’m going with Firestone dirt-track rear tires (again from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland) with AMT Firestones on the front, both on AMT ’36 Ford rims. I just couldn’t bring myself to go with the kit Torq-Thrusts and modern radials once I set the stance and overall look. Without fenders those fat fronts have nowhere to hide!

Otherwise the build will be pretty much out-of-the-box with the goal of getting it done before the New Year…

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

DSCF8851-web.jpg

DSCF8847-web.jpg

DSCF8831-web.jpg

DSCF8838-web.jpg

DSCF8826-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Another Old School Style Hot Rod! B) Great to see that someone builds these Traditional Hot Rods and Customs too, great looking start. That chopped top is just perfect, and hood fits nicely to the look. Thanks for sharing, I will be watching this one!

Thanx everyone! The kind words are much appreciated.

Here's an update. I'm still shooting for a 12/31 completion but boy has this one ever been fighting me. It's starting to get cold up here in the PNW and it cost me the initial paint job and required a visit to the Purple Pond. While re-sanding and polishing the body one of the A pillars broke out (I made two cuts to get the wedge-shaped piece needed for the lakes-style chop). If I get this one done in time it'll be the culmination of a fierce battle with the fates!

Anyway, here's a mock-up with Modelhaus 100's and 180's for the 50's whitewall look. I'm also considering deep-dish AMT chrome baby moons with whitewalls for a late 50's-early 60's look. I'm also not sure about the louvered hood, and have an unlouvered version waiting in the wings just in case. Still pretty rough but making progress…

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF8856-web.jpg

DSCF8860-web.jpg

DSCF8861-web.jpg

DSCF8866-web.jpg

DSCF8865-web.jpg

Thanks guys!

Here`are some quick workbench snaps. The engine is finished and the chassis is nearing completion. The Replica's & Miniatures Co. of Maryland Holley 4-barrel setup along with their Ansen valve covers really changes the look of the kit motor. The rear end is now locked in and caused a slight lowering when compared to earlier pics. The firewall is modified from the AMT Phantom Vicky and finished in Duplicolor Wimbledon White.

I've also settled on the final wheel/tire combo. It has resulted in a further evolution of the look of this build, setting it in the early 60's with a more polished look than it had with the body color '36 Ford wheels and, in the first mockups, with the blackwalls. The tires are Modelhaus T-100C's at the front and T-180C's at the rear. The front wheels are from the AMT '29 Ford Roadster kit, and the rear wheels are from my parts box but appear to be from a variant of the AMT '53 Ford pickup. They're a little deeper than the fronts.

No more major decisions to be made, just a lot of final assembly work...

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF8876-web.jpg

DSCF8872-web.jpg

DSCF8878-web.jpg

Looking great as usual Bernard! Just checking in to see what you are up to. "Challenger" the 1/1 red '29 Ford Hot Rod is doing better than ever, just rebuilt the top half of the engine. Right now the 4 piece aluminum hood is off, but it will be back on as soon as I clean-up the steering box that looks horrible compared to the rest of the engine bay. Folks say leave the hood off but it just wouldn't be the DEUCE OF SPADES rival's car if I did. I replaced the deep dish rims you saw in the film and put 1950's era 15 Ford Rims on the front and 1940's era 16" Merc rims in the back. Hubcaps are now era correct '47-'48 Ford. So the 1/1 car is running and looking better than ever. Anyways, keep up the fine work and great attention to detail. I love what all of you are doing here at Model Cars Mag. Reminds me so much of my days growing up in the Fifties & early Sixties! -Jerry:>)

Edited by Challenger29

Thanx everyone!

Great to hear from you, Jerry. Nice to see that The Challenger is getting some TLC. Just don;'t mess with it's basic vibe. It is iconic!!!!

I've got this one just about wrapped up. Just some minor details and cleanup and she'll be ready for the "beauty shots". I have to be able to post Under Glass tomorrow night. In the meantime here's an old-time sepia tone snapshot without the hood and a picture of the car that inspired the build, even though I wasn't aware of it until just a little while ago. I had started this thing intending to build a full-fendered coupe. It couldn't be any farther from my first ideas. I kept wondering what was drawing me to this type of result. Then I saw it over in the corner of my work room. It's part of a picture from an old TRJ promotion mailer that I cutout and have had hanging on my bulletin board for at least 3 years!

Anyway, thanx to everyone for following along!

B.

workbench-final-sepia-2-web.jpg

Inspiration-web.jpg