Model Cars Magazine Forum

GAH! I just can't do it.

I have built a few really "Box Stock" cars and trucks awhile back. A few years ago I got tired of trying to build and paint some kits, so, to try and get myself outa the rut that I was in, I took some kits out of their boxes, cleaned them up a bit and then just glued them together and then put them back in the boxes that they came out of. No paint, no nothin, just cleaned up and glued together. Now, that's really box stock. :D:P:wacko: Dan

P.S. Now I'm taking them apart and trying to fix them up. :wub:

I'm going to be contrary on this one. I've been modeling for most of my 56 years. The last thing I finished was in 1988! Since then, I've been a reluctant kit collector! The thing was, I won some contests in the mid '80's and winning trophies became primary to just having fun with models. Now,I have lived with this nonsense enough, and am currently setting up a new shop since I got married and moved to Indiana last October. I got bogged down and lost scope of what model car replication was all about. When I get my shop finished, I am going to just build when I want to, my style, and comfort level. And remember this, every model we build began as a box stock kit!

I don't think very many experienced modelers do much box stock building. Maybe a beginner will do it that way until they get the hang of it... but I'm sure the urge to "do it your way" comes into play pretty soon.

I see box stock as pretty much nothing more than a specialized contest category... probably not too many people in the "real world" build that way.

Try this approach ....

Look at it as a challenge rather than an obstacle ! Box stock at the shows is the class with the highest number entered .

To take a first , you have to be at the top of your game , here ! Right ? Build it as though your life depended on it . Every single mold line sanded , every part perfectly positioned , killer paint , decals , etc , you know the drill !

Build a subject you throughly enjoy ! After you've shown it , you can always take it back apart and detail it to the max . Win win situation !

Oh , and quit banging your head off things . There are too many examples around here of how it can alter your thinking process and how you'll turn out later in life !!!!

Yes ! I am one of them !!! Lol !

Harry - I am definately in disagreement with you about this catagory and more aligned with LoneWolf15. I have always seen box stock at the top of the heap in contests and I am sure that will cause some disagreement but here is my logic. Box stock is nothing but pure modeler skill in the very basics of our hobby. It is about the cleanest of the clean builds or as near to perfection as you can get without the usual "cheats" of hidding stuff under detail or custom body work or all the other little tricks we all have to conceal our mistakes. It takes a lot to take what came in the box an make it into a really first class model. Minuet attention to detail is the name of the game. I don't compete in this catagory often, because it takes a lot of work to put a top notch model on the table.

As to it being a beginers catagory, I can see that point of view, but I believe it really appeals to a select group of top flight modelers who really want to compete one on one without the clutter of aftermarket/scratch build stuff. Just cleanup, fit, assembly and paint quality.

Best time I ever had was many years ago two of my best modeling buddys and I all built the same kit box stock and painted it with the same exterior paint and put them on the table at one of the bigger model contests and then stood back and watched the fun. This was a test of all our skills enhansed by a friendly competition. For those intersted here is a photo of my entry.

I have always felt that box stock can be one of the toughest catagories.

360high.jpg

Guys, this box stock dilemma is nothing new....it's a bugaboo we all trip over once we have built a few models. You have that burning desire to individualize your model, detail the woof out of it and make it something that you can point to and say "I did that".

Here's a quick fix.......get outside your comfort zone!

Instead of building something that bugs you to add all those little things that you know are supposed to be there....try something like this that you may not be familiar with...

Aboxstock001.jpg

Aboxstock005.jpg

It's 1/12th scale, highly detailed, chrome and brass plated parts, pin stripping decals, the plastic parts are for the most part in their proper colors and it even comes with it's own display base. Built right from the box with a little paint here and there it makes a great display model. Over 300 parts and very enjoyable to build.

The finished model looks just like it does on the box.

I built one years ago and was quite pleased......however, it's now time to again detail the B Jeeze out of one, I got PKs photo CD of the real deal and have been doing some research so as the dust settles I've come to realize that once you build one model of anything you can pretty much forget box stock.

Harry - I am definately in disagreement with you about this catagory and more aligned with LoneWolf15. I have always seen box stock at the top of the heap in contests and I am sure that will cause some disagreement but here is my logic. Box stock is nothing but pure modeler skill in the very basics of our hobby. It is about the cleanest of the clean builds or as near to perfection as you can get without the usual "cheats" of hidding stuff under detail or custom body work or all the other little tricks we all have to conceal our mistakes.

I have always felt that box stock can be one of the toughest catagories.

You didn't understand my point.

What I said was that box stock is more a particular way of building for contests than it is the way most regular modelers build.

Yeah, it may be a "hard" contest category to do well, and I wasn't saying it was an easy way to build. My point is that It's a "specialized" contest category, not the way most experienced modelers would build a model that they build for themselves (not specifically to enter in the box-stock class of a contest).

So I'll stand by my opinion: most modelers probably don't build box stock unless they are doing so specifically as an entry in the box-stock class of a contest.

What I said was that box stock is more a particular way of building for contests than it is the way most regular modelers build.

Yeah, it may be a "hard" contest category to do well, and I wasn't saying it was an easy way to build. My point is that It's a "specialized" contest category, not the way most experienced modelers would build a model that they build for themselves (not specifically to enter in the box-stock class of a contest).

So I'll stand by my opinion: most modelers probably don't build box stock unless they are doing so specifically as an entry in the box-stock class of a contest.

The way I read your post is that there's a big difference between building a kit "box stock" out of the box, as is, and as required for some contests, and building "factory stock" which is accurate to the 1:1, without any particular customizing, but involves a lot more detailing.

Edited by sjordan2

The way I read your post is that there's a big difference between building a kit "box stock" out of the box, as is, and as required for some contests, and building "factory stock" which is accurate to the 1:1, without any particular customizing, but involves a lot more detailing.

Nope. I wasn't even considering "Factory Stock," which is a completely different thing from "Box Stock" altogether.

Let me recap my initial post.

I think that a lot of people new to model cars, whether kids or adults, probably start out building their models more or less box stock, if for no other reason than they're unfamiliar with building a model kit... so they're naturally going to follow the directions and build the kit the way it's "supposed" to be built.

But once a person has a few kits under their belt, I would think that building box stock would get boring soon, and the urge to do things your own way (wheel swap, engine detailing, whatever) comes into play for most people.

So that's why I think most experienced modelers who build for their own satisfaction would tend to not build a kit box stock unless they are specifically doing so in order to enter the model in the "Box Stock" category of a contest. Of course that's not 100% true in every case... Sure, there are guys who do build box stock, even if they don't intend to enter it in the box stock class of a contest. But my guess would be that most modelers don't build box stock in general; only for a specific reason. That's why I see box stock as more of a specialized "contest thing" than the way most people build in general.

Now "Factory Stock" is a whole different thing, and has nothing necessarily to do with "Box Stock." After all, I can build a 100% box stock chopped '49 Mercury that has nothing to do with being a "factory stock" model. Same with a Monkeemobile, or any show rod, for example. All can be built "box stock" while none of them would be "factory stock."

Yep, ok now I understand your feelings about it. The way you worded your first statment is came across as "only beginers build box stock. Experienced modelers don't waste their time on it." Not what you ment. Ok.

Building for competition sometimes take the fun out of the build. For that reason, every few years I build a model box stock. Usually because it's a subject matter I like but not so much that I have the patience to give a pile of time to it. Quick & pretty & out of my system.

Sometimes, I'll put it on the contest table with no aspirations of winning but it supports the show's model count and sometimes attendees just want to see how the thing looks built.

I've been wanting to add a box stock build to my collection as well as trying my luck with it in competition. The problem is I just can't seem to build it box stock. I hate the idea of not wiring spark plugs. Or having to use stock wheels/tires or not adding exhaust tips. So many little things I do to make the model look finished to my satisfaction are against the "box stock" rules. :angry:

We need a *head banging on desk* emoticon.

It sounds like you DON'T want to build a box stock model.I think though that you just need to find the right model to build box stock like the galaxie chevy or the galaxie trailers as they don't have an engine to worry about wiring. How about a Meyer's manx that looks fun to build right out of the box.

Guys, this box stock dilemma is nothing new....it's a bugaboo we all trip over once we have built a few models. You have that burning desire to individualize your model, detail the woof out of it and make it something that you can point to and say "I did that".

Here's a quick fix.......get outside your comfort zone!

Instead of building something that bugs you to add all those little things that you know are supposed to be there....try something like this that you may not be familiar with...

Aboxstock001.jpg

Aboxstock005.jpg

It's 1/12th scale, highly detailed, chrome and brass plated parts, pin stripping decals, the plastic parts are for the most part in their proper colors and it even comes with it's own display base. Built right from the box with a little paint here and there it makes a great display model. Over 300 parts and very enjoyable to build.

The finished model looks just like it does on the box.

I built one years ago and was quite pleased......however, it's now time to again detail the B Jeeze out of one, I got PKs photo CD of the real deal and have been doing some research so as the dust settles I've come to realize that once you build one model of anything you can pretty much forget box stock.

Don - That is a wonderful looking model! I'll have to look out for one. Looks like a challenge for sure!

I like to build a model box stock every now and then,but it does have to be the "right" model. It gives me a break from building detailed kits and allows me to actually get something finished. When I look at the hundreds of kits I have,there's no way I'm going to be able to build and detail all of them. As far as competing,I don't think there is a category with any stiffer competition IMO. Something else I like to build and never thought I would,are curbsides.

It sounds like you DON'T want to build a box stock model.I think though that you just need to find the right model.

I do. Really. But as I'm building I can't help but think how much better "this" would look with "that" added. I've been kitbashing since dad game me my first kits. It's as natural as breathing to me. I don't see a kit to be built, but a puzzle to be solved. Since the age of 10 (43 now) I can count my box stockers on one hand.

The box-stock catagory is the toughest catagory at the few shows I go to. I want to see how I measure up. I have found a good kit (AMT '49 Ford Coupe) and am enjoying the build. But I'll tell you this, once it's done with the contests, (I never take a model to any contest more than once) I'll be adding exhaust tips. :)

Maybe if you kind of put yourself in a special mindset. The next build that you want to do box stock, just think "Whats in this box is all I have to work with and the manufacture considers this a "complete kit"." Im working on my first car in MANY years. Its a Ferarri Califronia and I might say it looks quite good for being either hand painted or brush painted and all the time I have put into the details also has come out great. That could be one way to get over your box stock blues. Take a car and do as much detail work as you can. Also since its an exotic car I dont think there is typically much wire or anything else that can be seen anyway. ;)