Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mothra returns! 1959 Imperial

mr moto

This is the latest progress on the interior. I can see a few detail changes that I want to make but you can get the idea.

IMGP4840.jpg

The carpet is dollhouse stuff. You can get something similar at Hobby Lobby but I had to find that color on the 'net. The steering wheel in the picture is a '60 Imperial unit from an old SMP annual. I plan to make a resin copy and then modify it slightly. 1960 Chrysler Corp. steering wheels are the coolest thing for customs. 1960 Plymouth and Dodge wheels are really far out!

BTW, the upholstery pattern isn't really an Escher design. It's just a paisley that I got off the net. Here's how it looks blown up.

3359074-seamless-paisley-pattern.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back at work on "The Big Bug" (as Mothra is affectionately called). She's just waiting for the body transplant.

IMGP4863.jpg

IMGP4864.jpg

IMGP4865.jpg

Got the roof painted last night - HOK Snow White Pearl. Not sure if really like it or not but here we go anyway. I've never used HOK paint before and the pearl makes the surface looks rough even though it's perfectly smooth to the touch and I went over it lightly with 2000 grit. I guess the clear coat will tell all.

IMGP4873.jpg

The rest of the body is going to be Duplicolor Black Cherry. It's a discontinued color that I found in my paint cabinet. Here's the spoon test.

IMGP4872.jpg

It mostly just looks black in the photo but you can pick up on a little of the cherry highlight. Might not get back to it this weekend and I want to give the pearl plenty of time to harden up anyway before I re-mask for the next color.

:blink:

WOW!!

Mr Moto, for being a year in the box, you certainly have made "magnificent" progress on "Mothra!"

The beauty of that interior is "out of this world!" It is a joy to watch another craftsman work his wonders in plastic!

Thank You for sharing with Us all here! I will be watching as will many others!

Thank You again

Later

Russ

;)

how did you do that with the seats ??? that hole concept is a out right killer for sure !!!!

Look at some of the earlier pics that I posted and you can probably see what I did. You just cut a hole in the seat and sand the edges smooth. Then fill the hole with sheet styrene and you're done.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now it's in Technicolor!

IMGP4982.jpg

I've been slow getting back to work on this but now it has paint. That pic's after the first clear coat. I'll give it a good going over tomorrow and another coat of clear. I decided that I just didn't like the HOK pearl so I went back to what I know. It's been replaced by Duplicolor Ivory Glacier Pearl.

It's so close to being done but I know better than to rush anything. That's always a mistake for me. Still needs to be foiled but then it's just straightforward assembly (I hope!). Next stop: Under Glass.

Edited by mr moto