Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 `65 Shelby Mustang Cobra GT350 Finished!

Hawk312

I can officially call this finished now, and finally. I started this back last July, starting from the Road and Track Revell kits from the `80`s. The kit took alot, and I mean ALOT, of work to get it to this point. I made alot of modifications to the body to try to get it to a convincing shape. If I had more time, I would`ve done even more with the roof line and A pillars. The suspension was lowered probably about 4-5 scale inches in the front, and about 2 or 3 in the back. The tires are the "skinnies" from the Corvette/Camaro Revell kit. I also needed to add alot of details that you wouldn`t expect. For instance, there was no radiator hose connecting the radiator to the engine. :confused:

Let me know what you think.

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished6.jpg

finished54.jpg

engine.jpg

withstripes2.jpg

Another beauty from you. As usual, the paint is flawless!

Ditto. Unfortunately, you may have done a disservice to other modelers who didn't see your challenges with fixing this very flawed kit, and who may think it could be a good build. :mellow:

Just kidding (sort of) but this is a grand slam home run.

Edited by sjordan2

I agree, this is an awesome build. I would love to have a real GT350 in my driveway!

The pic of the car sitting on that table, not sure what it is on, but that looks like a scale parking lot with cracks filled with Tar. Much better than the pic with the car sitting on the 1:1 blacktop. Looks out of scale, if you can photoshop that one pic and get rid of the chair you should put that pic in the "Is it Real or a Model" section.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yeah this kit was definitely very difficult. I actually had to fill and block sand this one pretty aggressively to get all the bumps and ridges out.

The buyer also asked for hood pins, so I fabricated something quick:

withhoodpins.jpg

withhoodpins2.jpg

Hi david (and all);

I'm new to this forum, but have been building for over 50 years. I was particularly interested in this GT-350 because I have 3 of them sitting on a shelf with a "plan" to make two of them into the Camee and Christee Edelbrock sister's racing versions from years ago. I also restored and own a concourse 1966 Mustang GT convertible (factory) so I have quite a bit of research material and experience with the construction of the early Mustangs.

I really appreciate the effort put into this model because Revell did a pretty poor job on the panels and some other details. I suspect it was just a retool of the old Bandai/Renwal kit from the 1960's. I hope I ever get to really working on the Edelbrock versions, but of course they will need the race front end rather than the chrome bumper. Until I have that there's not much point in starting. I will include a link to my Fotki website if you want to look at the Mustang pics or other 1:1 cars I have or have had for reference...or at the models have.

But to one of the points of this post: I think this is a very, very nice build for sure. There is, however, one rather glaring mistake, and I think it is the fault of Revell or whoever issued the original insructions ( pulled them out and affirmed this). The radiator on all those Mustangs sits behind the radiator support, and not between the support and the grill. I'm not sure if this one could be moved now, but for future reference it should be placed behind. I'll try to post a pic if I can figure it out. Not trying to bust chops here...just trying for accuracy.

PA280134-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And a GT-350:

DSCN4288vi-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Cheers. http://public.fotki.com/dallas916/

Edited by deja-view

David...and all others who build this model;

There is another error in the kit that should be corrected as you build: the GT series Mustangs with front disc brakes (Shelby or not) all had a larger, flat-topped master brake cylinder/reservoir. They did NOT have power brakes, and therefore would not have a vacuum booster. It is just one of the proper things to verify when looking at any Mustang claiming to be a real factory GT. I suspect this kit was adopted from the mid-sixties Renwal/Bandai kits of the NON-GT Mustang fastback. Without checking I don't believe any power brake option was available on these early Mustangs, and came into play on the Thunderbirds before the Mustang. But still, power DISC brakes were not available....and of course, ALL GT Mustangs had disc brakes up front. FYI: they really don't work all that well. The Mustang could get up and go, but didn't stop very well.

This is the correct brake line routing (with distribution block) for GT Mustangs: enginecompartment1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the flat cap that is a quick giveaway to the disc brake reservoir:

000painterblaster9991-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And, here's the correct control arm/spring/brake line/shield/spindle detail at the wheel:

suspensionL_F_2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

With the brake rotor/hub assembly in place. Note the pwer steering rack to the upper right of the shield:

brakesL_F_new1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view

THE HISTORY OF THIS KIT BEGAN AS THE MOLDED GREEN RENWALL KIT(BODY IS PROBABLY FROM THE BANDAI VERSION)THAT WAS A STOCK GT. THEN REVELL BOUGHT THE RENWALL TOOLING. IT CAME OUT AS THE YELLOW GT VERSION FROM REVELL. THEN WAS MODIFIED INTO THE GT350 VERSION SHOWN HERE!!

Yep! Here it is:

MustangGT1-12.png

That's the culprit. Doncha love the door fit. We can see how much it took to get your GT-350 so straight.

If this kit had the styled steel wheels that came with many of the real GT's I'd get one for the parts to convert another 1/12 ERTL convertible to a GT.

• 1 month later...

Wow...very nicely done! I had that kit as a kid. I think it was my first larger scale kit. It is definately a kit for the more experienced builder. I was able to, with my limited skills at the time, get the door windows to roll up and down. The only thing(s) I have left from that model now are the tires.

Great build!!!!!!! I saw this kit and the shape did not impress me. What you did to this kit, is make it look real, not a toy.I am very impressed with the build. I just sold my GT 350 just last year. Had the car since 1971. Wanted something different but cannot find anything that excites me yet.That car was just fun. I have drove the new GT 500 and it is alot faster but not as fun.The GT 350 just has alot of soul. As a former owner of a GT 350 your car has alot of soul!!!Did i mention this was a great build?

David i absolutly love this build, but I do have a question (and im not sure if its already answered) but did the actual car come with a more aggressive rear tire or were they skinnies like this? The reason I ask is because when i was a kid my mom owned one and i thought I remembered wide tires on her car (i could be totally wrong as I was very young)

Regards Romell

Thanks again everyone!

David i absolutly love this build, but I do have a question (and im not sure if its already answered) but did the actual car come with a more aggressive rear tire or were they skinnies like this? The reason I ask is because when i was a kid my mom owned one and i thought I remembered wide tires on her car (i could be totally wrong as I was very young)

Regards Romell

In most of my reference pictures, the tires were about twice as wide as the ones on this build. I am assuming that they had the original size tires? The buyer sent me about 50 pictures and he was really exact on what he wanted. He actually restores 1:1 cars, so I am guessing the pics he sent me were of accurate restorations.

I think the kits tires were *really* wide, even wider than the slicks from the Camaro/Corvette/`57 Chevy kits, and just looked blocky and out of scale.

• 3 months later...