Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Year's Resolution

Let's put this simple request into a bigger scope. You are after your dream job,the employer has a mandatory drug test.It does not matter whether you do drugs or not.You refuse to take the test.No job for you,even though you might have been laid off for more than a year.

Nobody here... that I know of, to say the least... gets to choose in life which rules he/she will follow... without consequence. Once you get into a question of disagreeing with (most/all) rules, you just set yourself up for a fall.

It's very simple- follow the rules or you don't get to be a member here. There should be no need for warnings, but some people get off on not following the rules and/or testing the limits of the rules. If you think you're special and don't need to follow the forum rules, fine. Find another forum. Gregg has been way too nice IMHO in handing out warnings and tolerating the button pushing of some members. The forum will go on and be better off without them. Twocents.gif

And... on that note, what about the 'questionable' names? Sure, they could share the same name as a famous or well known person, but when their whole persona follows suit, i.e.: avatar, location, etc... using the "celebrity" ID, it is easy to question the validity.

I don't know who Bill is.

You deserve a more serious answer than my original comment. "Mr. Obsessive" is Bill Geary, a well respected and well known member of the modeling community. He has built some impressive models, and these models have won many awards, as well as being featured in the print publications, as well as on-line hobby media.

I don't know who Bill is.

That's because you're still fairly new here. Stick around... you'll find out who he is. (BTW... he's one of the best builders we have around here, in my opinion).

In fact, the longer you stay, the more talented people you'll get to know. We have some really talented people here.

Maybe MBL was on AMW a few weeks ago.

-MJS

You'll have to tell me what "AMW" is. I'm sure it's not something nice.... but I'm curious never the less. :D

Some of you have pointed out that my name is still not present. Hmmmm... I thought I had changed it but obviously not. I'll try again. In the meantime, my name is Michael Lawrence. I am a golf professional who lives in Virginia. I am not paranoid or the type of person who gets off not following rules. I have no problem following the rule or anyone knowing who I am. I just can't imagine why anyone on this site would give two dangs about who I am.

Edited by mbl4321

Although I still use my screen name, my given name has always been on my sig line. Have concidered following the trend and just using my name instead but I do agree with Andy that it feels good when I am responded to by others and they call me Jeff. Greetings Michael and welcome to the MCM family.

I've complied to this rule ,yet it still baffles me. I cannot see the Benefit in providing a name.

Any valid Benefit would suffice.

Don't want to go down the Childish ...... "if ye don't like it ..get outa my sand box".

Just a matural question......W H Y ?

When i provided mine , I ended up having to provide an explanition of it's origins.

Hence ,my orignal reason for using a "Username". EVERYWHERE else. ( 6 other modelling forums and 12 Automotive Forums)

So...is Boreham your full name, like Cher or Liberace?

One thing that I like about the real name thing is when some get together in person off the board...like at a show. I've met some of the fellas on this board at NNL East by recognizing a name tag they've worn at a show. Or by passing conversations at a show. I like to wear a nametag at a show if I have one just so other guys who I "talk" with on this forum and others might recognize my name and strike up a conversation with me. Modeling is a highly solitary endeavor as we all know. There are basically only 3 ways we get any kind of social interaction from this hobby....1. you belong to a club and attend meetings. 2...you go to a show where there are other like minded folks. And 3...a forum like this one. Not using real names makes a forum so very impersonal. Using a real name on this forum makes it feel more like we actually know each other. I know that impression can be totally false since you may never actually meet another forum member in person...or the member may be using a totally false persona...but it still has a better, more personal feel to the forum experience.

I changed my display name to my real name as well - it felt like I was trying to have some sort of weird nickname with a different display name, especially when people would call me that in a post. I am sure there are reasons why some people would not want to have there real or full name displayed - but I prefer to know someone's real name and I don't mind sharing my own. If it helps members act more civil I think it is a reasonable request - whether or not it actually does, I don't know.

Thanks for taking on the responsibility of moderator, though, Harry.

I changed my display name to my real name as well - it felt like I was trying to have some sort of weird nickname with a different display name, especially when people would call me that in a post. I am sure there are reasons why some people would not want to have there real or full name displayed - but I prefer to know someone's real name and I don't mind sharing my own. If it helps members act more civil I think it is a reasonable request - whether or not it actually does, I don't know.

Thanks for taking on the responsibility of moderator, though, Harry.

And thank you for not being one of those people who goes out of his way to make moderating this place any harder than it has to be.

You'll have to tell me what "AMW" is. I'm sure it's not something nice.... but I'm curious never the less. :D

Some of you have pointed out that my name is still not present. Hmmmm... I thought I had changed it but obviously not. I'll try again. In the meantime, my name is Michael Lawrence. I am a golf professional who lives in Virginia. I am not paranoid or the type of person who gets off not following rules. I have no problem following the rule or anyone knowing who I am. I just can't imagine why anyone on this site would give two dangs about who I am.

Michael! Glad you're here! Hey, I've got this problem with my swing...I just can't follow thru :lol: Just kidding, I've never played golf before in my life...

Maybe this is why Michael didn't want his name be known...golf advice!

Welcome Michael! B)

I fully agree with giving your name. So much so that when our VW club was putting together a forum, I insisted that we do it there also. I like being referred to as "Greg" not "gpugh1976".

You can change your display name - gpugh1976 - to Greg Pugh in your profile - I didn't like being called my display name either.