Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what do you do with your empty model boxes?

So last night while watching the paint dry on a model, I got to thinking.

Some of the box art on these models is actually kind of cool. I am contemplating the idea of cutting the lids off the boxes that are "cool" and putting them up like posters on my wall.

Would this be considered something that you would do or is this just weird?

I have considered doing the same with some of the boxes I have. Cutting them out and hanging them out, maybe framing them and hanging them on the wall takes up far less space than keeping them. I used to keep all of my old model boxes but now I chuck (recycle) them. I just don't have the room for them anymore.

Nothing weird about displaying the boxes at all. Many times the box art is better than what's inside the box. I mean who would buy this kit for what's inside?

lindycuda.jpg

Not me, but I did buy it for the great box art. :D Some of my other favorites:

IMG_5991-1.jpg

LittleDeuce.jpg

FordAutoTRansport1.jpg

Revell57CountrySquire.jpg

116revellchevy4x4pickup.jpg

I use the old boxes for storage but the cool or old ones I use for wallpaper....you take the bottom and push a push pin through the bottom into the wall and simply place the cover over it.

I just got tired of moving them so used the tops (unfolded) and covered 3/4 of a wall in the garage of a house we were rehabing with the intent of staying there.

Well we didn't stay past 5 years but that wall ended up being the selling point for the couple that bought the house!

Well at least for the husband!!! :lol:

In the past 10 years I've moved about 8 times. My fiancee and I plan on staying in our current home for a while (if it works out) so up until now I've needed my old model boxes to put my built models in to move them. I have a shed right now and all the empty boxes are stored in there. If we do end up staying here long-term I might look into doing something with the empties. For now, though, they still serve a purpose!

In the past 10 years I've moved about 8 times. My fiancee and I plan on staying in our current home for a while (if it works out) so up until now I've needed my old model boxes to put my built models in to move them. I have a shed right now and all the empty boxes are stored in there. If we do end up staying here long-term I might look into doing something with the empties. For now, though, they still serve a purpose!

Thats why I keep some of mine, and with having to move in the next year, I am going to keep as many as I can. I need to do some math an figure out just how many to keep ;)

I had a bunch of the old 3-1 kit boxes, kind of fun to go to a contest with a vintage box. But alas they got wet last year, and are now history. I've used record albums for wall art, so framing them is a good idea. Sometimes you can sell the box for more than the kit it contained.