Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting Started

As I get back into doing scale models again and at a more advanced level and interest than my childhood years, I start to wonder what "tools of the trade" should I have on my bench? So my question here is, what are some tools/products/recommendations do you have/find usefull and maybe could not live without but would recommend any noob to also have on his bench?

I learned real quick Testors paint not nearly as good as Tamiya paint. I bought a couple bottles for my Ferarri and I am loving it in comparison to Testors.

Thanks for all the help.

Any basic set of modeling equipment would include:

• X-acto knife

• Razor saw

• A selection of files in several shapes (flat, rat-tail, etc.)

• Sandpaper in various grits from coarse to very fine, maybe sanding sticks too

• A selection of glues (regular tube glue, 5-minute epoxy, CA (crazy glue), liquid styrene cement, white glue, etc.

• Pin vise and selection of drill bits

• Sprue cutter

• Paint brushes in various sizes

• A bunch of small spring clamps

Of course, everyone has their own personal preferences, but the above items are pretty much "must haves."

Those basics will get you started. As time and your wallet allow, you might want to add:

• A Dremel tool and selection of grinding, cutting, drilling and shaping bits (if you only buy one power tool, I'd say it should be a Dremel

• Bare Metal Foil to do "chrome" trim

• A food dehydrator (painted parts will dry much faster in there than if left to dry "naturally"

• A polishing kit to polish painted bodies to a smooth and shiny finish

• A spray booth/exhaust fan setup to allow spraying indoors

Down the road a bit, you might want to get into airbrushing, resin casting, or machining your own custom parts. Many guys, however, never get into those areas. Some guys see an airbrush as "essential," some guys never use them. And resin casting and machining parts are pretty much an art all their own.

Very nice list. Thank you very much for pointing these things out. Some of them I never would have thought of. So far this is what I do have. :)

• X-acto knife - a set of different types of blades

• Sandpaper in various grits - So far I just got 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000

• A selection of glues - I do have a CA glue for my foam RC glider and Testors model glue

• Paint brushes in various sizes - My collection just started at a realy fine tiped brush and a few normal Testors brushes. But the step son has a few others that we have used of different lengths and widths.

• A Dremel tool and selection of grinding, cutting, drilling and shaping bits - I do have two of these and both are not adjustable speed but do 30,000RPM or something crazy so I may need to get one thats a bit cheaper model and can do lower speeds so I dont melt the plast, which it will and has done to other projects...lol

• Bare Metal Foil to do "chrome" trim - I have worked with this stuff in the past and actually will have to get some to show my step son how to chrome around the windows.

• A food dehydrator - OOOOOH BOY. Last year I got a new Excalibur dehydrator and its amazing. It makes great deer jerkry also. ;)

• A polishing kit to polish painted bodies to a smooth and shiny finish - any kits you recommend?

• A spray booth/exhaust fan setup to allow spraying indoors - Something I am working on. Deciding on either building one for cheap or just getting any ol manufactured one that I can afford (preferably under $100 or not to much over)

Im actually looking at getting a Badger Model 200. I may be doing some camo jobs for airsoft guns and either using some kind of auto paint and or Duracoat. So thats why im already looking at airbrushes. But will come in HUGE with models.

An adjustable speed Dremel is definitely the way to go. I use a foot-pedal operated speed control where you plug the Dremel into it, then plug the speed control unit into the wall. Since the speed is controlled by the foot pedal, I just leave my Dremel (which is an adjustable-speed model) set at the highest speed and then control the actual speed with the pedal. This way I can adjust the speed while I'm using the Dremel.

http://www.amazon.com/MOTO-TOOL-PEDAL-power-tools/dp/B000P4E412

That's already a great start up list. If you want a quick and wonderful painting stand, you can go the Donn Yost route and get a pip nipple and I use the 87 cent flange that screws into it. Some tape and you are good to go.

BTW--Welcome back to the hobby and WELCOME TO THE BEST AND MOST FUN FORUM!

I have considered the Donn Yost DVD's just havent found them yet and I have been watching Dr. Crankys videos on his you tube channel and I have to say doc, you have inspired me to take this at a much more serious, artistic, and fun level that I have never been. You really opened up a huge door for me and seeing all your work. I cant wait to get some styrene and the 32' ford to make a rust bucket rat rod. :) Thank you for your contributions to the community and really showing what can be done with scale models. Not to mention drawing guys like me back into the hobby even after 20 years of dormancy.

thank the rest of you for the welcomes and the help thus far with helping me getting started.

One important item left off Harry's list is a good respirator for the fumes and dust created when painting, sanding and carving up these models. I would also add some decent modelling putty if you are making any modifications to bodies. Many here have their preferences, I like to use Tamiya putty myself.

Welcome back and be sure to pick up Donn's videos, money well spent and a great reference tool. You can order them at www.oldmansmodels.com

One important item left off Harry's list is a good respirator for the fumes and dust created when painting, sanding and carving up these models.

Good catch, Mike.

Also, good lighting is essential. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just effective. I just got a combination desk lamp/magnifier that uses LEDs instead of typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs. It puts out clean, bright, daylight-type light (not the typical yellowish of incandescents or the bluish tint of typical fluorescents), and puts out ZERO heat. Also the estimated life of the LEDs (there are 94 of them arranged in concentric circles) is estimated at 20 years!

Even if they last only half that long, it was a good investment. Also, another side benefit: LEDs use just a tiny fraction of the electricity that a typical light bulb eats up.

Thanks for the link. I must also put a "CHECK" next to the respirator. I already picked up a 3M mask. Its a two filter style mask and works great with paint vapors. I have been doing a lot of sprypainting involving another one of my million hobbies and I found out I can be fine with Rustolium but as soon as you start spraying that Krylon Fusion, man is that nasty stuff. I got one "hit" of that stuff no knowing it was coming when I first started using the paint and my chest was in pain right away....so lesson learned. ALWAYS WEAR A MASK. :) I also have been considering the Tamiya putty as I know I will be needing it for my rat rod build when I chop the top. That brings up another question. When working in the 1:24 scale models, what are the more common size of Styrene and where does one purchase it? I did take a look at one local hobby shop and didnt see any. Perhaps I need to go to another one.

Im a geek so I know all to much about LED's and will be planing to use those to light up my work space. Thanks for the reminder on that.

Before I forget. Here is just a taste of the workspace to come. I bought this from my wifes clothing store, that she manages, for next to nothing. There is another desk coming and I will stack it ontop of this one but lay it on its back to form three walls Like I have illustrated with the shelves. Then I will be installing 4 shelves on it. All 4 shelves will remain their full 28" but the bottom shelves will be 8.5" deep and the top most shelves will remain their 15" depth. Under the bottom most shelves Im thinking of doing 24" LED light-bars. That should be plenty of light but if not more can be added. :)

IMAG0015-1.jpg

Edited by Crazy8

Welcome! Ain't this fun? It really is. All kinds of great information around here. I've been back into modeling for about a year now after sereral long absences away from it. Can't seem to get enough of this stuff these days. There are worse things I could be doing with my time. Putting together a work bench is a big part of the fun. (Bench seems to be a continued work in progress) At least our tools don't have to come from the Snap-On man. Have fun, be safe

I was thinking....(watch out)..I mentioned I had two dremels which are the same model as eachother but they are not adjustable speed. I was wondering if I could get the flex shaft attachment and then also get the pedal. Can you use a pedal to adjust the speed on a non-adjustable speed model dremel? I mean the pedial is just controlling the voltage going to the dremel or something right? Would it work?

Thanks again.

For styrene materials - sheet, rod, strips, etc. - the most common brands are Evergreen and Plastruct. These are in supply at HobbyTown USA (at least, that's my source). For other bits and pieces and materials, you might find inspiration checking out the diorama and other supplies in the model train section of your hobby shop.

WOW! that place could feed my addiction if I became a Styrene Addict, which I could see happening very easily. ;) Thanks for the info. I will have to stop in one of those this weekend and check them out. I have never been in one before and we do have a few here in MN so I am going to be making a visit. :)

Harry has provided you with an excellent list of tools and supplys. And as your skills and needs grow so will the type of tools and supplys you use. I think we all (old timers or guys who have been building for multiple decades) started out with testers glues and paints. But you will find soo many new helpful supplys now. I have hundreds of tools and supplys I use and just recently (after almost 40 years of building and im almost 45 now) I purchased a milling machine because thats the level of building im into now. dont run out and buy a milling machine but do keep your eyes open for things that will help make the job or project youre working on easier. Soon you'll have a custome collection of tools that fit your building needs. B)

Well its official. I have my list of things I may get this weekend.

First:

Get second desk and power strip from wifes work.

Second:

Go to Menards to get a few things which will include some under cabinet LED lights

Third:

Go to Hobbytown USA and pickup...

*Razor Saw

*Tamiya paints (Maybe)

*Bare Metal Foil

*Assortment of files (Flat, Rat Tail, etc.) Might even keep an eye out for these at Menards

*Sanding Sticks (Are these the same as fingernail files?)

*Pin Vise

*Sprue Cutter

*Spring Clamps (also might be at Menards)

*Cutting mats (I totally forgot about this one)

*Tamiya Putty

That should be good for now to get things started. I will also be sure to post pics of the new hobby bench once it is complete and loaded with tools and a couple models. :)

Thank you guys for all your input and helping me get this together.

Don't buy the Tool Shop brand anything from Menards- it's of very poor quality and not worth buying IMHO. I picked up a nice Craftsman mini file set from Sears a decade ago, and it was served me well. IIRC it was $12-$15 or so.

I wouldn't buy a Dremel and bits just yet, unless you plan to do some serious customizing. It's a $75-$100 investment and I don't think it's necessary for a basic starter set. Ditto for the pin vise and miniature bits to go with it. Nice to have if you plan to do some super detailing and/or drill out kit supplied distributors for spark plug wires, but it's another $20 I don't think you need to spend just yet. A sprue cutter isn't really necessary either, as an X-acto knife can do the same job and more.

I'd suggest you buy a very fine tooth saw blade first, then buy a coarser blade later. I find I use the 45-50 tpi blade far more often than anything coarser, as it leaves a cleaner cut and is easier to control.

I suggest you buy the sanding sticks/fingernail files from Walgreens- much cheaper and they work better than Flex-I-File's sanding sticks.

Buy a quality cutting mat, the largest you can afford.

As Harry suggested, good lighting very important. Ottlites are great, but pricey, but with the current Michael's 50% off coupon, they are much more reasonable.

Edited by Casey

I have to say the couple bucks that a sprue cutter costs is worth the investment, both from an ease and safety standpoint. Cutting things off the sprue with an X-Acto tends to either send them flying, gouge them, or shatter the blade/knock the point off. I like the "scissors" aspect of how sprue cutters work. I sorta ho-hummed the idea for years, then found a set at Hobby Lobby and with a 40% coupon they were like $2. Now it's one of those "Why did I wait all this time to buy these?!?!?!?!" moments.

Can you use a pedal to adjust the speed on a non-adjustable speed model dremel? I mean the pedial is just controlling the voltage going to the dremel or something right? Would it work?

Thanks again.

Yes, it works that way. Think of the pedal as a foot-operated "dimmer switch."

Thank you all again for all the advice. Im sure I could go out and buy all sorts of things but then I would never know if I had watsed my money or not until it was to late. I also have a minor update on the workbench. I went home 3 hours early lastnight be cause some of the guys I work with decided to share whatever they had with me. Well my lovely bride brought home the 2nd desk so that I dont need to waste gas getting it this weekend. So here is what it looks like as of now.

IMAG0020-1.jpg

All I need to do is install the shelves and get some tools/supplies on it and it will be good to go.